+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner operator LMIA, Work permit and PR

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
If you get a rejection for your business plan and LMIA, are you eligible to apply again with a different business plan?
yes, free to apply as many times... Fees is around $1000 i think

Did you visit Canada on any exploration visit before applying for LMIA? I'm assuming the company was just registered with no transactions ??
i did not visit, i do not have TRV to visit

The company was registered with no transactions but i did deposit 150k to my bank as a starting capital

fishinfall

Mar 6, 2020
congratulations and welcome

I am sure you know, interview is the most important part of this process. So prepare for that, also do you mind sharing few things?

what type of business is it?

Are you in Canada? If not, which country?

Is the business operational or will be operational by the time of interview?
Thanks.
My attorney also mentioned about the interview and they scheduled a call with me to get prepared for the interview.
I was in the US and my personal managerial work experience referred in my business plan was in the US as well. However, majorly because the COVID, I traveled back to China a few weeks before the LIMA submission. I notified my attorney about the job/location change. They didn't say the change could be problematic.

Due to the nature of my business, the company is 'operational' with minimal transactions. I hired a part-time associate to help me, but it doesn't help much with my remote condition.

I still have a question though, if hypothetically I got the 00 LMIA positive result with 200 points, am I eligible to submit PR application with Express Entry right away given that my score would be above the 470~ threshold? The PR application option makes more sense to me now as the work permit processing time is almost half year now.

IndianIT

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
I have another question please. If we get lucky and we get the LMIA positive with say 50/200 points, we then apply work permit as well and is successful. I understand we need to travel to Canada and start establishing/running the business. Is there an option where we travel to Canada for a month or so, apply for PR and then return back to our country for a while to accumulate funds? Will this be accepted or questioned during PR process as we were supposed to be working within Canada?

Vikram121

Sep 17, 2020
Hello, I am new member here

I am also an OOLMIA applicant. My LMIA has been approved and work permit is in process. I was very nervous in the beginning and it seemed to be very complicated process. My brother helped me a lot with the process who is already in Canada. I did hire a consultant who helped me with Business incorporation, lease agreements, supplier contracts, Business Plans and filing the application. It took 3 months to prepare the application and 45 days for the processing. I didn't get any interview call but my Canadian partner who is my brother got the interview call from ESDC. I started the process last year in Nov and in early April, I got the LMIA approved, but its been 6 months and my work permit is still in processing.

My consultant has advised me not to put the job offer right away in EE, but now that its taking so much time for Work permit, I want to use it and get PR directly.

Kindly, Let me know if there is anyone here who have used the OOLMIA in EE before starting the operations in Canada? and was it successful?

Reactions: ahmeddiab76

hanginthere

Sep 19, 2020
Hello, I am new member here

I am also an OOLMIA applicant. My LMIA has been approved and work permit is in process. I was very nervous in the beginning and it seemed to be very complicated process. My brother helped me a lot with the process who is already in Canada. I did hire a consultant who helped me with Business incorporation, lease agreements, supplier contracts, Business Plans and filing the application. It took 3 months to prepare the application and 45 days for the processing. I didn't get any interview call but my Canadian partner who is my brother got the interview call from ESDC. I started the process last year in Nov and in early April, I got the LMIA approved, but its been 6 months and my work permit is still in processing.

My consultant has advised me not to put the job offer right away in EE, but now that its taking so much time for Work permit, I want to use it and get PR directly.

Kindly, Let me know if there is anyone here who have used the OOLMIA in EE before starting the operations in Canada? and was it successful?
Which province that your company has set up in? I noted from some responses here their company is 100% owned by them and they had the esdc interview themselves.
Can you also tell us how many employees you have in your company before submitted the 00 LMIA application? Thank you

Last edited:

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Thanks.
My attorney also mentioned about the interview and they scheduled a call with me to get prepared for the interview.
I was in the US and my personal managerial work experience referred in my business plan was in the US as well. However, majorly because the COVID, I traveled back to China a few weeks before the LIMA submission. I notified my attorney about the job/location change. They didn't say the change could be problematic.

