+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-delivered vs Computer-delivered IELTS test in India

surname

Oct 1, 2018
I got my results today.
L: 8.5, R: 8.0, S: 8, W: 6.5 !!!!
I'm short by 0.5 in Writing even though I think I did pretty well in both task 1 & task 2 :(

Even my IELTS Writing consultant (who's a native speaker and been teaching for 10 years) has always given me band 7.0-7.5 in my essays.

feeling sad and disappointed..
Did you go for the writing review?

AkshayArora

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi all,

I have been following this thread since beginning and courious to attempt computer based as I spent 9-10hrs per day on computer and finds myself more comfortable with screens. However, these 2 below questions are keep coming back in my mind :

1. Listening : Can we write few keywords on paper if we could not catch the answer while listening he audio and put them back in last 2 min . This might happens for 5% questions where you really stuck at answer typing on screen when listening. Suggest?

2: Cambridge publishs ielts 2 times per month(paper based ), how computer based is offering twice per week? Would there be any chance of getting the paper repeat itself on the very week or on the same month? Some else also got this weird thought ? Share insights !

Eagerly waiting as planning to book asap

1 - Yes, you can write anything on a paper. They ask you before the start of the exam if you need a rough sheet and take it back after you are done. A pen is provided too!

2 - They have increased their frequency to daily now, and that too, 2 times a day. Not sure about repetition, but highly unlikely.

AkshayArora

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
I got my results today.
L: 8.5, R: 8.0, S: 8, W: 6.5 !!!!
I'm short by 0.5 in Writing even though I think I did pretty well in both task 1 & task 2 :(

Even my IELTS Writing consultant (who's a native speaker and been teaching for 10 years) has always given me band 7.0-7.5 in my essays.

feeling sad and disappointed..
I also got 6.5 in writing which spoils otherwise good score. One theory is that its a sham, they want you to give the exam again and because other sections have fixed answers, they can deduct maximum in writing only.

Though, I don't oppose or support the theory, just disappointed.

Aruntocanada

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
NOC Code......
1 - Yes, you can write anything on a paper. They ask you before the start of the exam if you need a rough sheet and take it back after you are done. A pen is provided too!

2 - They have increased their frequency to daily now, and that too, 2 times a day. Not sure about repetition, but highly unlikely.
Thanks for shedding light, but i am flabbergasted to see slot is available even for today (Delhi)- how they managing without repeat? Big question for me !

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
It's going to be 3 times a day soon, at least in Bangalore. They're adding a 6pm-9pm batch. :D

prashanfernando

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-12-2018
AOR Received.
18-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-11-2018
Passport Req..
18-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2019
LANDED..........
01-09-2019
Listening is a bit of a challenge, apart from that the rest of the exams are really convenient. Writing task is easier thanks to word counter. The entire exam can be completed in a day (including speaking). Bear in mind that you need to be able to type in as you listen in the listening component. Practice makes it perfect.

paramsingh88

Mar 1, 2018
Hi,
I have my test on 5th October. It is mentioned that they won't take any responsibility for our bags. I'll be going alone so where do you think we can keep the bags? (obviously we have to carry mobile phones and some cash). Please do reply soon.
How was ur test ?.. i also gave today 5th oct GT computerized ielts

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
How was ur test ?.. i also gave today 5th oct GT computerized ielts
It was good. Reading Section 1 was damn easy but Section 3 was a bit difficult, still doable. Listening and Writing were easy too. How was yours?
My Speaking Test was on 3rd of October, I am not sure how good or bad it was... the lady asked me just too many random questions - related to childhood, university, breakfast, mornings, shoes, communication technology, lectures and what not. She didn't let me finish my answers to most of the questions. :/

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
In
Can you suggest, if the speaking test being held on the same day or some another ? Or do we have choice to pick preferred time as to plan travel, etc accordingly.
In Delhi, they assign the date for speaking test themselves. I had chosen 5th for LRW, they informed on 1st that I have my speaking test on 3rd.

Last edited:

shawn18

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
Hyderabad, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-Nov-2018
AOR Received.
29-Nov-2018
IELTS Request
Nov-2018
Med's Done....
29-Nov-2018
Passport Req..
06-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-Jun-2019
LANDED..........
07-Sep-2019
Gave my Speaking test on 05th Oct and LRW today (06th Oct) at IDP Hyderabad, India. They did setup a brand new centre with modern looks, computer cabins and lockers for depositing belongings with individual key provided. They also provided a neck tag ID, also need to enter in-time and out-time manually in a logbook/register.

Listening and Reading were easy and comfortable. They give 2 additional mins to check listening answer towards end of listening, which should be more than enough. Writing topics were easy but asked to answer multiple bullet points which made it difficult to key tab on words. I wrote 180 words in letter and 310 words in essay.. I read through them to reduce/remove some sentences which brought to those figures(initially write 210 words letter and 340 words essay). I didn't reduce further fearing I might lose marks in task achievement.

Overall it was a good experience. Hopefully this time I can achieve desired results.

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
People who got their computer based test results, were you able to get your TRF number online? Or did you have to wait for the hard copy to be delivered? How long does delivery usually take?

My test is on the 9th and I'm hoping to make the draw on the 17th.

Reactions: paramsingh88

AkshayArora

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
People who got their computer based test results, were you able to get your TRF number online? Or did you have to wait for the hard copy to be delivered? How long does delivery usually take?

My test is on the 9th and I'm hoping to make the draw on the 17th.
Hard copy.

7-8 days after main exam.