FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I didn't have an interview. CIC didn't call me, they just updated my CIC tracker status to "Scheduled for oath on March 31, 2022". They also emailed me oath invitations for myself and my two children - one of them is an adult now (but wasn't at time of the citizenship application submission) and the other is now 13 y.o. (and shouldn't be required to take oath because didn't complete age of 14). Both my kids live outside of Canada too since August 2020. Anyway after I emailed CIC that I request oath outside of Canada, they replied with a link for withdrawal of the applications In their email, they also mention that I must provide proof of a serious reason why I request an oath from abroad. I don't have a serious medical reason. I will try explaining my personal situation and will see if it will be accepted.
Did they reply?

marika89

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
I was scheduled for oath ceremony for the first time on December 23rd, 2021 (I'm January 2021 applicant). I rescheduled it and got a new invitation on March 23rd, so exactly 3 months later. Unfortunately I will need to reschedule again... my application has been going forward every 3 months; test, DM, oath... so I assume my next oath invitation would be on June and I would be able to attend to it then.
Mostly now I am wondering if rescheduling second time would be an issue (has anyone here done that??). I am abroad as well.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I was scheduled for oath ceremony for the first time on December 23rd, 2021 (I'm January 2021 applicant). I rescheduled it and got a new invitation on March 23rd, so exactly 3 months later. Unfortunately I will need to reschedule again... my application has been going forward every 3 months; test, DM, oath... so I assume my next oath invitation would be on June and I would be able to attend to it then.
Mostly now I am wondering if rescheduling second time would be an issue (has anyone here done that??). I am abroad as well.
1. They gave you citizenship test every time you rescheduled?
2. Why don't you go back for oath? Why don't you ask for taking it outside?

marika89

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
1. They gave you citizenship test every time you rescheduled?
2. Why don't you go back for oath? Why don't you ask for taking it outside?
1. Sorry I was maybe unclear, no. I have done just one test. But they rescheduled my oath, it took exactly 3 months to get new invitation. I was scared it takes months or up to year, like many here said it would take.
2. I'm not able to travel at the moment. I have small child, I will start new job next Monday and just so much going on that I can't travel for for one day to go Canada and come back.
They don't allow to take oath while abroad. Iw ont even ask because I will be able to travel back later this year.

daveyj

May 11, 2021
My family and I have now completed the oath of citizenship from outside Canada.
When I got my oath invitation, I replied saying I was working outside of Canada for at least 12 months. I listed reasons why it was not possible to return at this time (risk of catching COVID during travel, current travel restrictions, current high costs of travel and quarantine, expired PR cards due to long processing time).
CIC responded, with the same points as post #69
I replied again, with same reasons as I sent initially, and asked that they make the request to the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. I also confirmed I understand the additional delays etc.
About three weeks later they replied saying my request was accepted, and gave a rescheduled oath date.
Oath went smoothly. Officer could see the notes on my account that I was outside Canada.

Good luck!

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
When I got my oath invitation, I replied saying I was working outside of Canada for at least 12 months. I listed reasons why it was not possible to return at this time (risk of catching COVID during travel, current travel restrictions, current high costs of travel and quarantine, expired PR cards due to long processing time).
I replied again, with same reasons as I sent initially, and asked that they make the request to the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. I also confirmed I understand the additional delays etc.
About three weeks later they replied saying my request was accepted, and gave a rescheduled oath date.
Oath went smoothly. Officer could see the notes on my account that I was outside Canada.

Good luck!
What are the dates for your old oath and new oath?
Which country are you in?

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
No one can know when will be next date as past experience is not guaranteed to give you another date in 3 months - may be sooner or may be later. Its just based on your luck :).
So postpone it but try not to postpone one more time after this time as you will run risking to place the file on hold/abandoned.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014

Good luck!
Good to see that they accommodated you. Was it with a foreign services officer in a private ceremony?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Good to see that they accommodated you. Was it with a foreign services officer in a private ceremony?
It was via zoom. No change.

Svet81

Aug 15, 2014
Hello, I'm writing to update you all.
I completed the oath outside of Canada on March 31. My file status changed to closed on April 5. I'll be waiting for the Citizenship certificate to be mailed to the nearest embassy (I was informed it may take 6 months)

udub

Feb 3, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2017
Hello. I'm planning on going back to take the oath. Since it is virtual, how do I get the certificate? By mail?
Can I go to passport office next day, or do I need to wait for the certificate?

w3rlgn

Star Member
Sep 5, 2020
OATH OUTSIDE OF CANADA. ANSWER TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS:

Thank you for your enquiry about taking the oath of citizenship by video oath ceremony from outside of Canada.

Please note, you will not be able to attend your scheduled ceremony from outside Canada and will be rescheduled once a decision has been made.

These requests are being considered as exceptional cases, and in the event that your request is approved, it is important for you to know that:

o You will be asked to destroy your Permanent Resident Card during the ceremony.

o It may take up to 6 months for you to receive your certificate after the ceremony as your certificate will be sent to the Canadian Mission closest to you. (excludes clients in the USA)

o Before applying for your Canadian passport, you will need to wait to receive your citizenship certificate.

o For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian to enter Canada. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian travel document issued in urgent situations) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.

o Depending on the laws and regulations of your current country of citizenship or the country where you are presently living, there may be some complexities should you become a dual national abroad (i.e. access to Canadian consular services, travel requirements, etc.). Note that you may not have proof of Canadian citizenship for 6 months. Recommend that you confirm whether any complexities exist before considering to take the oath outside of Canada.

Should you still wish to pursue this request, please provide, in writing to the e-mail address from where the notice to appear was sent, your present circumstances and reasons for your request to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. Please include supporting documentation.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
I have some questions about this.
How did you get this reply? Where did you send your email to? I've emailed 3 times to ask if I can take oath from outside and they haven't responded to my emails. Was there anything else you did to contact them from outside?
Any advise would be appreciated so I can do the same!!

Reactions: Dreamlad

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I have some questions about this.
How did you get this reply? Where did you send your email to? I've emailed 3 times to ask if I can take oath from outside and they haven't responded to my emails. Was there anything else you did to contact them from outside?
Any advise would be appreciated so I can do the same!!
I guess they probably forwarded your request to Registar of Canadian Citizenship which is the decision maker on this.

mindHacker

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can not they mail citizenship certificate to canadian address ? That way it is faster to get it.

ssy81

Star Member
Dec 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2014
Nomination.....
28-02-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2014
Med's Request
29-02-2016 / Rcvd 26-03-2016
Med's Done....
18-03-2016
Interview........
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
26-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
Good willing
Update: I received the Canadian citizenship certificates for my children and myself in my country's Canadian consulate yesterday. We swore the oath outside Canada on March 31, so it took considerably shorter time than expected (CIC advised 6 months for delivering the certificates abroad).
Next month we'll apply for the passports, again from here. The official advised passport issuing abroad takes 26 working days