Due to the nature of my business, the company is 'operational' with minimal transactions. I hired a part-time associate to help me, but it doesn't help much with my remote condition.

I still have a question though, if hypothetically I got the 00 LMIA positive result with 200 points, am I eligible to submit PR application with Express Entry right away given that my score would be above the 470~ threshold? The PR application option makes more sense to me now as the work permit processing time is almost half year now.

yes, if you get 00 LMIA positive result, you can use that to get 200 Points in your express entry profile. These 200 points become available to use immediately on the day of positive LMIA

I agree, Work permit is taking longer than expected, so PR option is obviously an alternative.

hanginthere

Sep 19, 2020
Does anyone know if the requirement to open a business in Canada differs from provinces? Seems some mentioned 100% owned by a foreigner and some said it has to be partner with a Canadian on the business registration?

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Does anyone know if the requirement to open a business in Canada differs from provinces? Seems some mentioned 100% owned by a foreigner and some said it has to be partner with a Canadian on the business registration?
my business is 100% owned by me and i am a foreigner and it is incorporated in BC, officer had no problem with that and i think you must own 50% or more of the business, but i could be wrong in some other province.

hanginthere

Sep 19, 2020
my business is 100% owned by me and i am a foreigner and it is incorporated in BC, officer had no problem with that and i think you must own 50% or more of the business, but i could be wrong in some other province.
Right. I heard from a consultant that in Ontario, it's a must to partner with a Canadian for company registration. (But the consultant can't point me where to find this rule, so I want to ask if anyone knows the details)
My next question is, then who will be the interviewee for the 00 LMIA application? The Canadian or the foreigner? As I read from the above, someone mentioned the interview was conducted inland and by his company partner aka the Canadian (or PR?).
Please can you share with us how did you have the previous interview with esdc? They call your foreign phone no? How long was it?
Thank you

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Right. I heard from a consultant that in Ontario, it's a must to partner with a Canadian for company registration. (But the consultant can't point me where to find this rule, so I want to ask if anyone knows the details)
My next question is, then who will be the interviewee for the 00 LMIA application? The Canadian or the foreigner? As I read from the above, someone mentioned the interview was conducted inland and by his company partner aka the Canadian (or PR?).
Please can you share with us how did you have the previous interview with esdc? They call your foreign phone no? How long was it?
Thank you
Based on my experience and conversation with a lot of folks that have applied for owner operator LMIA here is what i know and i am 99% certain, i am right
  • You do not need a canadian partner, you can have one but you must own 50% or more of the company. I think this rule applies to all provinces, not just BC
  • interview is with applicant for owner operator, if you are in canada or in foreign country it doesn't matter. They email you to set time and then they ask you to call or they can call you, they don't care if you are in canada or bangladesh
  • Interview will typically last 45 minutes to an hour but might need follow up calls

hanginthere

Sep 19, 2020
Thanks.

Hello would you mind telling us if your company is 100% owned by yourself? Where is it incorporated? Thanks

hanginthere

Sep 19, 2020
Based on my experience and conversation with a lot of folks that have applied for owner operator LMIA here is what i know and i am 99% certain, i am right
  • You do not need a canadian partner, you can have one but you must own 50% or more of the company. I think this rule applies to all provinces, not just BC
  • interview is with applicant for owner operator, if you are in canada or in foreign country it doesn't matter. They email you to set time and then they ask you to call or they can call you, they don't care if you are in canada or bangladesh
  • Interview will typically last 45 minutes to an hour but might need follow up calls
Thank you! Very clear.
I don't understand why the consultant told me that I have to partner someone for the business set up (in Ontario) and the esdc interview conducted was only with the partner but not myself. (Frustrated. thinking if i am being scammed)