+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent applying for visa with over-aged dependent

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Hello friends,

Need some advice from members here, please.

I am in Canada on a PGWP, and would like to invite my mother and her over-aged dependent son to visit Canada(27 years old).

He has a health condition that makes him a dependent. He has been to Canada before on a study permit, but returned home later on.

When I enter the GC key, my mother needs to provide a lot of details, which is fine. But for my brother all they ask for is the application, passport and digital photo. Where can I provide further details about his case. For example a doctors note etc justifying the claim for his dependency. Or would I be going out of the way in submitting a doctors note for his case as it's not asked for. Would it be necessary or would it be problematic to indicate a medical case and risk rejection.

At the moment, he is pursuing a masters program in India.

The CIC website states,
Definition of a dependent child as of October 24, 2017

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they’re under 22 years old, and
  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner.
Children 22 years old or older (also known as an overage dependent children) qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Any input is appreciated.

Coolgal

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello friends,

I am in Canada on a PGWP, and would like to invite my mother and her over-aged dependent son to visit Canada(27 years old).

He has a health condition that makes him a dependent. He has been to Canada before on a study permit, but returned home later on.

When I enter the GC key, my mother needs to provide a lot of details, which is fine. But for my brother all they ask for is the application, passport and digital photo. Where can I provide further details about his case. For example a doctors note etc justifying the claim for his dependency. Or would I be going out of the way in submitting a doctors note for his case as it's not asked for. Would it be necessary or would it be problematic to indicate a medical case and risk rejection.

The CIC website states,

Children 22 years old or older (also known as an overage dependent children) qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition.

Coolgal
The dependent/independent definitions you cited are only really relevant for immigrant visa applications. I don’t think it’s really important to provide proof of it for a TRV application, IMO. If you really insist, you can use the Letter of Explanation slot.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello friends,

The CIC website states,

Coolgal
Was his medical condition which makes him a dependent on your mom diagnosed before or after his Canadian study permit?

Also, if he is currently studying for a Master's degree, IMO, he does not fit into the definition of an overage dependent child

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Was his medical condition which makes him a dependent on your mom diagnosed before or after his Canadian study permit?

Also, if he is currently studying for a Master's degree, IMO, he does not fit into the definition of an overage dependent child
He had these problems earlier too, and was an accommodated student in Canada as well. Staying there independently was not something that worked out for him, so he returned.

His condition doesn't let him self-support himself financially, all expenses including schooling is paid for by my parents.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
His condition doesn't let him self-support himself financially, all expenses including schooling is paid for by my parents.
But, that's quite normal isn't it for other students too i.e. their parents fund their education and other expenses?

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
But, that's quite normal isn't it for other students too i.e. their parents fund their education and other expenses?
I mean his health condition doesn't help him self-support financially, not the condition of being a student. Our concern is whether he may be rejected on medical inadmissibility grounds.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I mean his health condition doesn't help him self-support financially, not the condition of being a student.
Maybe you're misinterpreting the IRCC definition of an 'overage dependent child'. Most students or even young adults cannot support themselves financially, and they are usually financially dependent on their parents.

If your mom's son was able to clear the study permit medicals (despite having a health condition) + he was able to study without your mom accompanying him/without any caregiver in Canada + he is currently able to study for a Master's degree.... then IMO, you're going to find it difficult to convince the visa officer that he is an overage dependent (due to his medical condition)

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Maybe you're misinterpreting the IRCC definition of an 'overage dependent child'. Most students or even young adults cannot support themselves financially, and they are usually financially dependent on their parents.

If your mom's son was able to clear the study permit medicals (despite having a health condition) + he was able to study without your mom accompanying him/without any caregiver in Canada + he is currently able to study for a Master's degree.... then IMO, you're going to find it difficult to convince the visa officer that he is an overage dependent (due to his medical condition)

It's a complex case, he never graduated. Thanks for taking the time, Bryanna. Will try to consult a lawyer for more clarity.