+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner operator LMIA, Work permit and PR

arahan21c

Aug 14, 2019
The owner operator program requires you to pay yourself a full salary (don't think it has to be high wage) and hire a full time position as well. If your NOC Code doesn't start with 00, you do not get 200 points on your express entry profile.

Based on limited information you provided, i think a better fit for you would be "Start up program" that can give you and all co founders PR straight away. There is no such requirement of paying salary in that program.
Thank you so much. I haven’t recognized it so far. As your advice, I will be trying to understand Startup Program.

arahan21c

Aug 14, 2019
The owner operator program requires you to pay yourself a full salary (don't think it has to be high wage) and hire a full time position as well. If your NOC Code doesn't start with 00, you do not get 200 points on your express entry profile.

Based on limited information you provided, i think a better fit for you would be "Start up program" that can give you and all co founders PR straight away. There is no such requirement of paying salary in that program.
If you don’t mind, can you share your lawyer contact info for consultation about it?

lovesburrito

Mar 17, 2017
India
NOC Code......
Hello,

I am going to create this thread to document my entire journey of applying for LMIA, getting a work permit and then eventually getting PR for Canada.

Age - 33
Nationality - Indian
Dependents - 2 (Spouse and Child)
EE Score - around 350 (Because of no academic qualifications)
IELTS - 7.5 overall

Visitor visa Denied (May 2019)
I was recently denied a Visitors visa to Canada, which i applied myself using the online portal. I have traveled to at least 20 countries with at least 20 trips in last 10 years to US. The reason for denial was standard letter "We don't feel you will return to your home country". In retro-respect, i feel the application was denied because i didn't provide enough documents (or any documents for that matter). I have visas for a lot of countries and i thought based on travel history, any documents showing financial stability or ties to my home country won't be required (lesson learned). I could easily apply again with a good supporting set of documents but my attorney that is doing the LMIA and work permit is suggesting i must wait and just focus on LMIA application.

LMIA Application and process (Started in May 2019, submitting application around Aug 20th 2019)
Started this process around end of may and last 3 months has been just going back and forth between attorney and there team to create business plan and provide support documents for Owner operated LMIA application as a owner in BC with Salary of $55 per hour (High wage category).

According to my attorney this type of application is expedited and gets a decision in 10 Business days, but lately they have been seeing applications taking as long as 4 weeks.

We should be faxing in the application from my attorney's office sometimes next week (Aug 19 to Aug 23 2019).

I have opened a bank account in Canadian Bank, and sent $150,000 to my account as proof of funds for the business, we will be attaching this to LMIA application.

Feel free to ask questions or provide any feedback you might have.
Hi
I was looking to apply for the same for my sister and brother-in-law and this post has been extremely important in reading about the basics of the program. I found some more articles talking about the program however I was unable to find anything substantial directly pertaining to this program. I am trying to find out the procedure for applying to the program once all the other paperwork is taken care of. Is it the same LMIA process as for other work permit or is there a specific application and guide for the same? What is the average processing time? It will be really helpful if you could guide me regarding the same.
Thank you and good luck in your journey

Mikeba

Oct 9, 2019
Can someone clarify that if somene gets a successful owner operator work permit;

The questions are based on a hypothetical scenario wherein work permit is approved but during the first year itself enough points are still not manageable and wherein one has to avail more points using Canadian experience and education. Which may take around 2 years of living in Canada without a PR.

- Can he bring his family to Canada?
- Can the family avail free health care benefits?
- Can the children be avail lower fee structure at universities, similar to a permanent resident?
- Can he work elsewhere, part time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can someone clarify that if somene gets a successful owner operator work permit;

The questions are based on a hypothetical scenario wherein work permit is approved but during the first year itself enough points are still not manageable and wherein one has to avail more points using Canadian experience and education. Which may take around 2 years of living in Canada without a PR.

- Can he bring his family to Canada?
- Can the family avail free health care benefits?
- Can the children be avail lower fee structure at universities, similar to a permanent resident?
- Can he work elsewhere, part time?
- His family can apply for visas to join him but approval is not guaranteed.
- Yes.
- Yes.
- No.

Mikeba

Oct 9, 2019
@scylla many thanks for your quick response, one more query wrt Owner Operator Work Permit;

If the candidate is granted a work permit Class 0, can he/ she immediately apply for EE with additional 200 points without having to complete one full year of business and subsequently get a PR prior to completion of the year provided everything is timed well and all documentation / approvals / points are in place. Is this even a practical possibility?

I have have been told by some it is possible and some have said not until one full year of business operation is complete as the additional 200 points are not granted unless one year is complete amd additional year's job offer is in hand.

I have also been told that after the work permit is approved, one can still be in the process of ground work to commence the business prior to landing in Canada but still commence the EE process with additional 200 points.

Thanks

Danny8965

Jul 26, 2017
I do not think there is a right or wrong amount, obviously the more the better but they might not even look at it as it's just one factor in the entire application. My interview with Service Canada officer is scheduled in next week or so, as soon as i finish my interview i can provide you more information on importance of bank balance.

Keep in mind, i made a mistake of making deposit long before other documents and the money is just sitting there since April 2019 or so. Best would be to deposit money perhaps last thing before submitting your application. That way, it is stuck only for around 4 months. If its just surpless cash and you don't care, then thats a different story.
Thanks for the info man..... looking forward for the outcome of your interview with service Canada

Danny8965

Jul 26, 2017
Thanks for the info man..... looking forward for the outcome of your interview with service Canada
Sorry ... forgot to ask you this question : my lawyer who incorporated/ registered the company for me in Canada ( who’s different than the immigration lawyer ) , stated :

In the company's accounting records, $100.00 CAD will need to be recorded as share capital and the remainder will need to be recorded as a shareholder loan. You may also wish to have the additional amount formally documented as a shareholder loan with loan documentation prepared by a separate lawyer.
The question is :1- do I need this shareholder loan documentation ? ( which needs a seperate lawyer in this case ). I’v asked my immigration lawyer & no answer ! He seems doesn’t know ! 2- I’v paid the fees for the immigration lawyer already ( before applying / getting the work permit ), is this OK ?

Jan 26, 2020
@canadavisaQs all the best for your Interview and did you request GCMS notes for your TV refusals ? I know it won't make any difference now but on a safer side if you request, you'll get to know the exact reason for refusal.
All the best, waiting for your response.

ahmeddiab76

Nov 19, 2010
Dear All ... after review all previous comment .. i would like to explain my situation ...
I already have business in Canada since one year , plus i'm Holder for open work permit as my spouse Study in Canada ..
in this case i can apply for Owner operator LIMA , then open EE Profile to get 200 points ?
Appreciate your advise

.. Thanks

SSohail

Aug 1, 2015
Hello CanadavisaQS

I would like to connect with you because I am on same page. Next week is Owner operator LMIA’s interview. I need to discuss with you few things. Please email me at lahorepakk@gmail.com

i have been unable to msg you.
We hired immigration consultant. We loved the business plan. They have done a good job but I am anxious about the interview and final decision

Reactions: arahan21c

arahan21c

Aug 14, 2019
I am also preparing owner lmia. can I ask you some
Hello CanadavisaQS

I would like to connect with you because I am on same page. Next week is Owner operator LMIA’s interview. I need to discuss with you few things. Please email me at lahorepakk@gmail.com

i have been unable to msg you.
We hired immigration consultant. We loved the business plan. They have done a good job but I am anxious about the interview and final decision