+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner operator LMIA, Work permit and PR

wolfddy

Mar 26, 2020
Hi! I've been following your post for a while. Congratulations on going this far and making such an achievement for yourself and your family! Also, it's incredibly nice of you to spend time on this forum to help ppl out.

QUESTION 1: do you think LIMA owner operation is a program you could DIY?

I understand that it's fairly straightforward to incorporate, get an address, and set up an email account.
But the rest is a bit blurry for me, especially to whom and how should I send all the materials in the application package. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right place.

QUESTION 2: Is there a web page they provided the instruction step by step?

Here is my background for your convenience:

I'm the CEO and co-founder of a startup, which has been running for 4 years, having a few employees in the US. So it's not a new business; I could clearly make sense of the product, the market fit, and the economy behind it. I am thinking about opening a new office in Canada or incorporating in Canada and doing the same business essentially.

QUESTION 3: Is there any difference between the two when it comes to this application?

QUESTION 4: I can write a BP, but do you know if the one for this purpose has any particular expectations from the officers who read it? Or is it just a standard but high-quality BP?

Again, I cannot appreciate enough your input. Please stay safe and healthy during the season! And good luck with everything. ;)

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
QUESTION 1: do you think LIMA owner operation is a program you could DIY?

I understand that it's fairly straightforward to incorporate, get an address, and set up an email account.
But the rest is a bit blurry for me, especially to whom and how should I send all the materials in the application package. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right place.
yes, i plan on applying again after getting work permit to get the 00 NOC and will do it myself this time.

The entire package needs to be faxed to service canada, it can take several attempts to get this through successfully so keep trying if you do it yourself.

QUESTION 2: Is there a web page they provided the instruction step by step?
I do not think so, i think its a really straight forward process and i had to create a little list to provide step by step intructions heres how it will work

Step 1 - Create Business plan, incorporate company and get the business in place
Step 2 - Fax package and wait for interview email/call
Step 3 - interview on phone (This is the most important part)
Step 4 - Approval or rejection

Here is my background for your convenience:

I'm the CEO and co-founder of a startup, which has been running for 4 years, having a few employees in the US. So it's not a new business; I could clearly make sense of the product, the market fit, and the economy behind it. I am thinking about opening a new office in Canada or incorporating in Canada and doing the same business essentially.

QUESTION 3: Is there any difference between the two when it comes to this application?
I am not sure if understand your question correctly. if you are asking whether there is a difference between the US and canada. I think its essential that you incorporate the company in canada and then apply for the program. Having office in canada is such a huge Plus.

QUESTION 4: I can write a BP, but do you know if the one for this purpose has any particular expectations from the officers who read it? Or is it just a standard but high-quality BP?

I do not know the right answer but i think the Business plan is just a conversation starter and gives something to the officer to look at and understand your business. The key is the interview, if you can explain your business and justify your need to be in canada, thats what they are looking for.

Again, I cannot appreciate enough your input. Please stay safe and healthy during the season! And good luck with everything. ;)
Thank you so much, currently staying in lockdown and waiting for medical request for the Mrs. Don't think anything will happen for next month or two.

wolfddy

Mar 26, 2020
yes, i plan on applying again after getting work permit to get the 00 NOC and will do it myself this time.

The entire package needs to be faxed to service canada, it can take several attempts to get this through successfully so keep trying if you do it yourself.

Thank you so much for getting back to me promptly!

This may sound dumb: where could I find the fax information? Is there an official website of the department/office to whom we should fax to? When you said it can take several attempts, I'm assuming you are referring to the technical difficulty of faxing, am I right?

I do not think so, i think its a really straight forward process and i had to create a little list to provide step by step intructions heres how it will work

Step 1 - Create Business plan, incorporate company and get the business in place
Step 2 - Fax package and wait for interview email/call
Step 3 - interview on phone (This is the most important part)
Step 4 - Approval or rejection
Cool. This is really helpful!

