+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

Oh Canada !!!

Sep 11, 2021
Hi. I am just curious to know what can I expect for Oath of Citizenship while living outside Canada for personal reasons during this time. I did complete my Online Citizenship test couple weeks ago while away from Canada. I haven't researched a lot about taking oath of citizenship while living outside Canada though. Did some basic search and it looks like it is completely within Canadian law to take oath of citizenship while outside. Is there anyone else on the same situation? Any inputs is welcome. Please also mention if you did oath of ceremony while outside Canada or within Canada when you reply. Thanks again

Reactions: Saggitarius

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hi. I am just curious to know what can I expect for Oath of Citizenship while living outside Canada for personal reasons during this time. I did complete my Online Citizenship test couple weeks ago while away from Canada. I haven't researched a lot about taking oath of citizenship while living outside Canada though. Did some basic search and it looks like it is completely within Canadian law to take oath of citizenship while outside. Is there anyone else on the same situation? Any inputs is welcome. Please also mention if you did oath of ceremony while outside Canada or within Canada when you reply. Thanks again
You can’t take Oath while outside Canada.

What law are you referring to? Can you quote?

Reactions: Toronto1971

Oh Canada !!!

Sep 11, 2021
You can’t take Oath while outside Canada.

What law are you referring to? Can you quote?
Good question!!! I cant remember where I read but I saw something like in the presence of foreign service officer (instead of citizenship judge), one can take the oath of citizenship while outside Canada.

I wasn't expecting that Ill be allowed to take citizenship test while outside Canada. When the IRCC approved me to take the test outside Canada, I became little curious will they allow me to take oath of citizenship too.

Can you quote what law says that someone can only become Canadian citizen when they are within Canada?

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Good question!!! I cant remember where I read but I saw something like in the presence of foreign service officer (instead of citizenship judge), one can take the oath of citizenship while outside Canada.

I wasn't expecting that Ill be allowed to take citizenship test while outside Canada. When the IRCC approved me to take the test outside Canada, I became little curious will they allow me to take oath of citizenship too.

Can you quote what law says that someone can only become Canadian citizen when they are within Canada?
IRCC is not allowing applicants to take Oath while outside Canada. This information is on their website.

Reactions: funloving

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
You can not take the Oath outside of Canada. IRCC allowed only online test to be taken outside Canada.

Oh Canada !!!

Sep 11, 2021
Great! In that case, Can I delay Oath of Citizenship ceremony by many months? and I am not sure when they will approve my citizenship application though. I am not in a hurry to become a citizen anyway and I am totally okay to reapply for citizenship at a later date.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Great! In that case, Can I delay Oath of Citizenship ceremony by many months? and I am not sure when they will approve my citizenship application though. I am not in a hurry to become a citizen anyway and I am totally okay to reapply for citizenship at a later date.
It will probably take 3-4 months before the next step. It could be an interview, and you will have to be in Canada for that as well.

Reactions: pvarma

sk6492

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2017
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
I am in the same boat as you.
I got DM on Sept 3, with oath not started yet. It may take 2-4 months, looking at other's timeline.

From what I have seen in this forum.
- You can get notified at anytime for the oath, so you may have 2weeks to even 1 day to plan for your trip.

- You can reschedule it if you provide "explain your situation in detail" as per this. As I have not seen anyone getting oath from outside, I assume them saying "We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email." means they will only reschedule once you prove by sending them flight tickets & passport stamps that you are back in Canada.

- Also as per this detailed post, its not in the power of IRCC to allow oath from outside Canada.

- As per this thread, they said they generally do not hold a file longer than 6 months.

- I am not sure, how much time they may take for 2nd oath invite, given the backlog, once we are back. Could be 2 weeks or several months.

So its a very unclear situation.

Reactions: Canadian newcomer

RamanS100

Apr 12, 2021
Hi guys, i did my online citizenship test 2 days ago from outside of Canada. i got an email today saying in order to move the file further, they want to know when will i be returning to canada so that they can arrange a phone call. i had previously provided them original return date which was in may but since flights were banned from india i ended my staying here until now and now i am not planning to return until dec as my mother is unwell and had a surgery and i need to stay to take care of her until dec atleast.
i am worried if they will had me reapply after this long wait or what will happen next? m curious on why they want to reach out to me over call to discuss my file further. any advise would help.
Thanks,

mermaid

Oct 21, 2014
Please help. My son is Permanent redient in Canada but currently living in the U.S. Can he apply for canadian citizenship? He is an American Citizen and visiting Canada right now. He was not to visit for a year due to the pandemic. Any reply is appreciated.

Canadian newcomer

Star Member
Feb 5, 2021
Please help. My son is Permanent redient in Canada but currently living in the U.S. Can he apply for canadian citizenship? He is an American Citizen and visiting Canada right now. He was not to visit for a year due to the pandemic. Any reply is appreciated.

There is a lot to unpack and consider here. A permanent resident can apply for citizenship, however there are conditions that need to be met.
How many days has he spent in Canada prior to his absence ( within 5 years)? 1095 days at least?
Taxes, has he filed Canadian taxes during those years?

I'm sure i'm lacking details and others will chime in, but that is the general premise....

mermaid

Oct 21, 2014
There is a lot to unpack and consider here. A permanent resident can apply for citizenship, however there are conditions that need to be met.
How many days has he spent in Canada prior to his absence ( within 5 years)? 1095 days at least?
Taxes, has he filed Canadian taxes during those years?

I'm sure i'm lacking details and others will chime in, but that is the general premise....
Thank you for your reply. He spent more than 1095 days and taxes filed until 2020. He's been living in Canada since 2014. Only moved to the U.S. in August 2020.

Reactions: Svet81

Canadian newcomer

Star Member
Feb 5, 2021
Thank you for your reply. He spent more than 1095 days and taxes filed until 2020. He's been living in Canada since 2014. Only moved to the U.S. in August 2020.

So if he can tick these boxes:

There shouldn't be an issue. Here's the link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

He should probably start by filling out the physical presence calculator.

Hope this helps :)

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I just completed my test from outside of Canada. My query is in case I receive an oath invitation before I return to Canada, would it be possible to reschedule the oath ceremony? If yes, would there be a long wait before I get a second date in hand? Also, I've heard that IRCC doesn't keep the file for longer than 6 months. What does it mean? Is it 6 months from the oath invite? Please help and clarify my queries.

Reactions: Toronto1971

mermaid

Oct 21, 2014
Thank you for your help. Will there be a problem if he's been living and working in the U.S. since Aug. 2020?