+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-delivered vs Computer-delivered IELTS test in India

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Hey Mohit,
I am booking my date for the exam today. I wanted to ask if you know about the exam centre/centres as during the whole registration process I am unable to see any choice for the centre. Is there just one centre or can we choose from a list of centres for computer based IELTS? And if there is only one centre then do you know which one is it? I need to know it so as to plan my travel and choose the time accordingly.
I can only answer about the test center in New Delhi. If you are planning to appear here, then here it is only one center that is in Internation Trade Tower, Nehru Place, New Delhi(you wont have the option to choose one as it is the only one). As far as they intimate me I have the same venue for the S & LRW.
Hope this helps!

PinkFloyd89

Star Member
Sep 5, 2018
Booked my computer based IELTS today for Oct 9 in New Delhi. There were so many slots available, even there was a slot available for 28 Sept! That is insane.

Aruntocanada

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I have been following this thread since beginning and courious to attempt computer based as I spent 9-10hrs per day on computer and finds myself more comfortable with screens. However, these 2 below questions are keep coming back in my mind :

1. Listening : Can we write few keywords on paper if we could not catch the answer while listening he audio and put them back in last 2 min . This might happens for 5% questions where you really stuck at answer typing on screen when listening. Suggest?

2: Cambridge publishs ielts 2 times per month(paper based ), how computer based is offering twice per week? Would there be any chance of getting the paper repeat itself on the very week or on the same month? Some else also got this weird thought ? Share insights !

Eagerly waiting as planning to book asap

Aruntocanada

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
NOC Code......
Thanks for reminding me. Overall the test went very well.

- Online booking:
The online booking now allows you to choose you speaking test time (when you register). Choose this time wisely, and aim for 1-1.5 between the speaking test and the remaining components (L, R, W) so you can take a little rest before the 3-hour race :)

- Actual Test:
- You will be given an A4 paper (which has you computer login info candidate No. + password) and a pen. You can write some notes on the paper, but they collect it at the end of each section so it's NOT much useful.
- Each section (L/R/W) has its own paper (with login info). And as I said, are collected and disposed at the end of each section. So, for example, you cannot copy advanced words from reading in the hope to use it later in the writing section.
- You can control text size/color/background color.. etc.
- You can control voice level.
- Timer on the top to remind you of the time remaining (very useful & gentle).

1. Listening:
Perhaps this was the least advantageous section in the computer-based IELTS version.
- Although you get your own headphone and can clearly hear the audio, typing while listening can be a bit challenging. But, this totally depends on the individual's comfort level with typing; which is a skill you need to master for the computer-delivered version.
- You're given a paper but honestly, you'll have NO time to transfer answers.
- Between listening section(s), there is the usual 30 seconds to check your answers and 30 seconds to skim the next section. So this time is to check & review your answers, read the next section, not transfer answers whatsoever.
- No 10 minutes at the end, but ~2 minutes at the end of the listening test to review all the sections.
- Don't ever ever write anything on paper on the hope to transfer it later.
- Difficulty level is about the same in both test types.

Tip:
- Practice listening on a computer + type in answers as you listen.

2. Reading:
Reading is so tremendously improved here.
- You can highlight/copy/past word or sentences easily. Very relaxed and laid-back section overall.
- The T/F/NG section you don't need to type anything, just select the letter from a menu.
- "Summary Completion" part of the reading is so much easier and faster! You can copy text or a word (ctrl+c) and paste it in the blank.
- No search function to search a word (Ctrl+F) isn't working; not sure if it's only me but I tried it few times, didn't work.
- Similar difficulty level with the paper-based test.

Tips:
- Aside from practising reading in a computer, make sure to highlight topic sentences (or thesis) of each paragraph (ie. part 3 which has a long passage, you perhaps want to start highlighting words as you read so you don't loss their location).
- you need to sleep extremely well the night before, staring at the screen for 60 mins isn't vision-friendly.

3. Writing:
- Hands down, this is the best experience ever! Easy planning and flexible writing...I can't emphasise more.
- Word count included under the typing text-box - I find this very very useful because you don't rush yourself to erase an entire well-structured sentence - that you perhaps took few minutes to construct, instead the counting on screen encourages you to write precisely from the beginning.
- You can cut/paste/erase "backspace" and undo sentences easily.
- Restructuring a paragraph is much more easier. Sometime you don't get the question or the task being asked from the first blink, you start typing and then notice "hmm, maybe I'm a bit off topic here, let's change the argument to make it sounds stronger by adding few words here and there to make!".

Tips:
- know your essay type or required structure beforehand, this will guide you through writing & save your time.
- Practice typing but also, more importantly, practice using the right IELTS writing material. For example, to know the widely accepted structure of an IELTS "Agree/Disagree" essay type, use published and authentic books instead of online websites.

This is pretty much my experience today, hopefully we get the result within 5-7 business days as promised.

Hope this helps, (bs: I'm a female).

Best of luck :)
Thanks for the detailed review! Truely a booster for aspirants like me.

Would you please share contact of the trainer for professional easy correction. I would seek advice from him. You can pm me pls .

Thanks

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
I can only answer about the test center in New Delhi. If you are planning to appear here, then here it is only one center that is in Internation Trade Tower, Nehru Place, New Delhi(you wont have the option to choose one as it is the only one). As far as they intimate me I have the same venue for the S & LRW.
Hope this helps!
Great. Yes I wanted to know about Delhi only.
I think you have taken the test on 27th.
Would you like to share your experience?
What time slot did you choose and which time slot would you recommend?
How many candidates are there in the room at a time? (I mean are there too many?)
Can we choose different time for speaking section as mentioned by someone in this very thread?
Do share the topics given to you in Writing and Speaking sections.
Thanks in advance and best of luck for your result :D

kanak90

Sep 4, 2018
Hope this helps!
Hi,
I have my test on 5th October. It is mentioned that they won't take any responsibility for our bags. I'll be going alone so where do you think we can keep the bags? (obviously we have to carry mobile phones and some cash). Please do reply soon.

Reactions: paramsingh88

sgrv

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi, I found computer based test conducted by IDP IELTS in Bangalore. Can I takes these for canadian immigration?

PinkFloyd89

Star Member
Sep 5, 2018
Hi, I found computer based test conducted by IDP IELTS in Bangalore. Can I takes these for canadian immigration?
Of course!
Computer based IELTS is being conducted in few Metro cities only in India and you should take advantage of this opportunity :)
Best of luck for your exam.

Reactions: sgrv

surname

Oct 1, 2018
Hi,
I have my test on 5th October. It is mentioned that they won't take any responsibility for our bags. I'll be going alone so where do you think we can keep the bags? (obviously we have to carry mobile phones and some cash). Please do reply soon.
They have a facility to keep bags, they simply stash under a covered table and give you a sticker with a number

Reactions: kanak90