+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-delivered vs Computer-delivered IELTS test in India

nands

Jul 25, 2018
Hi everyone . I would like to share my experience on CD IELTS and paper pen one ..

In my opinion CD IELTS evaluation is such a crap , I have scored more in paper pen based and I was just 0.5 mark behind the actual 8777 requirement for my visa . So I thought to give a shot via CD IELTS , because I wanted my results faster and am comfortable in typing . I am devastated seeing the results . Ive never scored below 7 in any of the modules in my past 3 attempts (paper pen based) . This CD IELTS is such a crap and they have marked the modules randomly .. Am so pissed off with this IELTS money making business as a whole . Am damn sure I would have got just 2 or 3 wrong answers in listening but you know how much I’ve got ?? Just 6.5 and the funny part is they have valued me as 6.5 in all the modules except reading in which I’ve got 9 . Apparently in reading also am sure that I’ve got couple of mistakes , despite that they’ve given me full marks .. It’s undoubtedly a money making business and the evaluation is unpredictable ..

I personally have lost hope in writing IELTS for my visa .

PS: Some ppl might find my post scary, but trust me , I won’t give up that easily . In recent times i have been hearing a lot of similar stories from test takers who are definitely capable of scoring the desired marks across the modules .. Anyways best of luck for those who are trying hard to hit it .

Montaser_Madi

Oct 27, 2018
Thanks for reminding me. Overall the test went very well.

- Online booking:
The online booking now allows you to choose you speaking test time (when you register). Choose this time wisely, and aim for 1-1.5 between the speaking test and the remaining components (L, R, W) so you can take a little rest before the 3-hour race :)

- Actual Test:
- You will be given an A4 paper (which has you computer login info candidate No. + password) and a pen. You can write some notes on the paper, but they collect it at the end of each section so it's NOT much useful.
- Each section (L/R/W) has its own paper (with login info). And as I said, are collected and disposed at the end of each section. So, for example, you cannot copy advanced words from reading in the hope to use it later in the writing section.
- You can control text size/color/background color.. etc.
- You can control voice level.
- Timer on the top to remind you of the time remaining (very useful & gentle).

1. Listening:
Perhaps this was the least advantageous section in the computer-based IELTS version.
- Although you get your own headphone and can clearly hear the audio, typing while listening can be a bit challenging. But, this totally depends on the individual's comfort level with typing; which is a skill you need to master for the computer-delivered version.
- You're given a paper but honestly, you'll have NO time to transfer answers.
- Between listening section(s), there is the usual 30 seconds to check your answers and 30 seconds to skim the next section. So this time is to check & review your answers, read the next section, not transfer answers whatsoever.
- No 10 minutes at the end, but ~2 minutes at the end of the listening test to review all the sections.
- Don't ever ever write anything on paper on the hope to transfer it later.
- Difficulty level is about the same in both test types.

Tip:
- Practice listening on a computer + type in answers as you listen.

2. Reading:
Reading is so tremendously improved here.
- You can highlight/copy/past word or sentences easily. Very relaxed and laid-back section overall.
- The T/F/NG section you don't need to type anything, just select the letter from a menu.
- "Summary Completion" part of the reading is so much easier and faster! You can copy text or a word (ctrl+c) and paste it in the blank.
- No search function to search a word (Ctrl+F) isn't working; not sure if it's only me but I tried it few times, didn't work.
- Similar difficulty level with the paper-based test.

Tips:
- Aside from practising reading in a computer, make sure to highlight topic sentences (or thesis) of each paragraph (ie. part 3 which has a long passage, you perhaps want to start highlighting words as you read so you don't loss their location).
- you need to sleep extremely well the night before, staring at the screen for 60 mins isn't vision-friendly.

3. Writing:
- Hands down, this is the best experience ever! Easy planning and flexible writing...I can't emphasise more.
- Word count included under the typing text-box - I find this very very useful because you don't rush yourself to erase an entire well-structured sentence - that you perhaps took few minutes to construct, instead the counting on screen encourages you to write precisely from the beginning.
- You can cut/paste/erase "backspace" and undo sentences easily.
- Restructuring a paragraph is much more easier. Sometime you don't get the question or the task being asked from the first blink, you start typing and then notice "hmm, maybe I'm a bit off topic here, let's change the argument to make it sounds stronger by adding few words here and there to make!".

Tips:
- know your essay type or required structure beforehand, this will guide you through writing & save your time.
- Practice typing but also, more importantly, practice using the right IELTS writing material. For example, to know the widely accepted structure of an IELTS "Agree/Disagree" essay type, use published and authentic books instead of online websites.

This is pretty much my experience today, hopefully we get the result within 5-7 business days as promised.

Hope this helps, (bs: I'm a female).

