+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent should apply visitor visa or super visa

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Parent's background:
1. Retired with no income (I would say my parents are financially dependent on me and my brother)
2. Have property valuation document
3. 2 Lacs in bank account but deposited by sister recently.
4. Has car loan which I pay the EMI.

Dad's medical background:
1. Has diabetes and 2 months ago underwent angioplasty. Had brain strokes too but now he is fine.
2. On medicine but no insulin.

Our background:
1. I and my wife are PR. I am in Canada since 5 years and my wife since 2 years.
2. Handsome salary, T4 and NOA in six figure.

My question is should they apply for supervisa or visitor visa? Which one and why?

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
Can someone please help in taking a decision? Thanks.
This should be your call.

Supervisa
If your folks wants to stay for more than 6 months, like a year to 2 years.
Financial support is based on your capacity.

Visitor Visa
If your folks want to stay less than 6 months
They will be assessed if they can be granted a visa (based on financial capabilities, assets, ties in home country)

Reactions: niceguy.sam

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Can someone please help in taking a decision? Thanks.
With the facts that you have mentioned specifically related to your parents financial dependence on you and your brother you would be better off applying for a super visa as your financial capability would be evaluated rather than your parents financial capability. But all said and done you must prove your parents ties back home and their intention to return in order to successfully receive an approval.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
With the facts that you have mentioned specifically related to your parents financial dependence on you and your brother you would be better off applying for a super visa as your financial capability would be evaluated rather than your parents financial capability. But all said and done you must prove your parents ties back home and their intention to return in order to successfully receive an approval.
I think you are right. Supervisa should be the way to go on this. However I have few questions:
  1. What's the duration I should show that I am inviting parent for (confused since Supervisa generally means that the intent to stay is more than 6 months which is not the intent in our case)? Can I show two weeks/ a month?
  2. Will Dad's angioplasty two months ago will cause issues during medical for Supervisa?
  3. For parents ties back home:
    1. Have property valuation document on my dad's name
    2. Sister (unmarried) is in India. Should I mention this?
    3. Brother bought an apartment and the possession will be next year? Should I show that my parents will return to celebrate this?

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
I think you are right. Supervisa should be the way to go on this. However I have few questions:
  1. What's the duration I should show that I am inviting parent for (confused since Supervisa generally means that the intent to stay is more than 6 months which is not the intent in our case)? Can I show two weeks/ a month?
  2. Will Dad's angioplasty two months ago will cause issues during medical for Supervisa?
  3. For parents ties back home:
    1. Have property valuation document on my dad's name
    2. Sister (unmarried) is in India. Should I mention this?
    3. Brother bought an apartment and the possession will be next year? Should I show that my parents will return to celebrate this?
1) Even though a super visa is generally sought for a stay longer than 6 months there is no compulsion that they have to stay for a two year period. This option is more feasible in your case as their financial capability is weak. You may specify a period longer than 6 months in order to justify a super visa application.
2) An angioplasty in itself may not be considered a problem as long as your Dad is in general good health and fit to travel. He may require an extended health insurance cover to meet any eventuality in Canada over and above the general health insurance cover mandated for a super visa.
3) Yes highlighting the various ties back home in your cover letter would certainly help their cause.
Hope this helps good luck.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
1) Even though a super visa is generally sought for a stay longer than 6 months there is no compulsion that they have to stay for a two year period. This option is more feasible in your case as their financial capability is weak. You may specify a period longer than 6 months in order to justify a super visa application.
2) An angioplasty in itself may not be considered a problem as long as your Dad is in general good health and fit to travel. He may require an extended health insurance cover to meet any eventuality in Canada over and above the general health insurance cover mandated for a super visa.
3) Yes highlighting the various ties back home in your cover letter would certainly help their cause.
Thank you. Really helpful.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
My dad is applying supervisa however as you can see in the screenshot https://pasteboard.co/IKfqOMl.png (could not upload screenshot here) that it asks for T4 and notice of assessment
Instruction for T4/T1:
You must provide a T4 or T1 slip.
A T4, or a Statement of Remuneration Paid, is an information slip prepared and issued by an employer to tell you and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) how much employment income you were paid during a tax year and the amount of income tax that was deducted.
A T1, General Income Tax Form or Income Tax and Benefit Return, is a form that self‑employed Canadians use to complete their personal income tax return.
Notice of Assessment (required):
You must provide a notice of assessment, which is an annual statement sent by revenue authorities to taxpayers detailing the summary of their income tax return. It includes the amount of their tax refund, tax credit and income tax already paid.

