18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023

paddukutti

May 10, 2017
Your CB result came out? I am guessing you didn't score 7 in W :(
No dude, I got L7.5 R8 W6 S6. When I wrote PB last time I did not follow any structure, and have very bad handwriting. For that itself they gave 6.5 and now with proper hardwork and practice I took this CB. Finally I got 6. I could not believe this.

Then I realised that my passport is new one, and they wanted to make me take more exams to pass.

Reactions: Aashu5212

priteshgondalia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
No dude, I got L7.5 R8 W6 S6. When I wrote PB last time I did not follow any structure, and have very bad handwriting. For that itself they gave 6.5 and now with proper hardwork and practice I took this CB. Finally I got 6. I could not believe this.

Then I realised that my passport is new one, and they wanted to make me take more exams to pass.
I also gave a CB IELTS few days ago and got 6.5 in writing. Since I am doing practice everyday on a computer, my assumption is that we tend to make more spelling mistakes on the computer than paper which can be the prime reason for less band. I might be wrong, but that is my opinion.
However, I still feel the writing section in CB is easier than PB.

Reactions: paddukutti

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023

Would you share a sample essay you did recently? Much like you, I have given the exam so many times with different tactics. I changed from BC to IDP, flew to a small city thinking I could score higher here, flew to a different country, but I kept scoring 6.5 in writing. Finally, I admitted the problem is me and need to focus improving from 6.5 to 7. I registered with Chris (IELTS Advantage) as I mentioned in this thread before and I submitted the first essay draft to him. He had given me 6! The positives are: I am following the structure well with good paraphrasing and explaining my ideas well, but the problem is I am making too many language errors. Because of this, I am scoring low in Cohesion and Coherence as well as GRA category.

I feel many of the people who are stuck to 6.5 are making too many grammatical errors, but they cannot see themselves. Rather than repeating the exam over and over again, it would be better to get a tutor who can see your mistakes and advise you.

In the first three exams, I scored 6 in writing but later I figured out the mistake I was making: I was putting too many ideas in each paragraph. There's a very clear structure to be followed:

Like I said, I follow Chris and this is what I gathered from his website so far:

Opinion Type Essay Structure (You can check his Free 5 Days Challenge. CLICK HERE)

Introduction (Expected Words: Around 50) (Note: The word count is from me, not from Chris. I analyzed the length of his each paragraph)

i. Paraphrase the question
ii. Thesis statement
iii. Outline statement

Supporting Paragraph One (Expected Words: Around 90)

i. Topic sentence (state your main point)
ii. Explanation (What does your main point mean? Why have you included it? How does it answer the question?)
iii. Example (A specific example that illustrates your main point)

Supporting Paragraph Two (Expected Words: Around 90)

ii. Explanation (What does your main point mean? Why have you included it? How does it answer the question?)

Conclusion (Expected Words: Around 35)

i. Restating your opinion and summarizing the main points of your essay (Varying your vocabulary by paraphrasing)

Total Expected Word Count: Around 265

Discussion Type Essay Structure

Introduction (Expected Words: Around 50)

Sentence 1- Paraphrase Question and/or state both viewpoints.
Sentence 2- Thesis Statement
Sentence 3- Outline Sentence

Main Body Paragraph 1 (Expected Words: Around 90)

Sentence 1- State first viewpoint
Sentence 2- Discuss first viewpoint
Sentence 3- Reason why you agree or disagree with viewpoint
Sentence 4- Example to support your view

Main Body Paragraph 2 (Expected Words: Around 90)

Sentence 1- State second viewpoint
Sentence 2- Discuss second viewpoint

Sentence 1- Summary
Sentence 2- State which one is better or more important

Last edited:

paddukutti

May 10, 2017
Would you share a sample essay you did recently? Much like you, I have given the exam so many times with different tactics. I changed from BC to IDP, flew to a small city thinking I could score higher here, flew to a different country, but I kept scoring 6.5 in writing. Finally, I admitted the problem is me and need to focus improving from 6.5 to 7. I registered with Chris (IELTS Advantage) as I mentioned in this thread before and I submitted the first essay draft to him. He had given me 6! The positives are: I am following the structure well with good paraphrasing and explaining my ideas well, but the problem is I am making too many language errors. Because of this, I am scoring low in Cohesion and Coherence as well as GRA category.

I feel many of the people who are stuck to 6.5 are making too many grammatical errors, but they cannot see themselves. Rather than repeating the exam over and over again, it would be better to get a tutor who can see your mistakes and advise you.

