+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner operator LMIA, Work permit and PR

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Thank you! Very clear.
I don't understand why the consultant told me that I have to partner someone for the business set up (in Ontario) and the esdc interview conducted was only with the partner but not myself. (Frustrated. thinking if i am being scammed)
Could be a scam but i wonder what the attorney has to gain by lying about it? Are they telling you that they can connect with your future canadian partner? Maybe they are going after the big buck

fishinfall

Mar 6, 2020
Thank you! Very clear.
I don't understand why the consultant told me that I have to partner someone for the business set up (in Ontario) and the esdc interview conducted was only with the partner but not myself. (Frustrated. thinking if i am being scammed)
Is your consultant is for immigration or business incorporation? Sometime a salesman from immigration firm can scam a lot.

I hired an attorney in BC to help to create the business. He confirmed that I don't need a partner to incorporate a business in BC and hence I created the business with 100% ownership. My attorney who specialized incorporation in BC couldn't even confirm the partnership necessity in other provinces. You probably need to reach out and consult a local business incorporation attorney at the province you want to setup your business. Still, if you really have to create the business in a province where partnership is needed, make sure you own at least 51% share.

Last edited:

Vikram121

Sep 17, 2020
Which province that your company has set up in? I noted from some responses here their company is 100% owned by them and they had the esdc interview themselves.
Can you also tell us how many employees you have in your company before submitted the 00 LMIA application? Thank you
My company was incorporated in Ontario, and I do have Canadian partner, who is my Brother and I have the controlling share of the company. My partner got an interview but not me. You can have 100% of the company but my consultant advised me to have a Canadian partner if possible, I don't know why they interviewed my Canadian partner and not me.

Vikram121

Sep 17, 2020
yes, if you get 00 LMIA positive result, you can use that to get 200 Points in your express entry profile. These 200 points become available to use immediately on the day of positive LMIA

I agree, Work permit is taking longer than expected, so PR option is obviously an alternative.
I have been asking my consultant to put the job offer in Express Entry but he is insisting to wait for the work permit. He told me that IRCC might not approve the job offer as the business is not in operation yet.
Not sure what to do here?
I feel kind of stuck.
I want to apply for PR right away but consultant is saying, its bad idea.
@canadavisaQs did you apply for PR yet? What is your status?

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
I have been asking my consultant to put the job offer in Express Entry but he is insisting to wait for the work permit. He told me that IRCC might not approve the job offer as the business is not in operation yet.
Not sure what to do here?
I feel kind of stuck.
I want to apply for PR right away but consultant is saying, its bad idea.
@canadavisaQs did you apply for PR yet? What is your status?
you need to talk to another consultant and get a second opinion, please keep in mind LMIA is valid only for 6 months and if you don't get work permit in that time, you lost a good oppportunity to get PR.

If you read this thread, you will notice i didn't get Noc 00 LMIA so i can't use it for PR, i got noc 0125 which is only 50 points and i need a lot more than 50 to get into the pool.

Makroh

Nov 14, 2012
you need to talk to another consultant and get a second opinion, please keep in mind LMIA is valid only for 6 months and if you don't get work permit in that time, you lost a good oppportunity to get PR.

If you read this thread, you will notice i didn't get Noc 00 LMIA so i can't use it for PR, i got noc 0125 which is only 50 points and i need a lot more than 50 to get into the pool.
Can’t you apply through BC PNP (with 50 points LMIA )after receiving a nomination?
I think will only delay PR for 3 months only.

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Can’t you apply through BC PNP (with 50 points LMIA )after receiving a nomination?
I think will only delay PR for 3 months only.
i do not know and my attorney didn't even talk about this, the LMIA i got has expired so perhaps i should start looking into it for next LMIA (i will apply again to try and get 00 NOC this time)

harman_778

Star Member
Oct 19, 2016
i do not know and my attorney didn't even talk about this, the LMIA i got has expired so perhaps i should start looking into it for next LMIA (i will apply again to try and get 00 NOC this time)
Hi can i get ur contact details...wanted to check with you on the lawyer you hired for your owner operator program

LGR

Sep 30, 2020
Hi you guys,

My first post on the forum!
Read through most of your threads, but need some advice -if anybody can assist?
Must admit this is really overwhelming... as we are in the starting process of the buying an existing tourism business.
Each and every Immigration consultant is really trying to talk us out of this - but we feel that it's something that we can do and make a success of.
I have a Tourism management degree and strong Tourism management background.
So my "few" questions are:

1) Can anybody suggest a honest company in Canada to assist us with a proper business plan?
2) And more or less what the whole application process will cost? ( Just a ball park figure)
3) What is the chances of the LMIA not being approved? And what is the most common reasons ?
4) Any tips and suggestions? This would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

LGR

Sep 30, 2020
Thanks for sharing this information. $20000 is definitely on the higher side.
When did you register your company? After how many days/months of registering the company did you present your business plan and apply for LMIA?
I do not think you need a law firm to go through this process, but i would definitely hire some one to write a business plan. Business plan is the key to this application.

I used a law firm that didn't do well, so i do not want to give out names so people don't use them.. happy to PM you the name

They charged me around CAD $20,000 for LMIA, WP application, i think its too much but a fair amount is $10,000 for business plan, LMIA and work permit application.
Hello,

Will anybody be willing to share some of the companies / law firms or immigration agents, you used for successful applications? And also for a business Plan?

angdxb

Oct 2, 2020
I am also planning to apply for this. Could you please suggest a good attorney or consultant you have worked with? Also for the business plan - any companies you could refer?

Reactions: ahmeddiab76

ahmeddiab76

Nov 19, 2010
Hello, I am new member here

I am also an OOLMIA applicant. My LMIA has been approved and work permit is in process. I was very nervous in the beginning and it seemed to be very complicated process. My brother helped me a lot with the process who is already in Canada. I did hire a consultant who helped me with Business incorporation, lease agreements, supplier contracts, Business Plans and filing the application. It took 3 months to prepare the application and 45 days for the processing. I didn't get any interview call but my Canadian partner who is my brother got the interview call from ESDC. I started the process last year in Nov and in early April, I got the LMIA approved, but its been 6 months and my work permit is still in processing.

My consultant has advised me not to put the job offer right away in EE, but now that its taking so much time for Work permit, I want to use it and get PR directly.

Kindly, Let me know if there is anyone here who have used the OOLMIA in EE before starting the operations in Canada? and was it successful?
Can you please tell us the Story of OOLMIA ... Is it approved with 50 or 200 points ?

ahmeddiab76

Nov 19, 2010
congratulations and welcome

I am sure you know, interview is the most important part of this process. So prepare for that, also do you mind sharing few things?

what type of business is it?

Are you in Canada? If not, which country?

Is the business operational or will be operational by the time of interview?
Do you think if business is operational in Canada will help for better OOLMIA scoring ?

ahmeddiab76

Nov 19, 2010
Hi you guys,

My first post on the forum!
Read through most of your threads, but need some advice -if anybody can assist?
Must admit this is really overwhelming... as we are in the starting process of the buying an existing tourism business.
Each and every Immigration consultant is really trying to talk us out of this - but we feel that it's something that we can do and make a success of.
I have a Tourism management degree and strong Tourism management background.
So my "few" questions are:

1) Can anybody suggest a honest company in Canada to assist us with a proper business plan?
2) And more or less what the whole application process will cost? ( Just a ball park figure)
3) What is the chances of the LMIA not being approved? And what is the most common reasons ?
4) Any tips and suggestions? This would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
Are you currently outside Canada and want to apply for OOLMIA ?