Would you mind telling me what should be included in the package other than (1) BP (2) Incorporation documents (3) Personal ID documents? I am wondering whether there is other miscellaneous stuff you should include that could support the argument that you know what you are doing and the business is already up and running. For example, product catalog, previous media coverage of your company if any, proof of transactions, etc.

Basically, would you mind sharing a checklist, if it isn't too time-consuming? If it is, I totally understand. Some feedback to my questions above would be really nice.

I am not sure if understand your question correctly. if you are asking whether there is a difference between the US and canada. I think its essential that you incorporate the company in canada and then apply for the program. Having office in canada is such a huge Plus.
Sorry, let me clarify. I was asking which scenario is preferred? (A) incorporating a new business in Canada and doing what your previous business is doing (B) incorporating a business in Canada that's structurally related to your previous business

Also, do you know if two foreign business owners are allowed? Once the business application is approved, can it help apply the work permit for both founders?

I do not know the right answer but i think the Business plan is just a conversation starter and gives something to the officer to look at and understand your business. The key is the interview if you can explain your business and justify your need to be in canada, thats what they are looking for.

This is a novel piece of information to me - the interview is key. Could you please kindly share some interview questions? (If you've already done so, don't bother then, I'm happy to fish them in the history of this post.)

Thank you so much, currently staying in lockdown and waiting for medical request for the Mrs. Don't think anything will happen for next month or two.
The best things often come late : ) Safety and health are No.1 priorities now. Take care.

fishinfall

Mar 6, 2020
@canadavisaQs, do you mind sharing a few key questions from the interview? if you think they are rather sensitive, a more general area that the officer was questioning is also fine.

fishinfall

Mar 6, 2020
Also, do you know if two foreign business owners are allowed? Once the business application is approved, can it help apply the work permit for both founders?
I don't think so. According to my attorney, the applicant must own at least 51% share for this program, from which my understanding the only one who is the primary owner can apply.

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Thank you so much for getting back to me promptly!

This may sound dumb: where could I find the fax information? Is there an official website of the department/office to whom we should fax to? When you said it can take several attempts, I'm assuming you are referring to the technical difficulty of faxing, am I right?
i was able to find the fax number to which my package was sent and it is 866-301-5603 There is no department or office to which this was faxed to, Fax cover sheet includes just the fax number, and from information. Keep in mind, this is for BC, i do not know if there is a different number for every province... i am guessing no because my case officer was in Alberta and some one i know applied in Toronto and their case officer was also in Alberta so it looks like a centralized service Canada thing instead of province vice but please double check.

yes, i was talking about the technical difficulty, mine was around 100 pages so it sometimes doesn't go through and if only some pages are sent, you have to start all over again. I am thinking best would be to create a PDF file and use something like eFax because that service keep trying until its successfully sent.

Would you mind telling me what should be included in the package other than (1) BP (2) Incorporation documents (3) Personal ID documents? I am wondering whether there is other miscellaneous stuff you should include that could support the argument that you know what you are doing and the business is already up and running. For example, product catalog, previous media coverage of your company if any, proof of transactions, etc.

Basically, would you mind sharing a checklist, if it isn't too time-consuming? If it is, I totally understand. Some feedback to my questions above would be really nice.
I don't think i have shared a checklist in this thread, let me see if i can find my package that was faxed over

1) Application letter by my attorney - you can use a letter by you if you are not using a attorney or consultant
2) Form EMP5626 (18 pages)
3) Transition Plan (6 pages)
4) Business Plan
5) Additonal Supporting documents
a) passport with visa and stamps (i think its important from countries where we need visa from, like india china etc, not from US)
b) Resume

I think product catalog, media coverage etc should be part of the business plan.

Sorry, let me clarify. I was asking which scenario is preferred? (A) incorporating a new business in Canada and doing what your previous business is doing (B) incorporating a business in Canada that's structurally related to your previous business

A) incorporating a new business in canada is preferred and thats based on my interview. Keep in mind, my company also have similar operations in US and the officer was really not interested in details of the US company.

I do not know if two foreign business owners are allowed or not.

This is a novel piece of information to me - the interview is key. Could you please kindly share some interview questions? (If you've already done so, don't bother then, I'm happy to fish them in the history of this post.)
I do not think i have shared any interview questions in the thread.