In the first three exams, I scored 6 in writing but later I figured out the mistake I was making: I was putting too many ideas in each paragraph. There's a very clear structure to be followed:

Like I said, I follow Chris and this is what I gathered from his website so far:

Opinion Type Essay Structure (You can check his Free 5 Days Challenge. CLICK HERE)

Introduction (Expected Words: Around 50) (Note: The word count is from me, not from Chris. I analyzed the length of his each paragraph)

ii. Thesis statement
iii. Outline statement

i. Restating your opinion and summarizing the main points of your essay (Varying your vocabulary by paraphrasing)

Sentence 1- Summary
This is the same way wrote this time. Was well prepared. I followed Jay from E2Language.

kapsg_88

Mar 22, 2018
I've been reading reviews and feedbacks of computer based test and spoke with few people also who gave CB test. U know what, not even a single person has achieved 7+ in writing. I haven't heard or seen a single post in forums where anyone mentioned that he or she got 7 in writing in CB test. This is so disappointing and surprising considering people felt that writing on computer was much easier and they could/did write better in much less time . Even I experienced the same . I gave CB test and was expecting 7-7.5 in writing but got 6.5. So something really wrong with CB test. Experience wise people are finding are it much better than paper test , but results are worse if compared to PB test. Probably that's why Computer based test has failed and slots are vacants.

Rajanila

Jan 19, 2018
Category........
FSW
I also gave a CB IELTS few days ago and got 6.5 in writing. Since I am doing practice everyday on a computer, my assumption is that we tend to make more spelling mistakes on the computer than paper which can be the prime reason for less band. I might be wrong, but that is my opinion.
However, I still feel the writing section in CB is easier than PB.

This applies to me as well, until we have practiced to write in notepad, computerized writing is not easier as expected.
I may look like easier but the way we type in computer is harder than paper based.

Well some of them have scored but I feel that it was from practice.

Rajanila

Jan 19, 2018
Category........
FSW

ii. Thesis statement
iii. Outline statement

Sentence 1- Summary
It was one wonderful statement with a precise explaination, I was close to your situation that I was facing. Although IELTS writing have a certain standard, most of the time, I am out of it either due to vague topic or irrelevant example.

Making the right point in right way is very difficult but asking questions and framing the sentence helps.
Thanks

Rina Arora

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Got my reval result from IDP-No change

Computerised Exam
Scores (8.5,8,6.5,7.5)
Revaluation was applied for all sections but purpose was to get .5 inc in writing.
Applied on 31st Oct, Recieved TRF today and date on IDP cover letter is 14th Nov

If anyone is planning to go for reval of computerised writing attempt then please think twice because I have seem various instances where scores are not increased, specifically in computer based. Frankly, I havn’t heard any success story.

I was confident with my exam and did really well.

ajaypsdba

Jul 4, 2018
Hello Folks,
Anyone who has taken computer based IELTS recently can please help me with this clarification.
During listening part can we highlight the questions with yellow for important keywords similar to how we underline in paper based.
I know we can highlight for reading part but my question can we highlight in listening section as well?

ajaypsdba

Jul 4, 2018
Got my reval result from IDP-No change

Computerised Exam
Scores (8.5,8,6.5,7.5)
Revaluation was applied for all sections but purpose was to get .5 inc in writing.
Applied on 31st Oct, Recieved TRF today and date on IDP cover letter is 14th Nov

If anyone is planning to go for reval of computerised writing attempt then please think twice because I have seem various instances where scores are not increased, specifically in computer based. Frankly, I havn’t heard any success story.

I was confident with my exam and did really well.

Hello,
my friend had given ielts through IDP delhi center (computer based) and went for reval and was lucky to have his writing updated to 7 from 6.5

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Hello Folks,
Anyone who has taken computer based IELTS recently can please help me with this clarification.
During listening part can we highlight the questions with yellow for important keywords similar to how we underline in paper based.
I know we can highlight for reading part but my question can we highlight in listening section as well?
From the sample question tests on the official website, yes, you can for all the three modules.

ifunkyk

Jan 16, 2018
I've been reading reviews and feedbacks of computer based test and spoke with few people also who gave CB test. U know what, not even a single person has achieved 7+ in writing. I haven't heard or seen a single post in forums where anyone mentioned that he or she got 7 in writing in CB test. This is so disappointing and surprising considering people felt that writing on computer was much easier and they could/did write better in much less time . Even I experienced the same . I gave CB test and was expecting 7-7.5 in writing but got 6.5. So something really wrong with CB test. Experience wise people are finding are it much better than paper test , but results are worse if compared to PB test. Probably that's why Computer based test has failed and slots are vacants.
This is exactly my feeling. I gave both Paper based and computer based exam. I felt much comfortable and confident with CB IELTS. But turns out, results for CB exam were disappointing. Felt like they were intentionally giving lower scores. Apart from scoring 6.5 in writing yet again(inspite of writing what seemed like my best essay)..specially my speaking score decreased to 6.5 band that never happened in my previous paper 2 based attempts in academic and general when I scored 7.5-8 in speaking. I remember on test day, felt like it went on par or even better than previous attempts.

Finally, only got success with paper based IELTS. So I have my doubts on this mode of test. Why spill our hard earned money on this meretricious IDP Computer based IELTS test. Go with tried and tested Paper based., If possible go for British council option they are better trained evaluators. Just my two cents.