My questions are:
1. How can my dad provide T4 or notice of assessments? Is it supposed to be my documents?
2. Where should he upload his tax returns he files in India?

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
My dad is applying supervisa however as you can see in the screenshot https://pasteboard.co/IKfqOMl.png (could not upload screenshot here) that it asks for T4 and notice of assessment
Instruction for T4/T1:
You must provide a T4 or T1 slip.
A T4, or a Statement of Remuneration Paid, is an information slip prepared and issued by an employer to tell you and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) how much employment income you were paid during a tax year and the amount of income tax that was deducted.
A T1, General Income Tax Form or Income Tax and Benefit Return, is a form that self‑employed Canadians use to complete their personal income tax return.
Notice of Assessment (required):
You must provide a notice of assessment, which is an annual statement sent by revenue authorities to taxpayers detailing the summary of their income tax return. It includes the amount of their tax refund, tax credit and income tax already paid.

My questions are:
1. How can my dad provide T4 or notice of assessments? Is it supposed to be my documents?
2. Where should he upload his tax returns he files in India?
1) Yes your T4 or NOA is required .
2) He can attach his IT return in the Purpose of travel (other) field. This can be done by creating a single upload file containing his purpose of travel letter , IT documents and any other document that can make his profile appear solid.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
1) Yes your T4 or NOA is required .
2) He can attach his IT return in the Purpose of travel (other) field. This can be done by creating a single upload file containing his purpose of travel letter , IT documents and any other document that can make his profile appear solid.
Thanks for your response. I have few more questions. Please bear with it since if I am not asking all at once to avoid confusion.

Background: Dad was a businessman earlier, had a small restaurant (have no documents or license since it's a small city) and was shut down in 2013. After that he has been not working. I and my brother have been supporting since then. Dad files taxes always even though the taxes are NIL and he shows "Income from House Property" and "Income from Business/Profession".

My question is:
1. In Employment section in the form (IMM5257E) for which the instruction is "give details of your employment for the past 10 years....."
Should he say he is self employed under "Current Activity" since 10 years? What should be filled under "Company/Employer/Facility Name"? Or please let me know if we should fill something else given the background above?

2. He missed filing taxes for 2018-2019 but he filed all other years. He has tax returns for 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2019-2020? Should he attach just 2019-2020 or should he attach two of them 2017-2018 and 2019-2020. Not attaching 2018-2019 will matter?

Thanks.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
1) Yes he can state that he is self employed.
2) If he has missed taxes for Financial year 2018x2019 he can still file his returns and since he has been showing below taxable limit income he will not have to pay and penalty. It is better to have all the documents on hand.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
1) Yes he can state that he is self employed.
2) If he has missed taxes for Financial year 2018x2019 he can still file his returns and since he has been showing below taxable limit income he will not have to pay and penalty. It is better to have all the documents on hand.
I checked with accountant and he said that it is not possible to file taxes for Financial year 2018x2019 (previous year) because the rules have changed now. There is no way he can file previous year taxes anymore. Is it true?

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
I checked with accountant and he said that it is not possible to file taxes for Financial year 2018x2019 (previous year) because the rules have changed now. There is no way he can file previous year taxes anymore. Is it true?
Your accountant is incorrect for financial year 2018x19 i.e. for the preceding year you can still file a late return generally a penalty has to be paid for filing it late but since the previous returns are nil return you will not have to pay any penalty as long as you file a nil return.
It is not possible to file a return for Assessment Year 2018x19 i.e. Financial year 2017x18.

niceguy.sam

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Your accountant is incorrect for financial year 2018x19 i.e. for the preceding year you can still file a late return generally a penalty has to be paid for filing it late but since the previous returns are nil return you will not have to pay any penalty as long as you file a nil return.
It is not possible to file a return for Assessment Year 2018x19 i.e. Financial year 2017x18.
Sorry my bad. I was confused between assessment year and financial year. Dad did not file for Financial Year 2017x2018 and as you and accountant both said that it is now not possible to file a return. What should we do now? Should we just attach 2016x2017 and 2018x2019? I am unable to make a decision. Please help. Thanks.

Also what should be filled under "Company/Employer/Facility Name" under employment section when my father is showing Self Employed as you advised earlier? Thanks.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
You can attach the available IT returns and hope for the best. Self employed under the employment section would be the best option.