The interview started with how i got the idea to start the business etc
Further it was details of the business
Finally future plans and emphasis on job(s) that this business will create.
Very careful detail by officer to my role in country/company, if it can be done remotely, you won't be approved.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Nadeemcadxb

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
i don't mind sharing the firm name, but for the price i paid, i am not happy with the work they are doing. It has been extremely Slow. As you can see my original 15th Saying we are submitting application in a week and its still not submitted yet.

I think you are better off avoiding them.
Hello Sir, kindly advise approximately how much is the average amount a lawyer takes for Owner Operator program including a business plan?

pritpalpruthi

Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

I am going to create this thread to document my entire journey of applying for LMIA, getting a work permit and then eventually getting PR for Canada.

Age - 33
Nationality - Indian
Dependents - 2 (Spouse and Child)
EE Score - around 350 (Because of no academic qualifications)
IELTS - 7.5 overall

Visitor visa Denied (May 2019)
I was recently denied a Visitors visa to Canada, which i applied myself using the online portal. I have traveled to at least 20 countries with at least 20 trips in last 10 years to US. The reason for denial was standard letter "We don't feel you will return to your home country". In retro-respect, i feel the application was denied because i didn't provide enough documents (or any documents for that matter). I have visas for a lot of countries and i thought based on travel history, any documents showing financial stability or ties to my home country won't be required (lesson learned). I could easily apply again with a good supporting set of documents but my attorney that is doing the LMIA and work permit is suggesting i must wait and just focus on LMIA application.

LMIA Application and process (Started in May 2019, submitting application around Aug 20th 2019)
Started this process around end of may and last 3 months has been just going back and forth between attorney and there team to create business plan and provide support documents for Owner operated LMIA application as a owner in BC with Salary of $55 per hour (High wage category).

According to my attorney this type of application is expedited and gets a decision in 10 Business days, but lately they have been seeing applications taking as long as 4 weeks.

We should be faxing in the application from my attorney's office sometimes next week (Aug 19 to Aug 23 2019).

I have opened a bank account in Canadian Bank, and sent $150,000 to my account as proof of funds for the business, we will be attaching this to LMIA application.

Feel free to ask questions or provide any feedback you might have.
OWNER OPERATOR LMIA PROGRAM: can someone set up tutorial (providing coaching to math and science students ) as a service provider, under cultural activity in BC? If possible,someone please guide...thank you

pritpalpruthi

Apr 3, 2020
Update Update Update

After all these negative updates and getting rejected twice for TRV, today i finally got positive LMIA from service canada. This has not been easy and there has been a lot that i had to do during the last 2 months, but its hopefully all worth it.

Keep in mind, i only got approved for NOC 0125 which fetch only 50 points for Permanent residency application, even though i applied for NOC 0013
Further, the officer reduced the term to 1 year for work permit instead of applied 2 years.

all in all, i am happy and now applying for work permit. It says 5 weeks processing time, hopefully we get the work permit for family by end of march or beginning of april.

I feel like an expert on owner operator LMIA applications, since i had to do multiple calls, emails and other communications with the officer during these last 45 days.
Congratulations Sir

OWNER OPERATOR LMIA PROGRAM: can someone set up tutorial (providing coaching to math and science students ) as a service provider, under cultural activity in BC? If possible,someone please guide...thank you
In my view, this is totally viable. For example, look at a very popular service: www.tutordoctor.com

Very successful. Would be easy to show job-creation plan and unit economics would be very scalable.

My one suggestion would be to approach this with a unique and compelling perspective with regards to curriculum and service delivery.

Reactions: tobs

Yaasharma

Feb 21, 2018
Since i have been through the entire process myself, i feel i can do the same if i had to now. So feel free to PM me for any help you need sending application yourself.
Congratulation on successfully completing the process. Since CIC & ESDC does not mention which forms need to be filled according various situations for O/O. Could you guide which form needs to be submitted if someone plans to set up a new business? Is there a different form if one plans to acquire an existing business which is one year or older.