+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-delivered vs Computer-delivered IELTS test in India

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Thanks for reminding me. Overall the test went very well.

- Online booking:
The online booking now allows you to choose you speaking test time (when you register). Choose this time wisely, and aim for 1-1.5 between the speaking test and the remaining components (L, R, W) so you can take a little rest before the 3-hour race :)

- Actual Test:
- You will be given an A4 paper (which has you computer login info candidate No. + password) and a pen. You can write some notes on the paper, but they collect it at the end of each section so it's NOT much useful.
- Each section (L/R/W) has its own paper (with login info). And as I said, are collected and disposed at the end of each section. So, for example, you cannot copy advanced words from reading in the hope to use it later in the writing section.
- You can control text size/color/background color.. etc.
- You can control voice level.
- Timer on the top to remind you of the time remaining (very useful & gentle).

1. Listening:
Perhaps this was the least advantageous section in the computer-based IELTS version.
- Although you get your own headphone and can clearly hear the audio, typing while listening can be a bit challenging. But, this totally depends on the individual's comfort level with typing; which is a skill you need to master for the computer-delivered version.
- You're given a paper but honestly, you'll have NO time to transfer answers.
- Between listening section(s), there is the usual 30 seconds to check your answers and 30 seconds to skim the next section. So this time is to check & review your answers, read the next section, not transfer answers whatsoever.
- No 10 minutes at the end, but ~2 minutes at the end of the listening test to review all the sections.
- Don't ever ever write anything on paper on the hope to transfer it later.
- Difficulty level is about the same in both test types.

Tip:
- Practice listening on a computer + type in answers as you listen.

2. Reading:
Reading is so tremendously improved here.
- You can highlight/copy/past word or sentences easily. Very relaxed and laid-back section overall.
- The T/F/NG section you don't need to type anything, just select the letter from a menu.
- "Summary Completion" part of the reading is so much easier and faster! You can copy text or a word (ctrl+c) and paste it in the blank.
- No search function to search a word (Ctrl+F) isn't working; not sure if it's only me but I tried it few times, didn't work.
- Similar difficulty level with the paper-based test.

Tips:
- Aside from practising reading in a computer, make sure to highlight topic sentences (or thesis) of each paragraph (ie. part 3 which has a long passage, you perhaps want to start highlighting words as you read so you don't loss their location).
- you need to sleep extremely well the night before, staring at the screen for 60 mins isn't vision-friendly.

3. Writing:
- Hands down, this is the best experience ever! Easy planning and flexible writing...I can't emphasise more.
- Word count included under the typing text-box - I find this very very useful because you don't rush yourself to erase an entire well-structured sentence - that you perhaps took few minutes to construct, instead the counting on screen encourages you to write precisely from the beginning.
- You can cut/paste/erase "backspace" and undo sentences easily.
- Restructuring a paragraph is much more easier. Sometime you don't get the question or the task being asked from the first blink, you start typing and then notice "hmm, maybe I'm a bit off topic here, let's change the argument to make it sounds stronger by adding few words here and there to make!".

Tips:
- know your essay type or required structure beforehand, this will guide you through writing & save your time.
- Practice typing but also, more importantly, practice using the right IELTS writing material. For example, to know the widely accepted structure of an IELTS "Agree/Disagree" essay type, use published and authentic books instead of online websites.

This is pretty much my experience today, hopefully we get the result within 5-7 business days as promised.

Hope this helps, (bs: I'm a female).

Best of luck :)
Thanks for the details. I am also thinking to opt for Computer based IELTS. Just one question for the listening section:
Can we highlight the words in the questions(especially MCQs)?

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018

- Online booking:
The online booking now allows you to choose you speaking test time (when you register). Choose this time wisely, and aim for 1-1.5 between the speaking test and the remaining components (L, R, W) so you can take a little rest before the 3-hour race :)

- Actual Test:
- You will be given an A4 paper (which has you computer login info candidate No. + password) and a pen. You can write some notes on the paper, but they collect it at the end of each section so it's NOT much useful.
- Each section (L/R/W) has its own paper (with login info). And as I said, are collected and disposed at the end of each section. So, for example, you cannot copy advanced words from reading in the hope to use it later in the writing section.

1. Listening:
Perhaps this was the least advantageous section in the computer-based IELTS version.
- Although you get your own headphone and can clearly hear the audio, typing while listening can be a bit challenging. But, this totally depends on the individual's comfort level with typing; which is a skill you need to master for the computer-delivered version.
- Between listening section(s), there is the usual 30 seconds to check your answers and 30 seconds to skim the next section. So this time is to check & review your answers, read the next section, not transfer answers whatsoever.
- No 10 minutes at the end, but ~2 minutes at the end of the listening test to review all the sections.