Best of luck :)

hi what is the score you got in ielts CBT

Tasbihak

Feb 1, 2019
Hi everyone. Today I just received SMS from IDP about my IELTS result.
I got LRWS - 8.5/9/7.5/8 - Overall 8.5. Gave the Computer based exam

I wanted to know that this will be the final result right? Also, should I try and get my Writing rechecked.? I think it can increase to band 8, but I dont think that overall it would make any difference. Any advise anyone?

Memyselfandme

Dec 20, 2018
Hi everyone. Today I just received SMS from IDP about my IELTS result.
I got LRWS - 8.5/9/7.5/8 - Overall 8.5. Gave the Computer based exam

I wanted to know that this will be the final result right? Also, should I try and get my Writing rechecked.? I think it can increase to band 8, but I dont think that overall it would make any difference. Any advise anyone?
When did you give the exam and which country

bobanil

Aug 3, 2018
Hi everyone . I would like to share my experience on CD IELTS and paper pen one ..

In my opinion CD IELTS evaluation is such a crap , I have scored more in paper pen based and I was just 0.5 mark behind the actual 8777 requirement for my visa . So I thought to give a shot via CD IELTS , because I wanted my results faster and am comfortable in typing . I am devastated seeing the results . Ive never scored below 7 in any of the modules in my past 3 attempts (paper pen based) . This CD IELTS is such a crap and they have marked the modules randomly .. Am so pissed off with this IELTS money making business as a whole . Am damn sure I would have got just 2 or 3 wrong answers in listening but you know how much I’ve got ?? Just 6.5 and the funny part is they have valued me as 6.5 in all the modules except reading in which I’ve got 9 . Apparently in reading also am sure that I’ve got couple of mistakes , despite that they’ve given me full marks .. It’s undoubtedly a money making business and the evaluation is unpredictable ..

I personally have lost hope in writing IELTS for my visa .

PS: Some ppl might find my post scary, but trust me , I won’t give up that easily . In recent times i have been hearing a lot of similar stories from test takers who are definitely capable of scoring the desired marks across the modules .. Anyways best of luck for those who are trying hard to hit it .
I agree to you Buddy...Its a new kind of Business for IDP...I even scored good 7.5/7/7/6.5(writing) in paper based with BC. And second time I got 7.5/7.5/7/6.5(writing) again and thought of writing CDIELTS. To my Surprise I got 7/7/6/5.5(writing)..Can you believe that Wriiting on Computer they awarded 5.5...What the heck was my expression initial...But reading somwhere in posts, instead of revaluation most of them recommended for retake. So in all Good hopes I did 4th(2nd on CD-IDP)...Again a shock 7.5/7/6/6...so they gave 0.5 additional in Listening and Writing...And they scored my Speaking as 6 which is hilarious(I do talk daily with US/UK clients since 9yrs)...but they way they score, they think we are at some cambridge University Test...
So I lost Hope on IELTS...they are now a big business...each sitting you spend 13000 rupees...just playing with your career...

My sincere advise to those who wanted to go for CD-IELTS at IDP?? esplly at HYD location, please dont go for it...
Instead go for Paper based...

Reactions: Yorkie2020

Sachin15

Oct 17, 2018
Guys,
What system they provide? Laptop(+ mouse) or desktop.? What is level as compared to iletsonline listening test?please share your views.

prashanfernando

Star Member
Apr 21, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-12-2018
AOR Received.
18-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-11-2018
Passport Req..
18-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2019
LANDED..........
01-09-2019
Guys,
What system they provide? Laptop(+ mouse) or desktop.? What is level as compared to iletsonline listening test?please share your views.
Most test centers provide a desktop class environment. Make sure to adjust the headphones for your comfort and listening clarity. The setup is very convenient. As for listening practice as much online listening tests and focus more towards section 3 and section 4 as they progressively get tougher and you need to be very alert. Make use of the 30 seconds breaks between subsequent section to highlight keywords. Hope this helps!!!

Reactions: Rohit Chhabra

Yorkie2020

Mar 18, 2019
Hi I am writing on May 11th in Delhi, pen and paper-based test. Not taking Computer-based, since I am getting 6.5 in writing in every attempt. Does anyone know, if the headphone is provided for pen and paper-based test? Thanks

oryx_np

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Hi I am writing on May 11th in Delhi, pen and paper-based test. Not taking Computer-based, since I am getting 6.5 in writing in every attempt. Does anyone know, if the headphone is provided for pen and paper-based test? Thanks
No, they don't usually provide headphones for pen and paper-based tests. There might be some centers that do but it is rare. Generally the test is conducted using speakers.

oryx_np

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
hey can we write anser of reading and listerning in capital latter in cd test?
Yes you can. But I suggest you type in capital letters for Listening only because for Reading the spellings already exist in the passages so copying and pasting them is much faster.