+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-delivered vs Computer-delivered IELTS test in India

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
Hi, Is any taking Computer Delivered test on 5-January at 9am? Please stay tuned to this forum. Let's discuss the answers after the test.

Maxpandey

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Secunderabad
NOC Code......
Dear All, Though I am not sure it is a relevant question or not, however I am a bit confused with the answers. I have a specific question that whether "IDP Computer Based IELTS" is accepted for Canada Immigration?

Thanks for answering the query.

Regards
Max

sanjnary

Jan 17, 2019
I had a lot of questions about CD IELTS and not enough information available on the internet about Computer based IELTS so I am writing about it. This will help you if you are taking CD IELTS in Hyderabad or CD IELTS anywhere. I took the General Training module.

1. I chose the early morning slot and was asked to come at 8:15am, the test started at 9. It ended at 11:45 (approx). My speaking test was on the same day at 2:40pm. There is no option to choose Speaking Test Slots in CD IELTS.
  2. There is free car and bike parking available in the cellar for IELTS test takers. Just say IDP and park in the designated slot in Gowra Trinity. I am told there is a limit of 5 cars. A person who didn’t know this had taken a ticket and paid 50 Rs/ hour. It was about 5 hours.
  3. There is no need to carry a printout of the email. Only your passport is necessary. I wish they had mentioned this in the email, this would have saved some trouble for people and also saved a ton of paper.
  4. There are lockers available for big bags and small items can be put in numbered pouches that the security guard collects and keeps in his locker. You do not get a token for this, you are only recognised by a tag that is given to you and are supposed to wear.
  5. The test takers are provided with a pencil, a pen, an eraser and a sharpener. There are some sheets with logic credentials available which can be used to take notes if needed.
  6. At the computer, you will be given separate login credentials for each section. You need to use these to login for each section. You have a choice of using a standard font, large font or extra large font. I chose large because it made it easier to read.
  7. You also have a choice of changing the colours of the font and the background. I chose the Yellow on Black option. You can choose the one that makes you feel comfortable. When you choose an option, you can see how it looks and decide on which one you like. Black and yellow was easiest to read to read for me.
  8. Unlike regular IELTS, there is no extra time provided in the listening section to transfer answers. I originally thought that this would make it difficult but in practice, it was no trouble at all.
  9. In reading, I had a lot of time left over, something like 35 minutes. My strategy was something where I only read the questions and then searched for the answers. I wished that this time could have been utilised for writing.
  10. I never took the paper IELTS, however, I have taken the TOEFL twice before and the benefits of a computer based test are clear. Writing can be edited and checked multiple times. If you are a fast typer, it is extremely easy for you. This does not mean your essay automatically gets better but at least you can check and retype things that you felt were bad.
  11. I registered online and paid Rs 13450 using CC. They sent a book in 2 days which contains previous test papers and a CD for listening to the audio.
My score was announced on Saturday (I took the test on Tuesday-Dec 4). I got

L- 9

S- 8.5

R- 9

W- 7

I must add that I have given my score of writing and speaking for Enquiry on Result (EoR) and the cost for it is 9980 for CD IELTS vs 9500 for Paper Based IELTS. They return your money if you have a score increase, there is no chance for a score decrease.

sanjnary

Jan 17, 2019
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed review.
I would like to know your scores before and after EOR. It would be helpful if you can provide some information regarding your test experiences. Any suggestions regarding writing tasks ? what is the word count of your second task in writing if you can recollect. Any tips for practicing LRSW.

Thank you.

sanjnary

Jan 17, 2019
I had a lot of questions about CD IELTS and not enough information available on the internet about Computer based IELTS so I am writing about it. This will help you if you are taking CD IELTS in Hyderabad or CD IELTS anywhere. I took the General Training module.

1. I chose the early morning slot and was asked to come at 8:15am, the test started at 9. It ended at 11:45 (approx). My speaking test was on the same day at 2:40pm. There is no option to choose Speaking Test Slots in CD IELTS.
  2. There is free car and bike parking available in the cellar for IELTS test takers. Just say IDP and park in the designated slot in Gowra Trinity. I am told there is a limit of 5 cars. A person who didn’t know this had taken a ticket and paid 50 Rs/ hour. It was about 5 hours.
  3. There is no need to carry a printout of the email. Only your passport is necessary. I wish they had mentioned this in the email, this would have saved some trouble for people and also saved a ton of paper.
  4. There are lockers available for big bags and small items can be put in numbered pouches that the security guard collects and keeps in his locker. You do not get a token for this, you are only recognised by a tag that is given to you and are supposed to wear.
  5. The test takers are provided with a pencil, a pen, an eraser and a sharpener. There are some sheets with logic credentials available which can be used to take notes if needed.
  6. At the computer, you will be given separate login credentials for each section. You need to use these to login for each section. You have a choice of using a standard font, large font or extra large font. I chose large because it made it easier to read.
  7. You also have a choice of changing the colours of the font and the background. I chose the Yellow on Black option. You can choose the one that makes you feel comfortable. When you choose an option, you can see how it looks and decide on which one you like. Black and yellow was easiest to read to read for me.
  8. Unlike regular IELTS, there is no extra time provided in the listening section to transfer answers. I originally thought that this would make it difficult but in practice, it was no trouble at all.
  9. In reading, I had a lot of time left over, something like 35 minutes. My strategy was something where I only read the questions and then searched for the answers. I wished that this time could have been utilised for writing.
  10. I never took the paper IELTS, however, I have taken the TOEFL twice before and the benefits of a computer based test are clear. Writing can be edited and checked multiple times. If you are a fast typer, it is extremely easy for you. This does not mean your essay automatically gets better but at least you can check and retype things that you felt were bad.
  11. I registered online and paid Rs 13450 using CC. They sent a book in 2 days which contains previous test papers and a CD for listening to the audio.