Tip:

2. Reading:
- You can highlight/copy/past word or sentences easily. Very relaxed and laid-back section overall.
- The T/F/NG section you don't need to type anything, just select the letter from a menu.
- "Summary Completion" part of the reading is so much easier and faster! You can copy text or a word (ctrl+c) and paste it in the blank.
- No search function to search a word (Ctrl+F) isn't working; not sure if it's only me but I tried it few times, didn't work.

Tips:
- Aside from practising reading in a computer, make sure to highlight topic sentences (or thesis) of each paragraph (ie. part 3 which has a long passage, you perhaps want to start highlighting words as you read so you don't loss their location).
- you need to sleep extremely well the night before, staring at the screen for 60 mins isn't vision-friendly.

3. Writing:
- Hands down, this is the best experience ever! Easy planning and flexible writing...I can't emphasise more.
- Word count included under the typing text-box - I find this very very useful because you don't rush yourself to erase an entire well-structured sentence - that you perhaps took few minutes to construct, instead the counting on screen encourages you to write precisely from the beginning.
- Restructuring a paragraph is much more easier. Sometime you don't get the question or the task being asked from the first blink, you start typing and then notice "hmm, maybe I'm a bit off topic here, let's change the argument to make it sounds stronger by adding few words here and there to make!".

Tips:
- know your essay type or required structure beforehand, this will guide you through writing & save your time.
- Practice typing but also, more importantly, practice using the right IELTS writing material. For example, to know the widely accepted structure of an IELTS "Agree/Disagree" essay type, use published and authentic books instead of online websites.

This is pretty much my experience today, hopefully we get the result within 5-7 business days as promised.

Was there any sort of disturbance from the candidates nearby due to their typing or anything? It would be great if you reply soon.

Last edited:

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
Thanks for the details. I am also thinking to opt for Computer based IELTS. Just one question for the listening section:
Can we highlight the words in the questions(especially MCQs)?
You are getting a good score. Why are you giving so many attempts?

Lindt

Star Member
Jul 24, 2018
I got my results today.
L: 8.5, R: 8.0, S: 8, W: 6.5 !!!!
I'm short by 0.5 in Writing even though I think I did pretty well in both task 1 & task 2 :(

Even my IELTS Writing consultant (who's a native speaker and been teaching for 10 years) has always given me band 7.0-7.5 in my essays.

feeling sad and disappointed..

Last edited:

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
To qualify I need atleast a 7 in Writing... hence the further attempts. Let me know if I am missing anything.
Ok. I think I lack some information here. According to the colleges in Canada, we need overall band 6 and 6.5 (varies from college to college). Isn't it right? Do you need IELTS Score for something else? Please enlighten me. :|

Amandeep1986

Sep 5, 2018
I got my results today.
L: 8.5, R: 8.0, S: 8, W: 6.5 !!!!
I'm short by 0.5 in Writing even though I think I did pretty well in both task 1 & task 2 :(

Even my IELTS Writing (who's native speaker and been teaching for 10 years) has always given me band 7.0-7.5 in my essays.

feeling sad and disappointed..
Do you think you should try for reevaluation?

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Ok. I think I lack some information here. According to the colleges in Canada, we need overall band 6 and 6.5 (varies from college to college). Isn't it right? Do you need IELTS Score for something else? Please enlighten me. :|
yeah. I am in for immigration. hence IELTS GT and not academic.

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
yeah. I am in for immigration. hence IELTS GT and not academic.
Can you tell me if Speaking session is taken by an Indian or a foreigner?
Also, when are you taking the computer-based test and are you going for IDP or British Council?

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018

- Online booking:

- Actual Test:

1. Listening:

Tip:

2. Reading:

Tips:

3. Writing:

Tips:

In writing, are Task 1 and 2 divided into 20 and 40 minutes slots or is the time flexible and we just have to stick to the 60 minutes time period for both the tasks?

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Can you tell me if Speaking session is taken by an Indian or a foreigner?
Also, when are you taking the computer-based test and are you going for IDP or British Council?
As far as my personal experience is concerned they are Indian only. But I think someone mentioned at some different test centres in India foreigners also take speaking tests.
I am appearing on 27th. And this time I am going for IDP one.

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
In writing, are Task 1 and 2 divided into 20 and 40 minutes slots or is the time flexible and we just have to stick to the 60 minutes time period for both the tasks?
The latter one. You will have 1 hour to complete both the tasks. irrespective of what time management you adopt to give your best.

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
The latter one. You will have 1 hour to complete both the tasks. irrespective of what time management you adopt to give your best.
Hey Mohit,
I am booking my date for the exam today. I wanted to ask if you know about the exam centre/centres as during the whole registration process I am unable to see any choice for the centre. Is there just one centre or can we choose from a list of centres for computer based IELTS? And if there is only one centre then do you know which one is it? I need to know it so as to plan my travel and choose the time accordingly.