L- 9

S- 8.5

R- 9

W- 7

I must add that I have given my score of writing and speaking for Enquiry on Result (EoR) and the cost for it is 9980 for CD IELTS vs 9500 for Paper Based IELTS. They return your money if you have a score increase, there is no chance for a score decrease.

Hi,
I would like to know your scores before and after EOR. It would be helpful if you can provide some information regarding your test experiences. Any suggestions regarding writing tasks ? what is the word count of your second task in writing if you can recollect. Any tips for practicing LRSW.

Thank you.

tristam15

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi,

Thank you.
My EoR has not come back yet, so I can't tell you yet. I will update my score when it comes back.

My tips are already mentioned in the post, nothing more I can think of. I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

Maxpandey

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Secunderabad
NOC Code......

L- 9

S- 8.5

R- 9

W- 7

Thanks for the valuable feedback on this topic. I am planning to take the CBT in the month of Feb. I am also from Hyderabad. Which was your center of examination? Also, did you prepared additionally for CBT listening? I have given PTE once, so I am familiar with the Computer based exams, however I am getting a feeling that listening can be tricky.

Thanks for answering the queries.

Max

tristam15

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for the valuable feedback on this topic. I am planning to take the CBT in the month of Feb. I am also from Hyderabad. Which was your center of examination? Also, did you prepared additionally for CBT listening? I have given PTE once, so I am familiar with the Computer based exams, however I am getting a feeling that listening can be tricky.

Thanks for answering the queries.

Max
Hi Max,

There is only one centre in Hyderabad which is in Begumpet Opp US Embassy, Beside Passport Seva Kendra.

Regarding listening on CB Test, I prepared using the official test materials and practiced in the traditional method by writing down answers in a book. I was a little scared with listening because it allows no extra time to transfer answers in case of CD IELTS. But I had no problem during the test, it was fairly simple for me and I got 9 in listening.

Reactions: Maxpandey

Rosepetraa

Aug 26, 2018
I've been reading reviews and feedbacks of computer based test and spoke with few people also who gave CB test. U know what, not even a single person has achieved 7+ in writing. I haven't heard or seen a single post in forums where anyone mentioned that he or she got 7 in writing in CB test. This is so disappointing and surprising considering people felt that writing on computer was much easier and they could/did write better in much less time . Even I experienced the same . I gave CB test and was expecting 7-7.5 in writing but got 6.5. So something really wrong with CB test. Experience wise people are finding are it much better than paper test , but results are worse if compared to PB test. Probably that's why Computer based test has failed and slots are vacants.
I sat for the CD IELTS test and got LRWS- 9,9,7.5,7.5

Maxpandey

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Secunderabad
NOC Code......
Hi Max,

There is only one centre in Hyderabad which is in Begumpet Opp US Embassy, Beside Passport Seva Kendra.

Regarding listening on CB Test, I prepared using the official test materials and practiced in the traditional method by writing down answers in a book. I was a little scared with listening because it allows no extra time to transfer answers in case of CD IELTS. But I had no problem during the test, it was fairly simple for me and I got 9 in listening.
Thanks for the response!!!

Cheers!!!
Max

Tasbihak

Feb 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I am planning on giving the CB IELTS academic test on 14th February, any tips for the exam.
Should I write the answers on the sheet first and than type on the computer? I am kind of nervous regarding missing out any key info.
Also reading seems relatively similar to SAT reading section, while for the writing, I am a bit worried about the first question/task, any tips regarding that.
Also if the starting time is 2pm when will the exam end, and if I wish to give the speaking test on the same day, how many hours gap would be feasible.

Rosepetraa

Aug 26, 2018
Hi everyone, I am planning on giving the CB IELTS academic test on 14th February, any tips for the exam.
Should I write the answers on the sheet first and than type on the computer? I am kind of nervous regarding missing out any key info.
Also reading seems relatively similar to SAT reading section, while for the writing, I am a bit worried about the first question/task, any tips regarding that.
Also if the starting time is 2pm when will the exam end, and if I wish to give the speaking test on the same day, how many hours gap would be feasible.
The last thing you want to do is write on your paper first before transferring to the computer. You don't have enough time for that.
Use this site
https://ieltsonlinetests.com
Note that for thé CD test, you don't have 10 minutes to transfer your answers. You re given 2 minutes only after thé recording stops

The LWR is approx. 2hrs 45mins

Reactions: Rohit Chhabra

Tasbihak

Feb 1, 2019
The last thing you want to do is write on your paper first before transferring to the computer. You don't have enough time for that.
Use this site
https://ieltsonlinetests.com
Note that for thé CD test, you don't have 10 minutes to transfer your answers. You re given 2 minutes only after thé recording stops

The LWR is approx. 2hrs 45mins
Hi thank you, your absolutely right, I went on and practiced on the website and I didn't need to write the answers on a paper, I was able to write quickly on the computer itself. Thanks :)

Any tips for Task 1 of the writing test?

Rosepetraa

Aug 26, 2018
Hi thank you, your absolutely right, I went on and practiced on the website and I didn't need to write the answers on a paper, I was able to write quickly on the computer itself. Thanks :)

Any tips for Task 1 of the writing test?
Uw.
If you re attempting thé Général IELTS, Task 1 will be a letter (either formal or informal). However, if it's Academic IELTS, you will be asked to explain/describe a graph, a process, a table etc.

Task 1 carries one-third of thé marks. Je familiar and comfortable with Task 1, but practice Task 2 more (It carries more marks)