+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

Svet81

Aug 15, 2014
1. Did you have interview?
2. If yes, did they send you an email beforehand? Or they just called you directly without sending you an email?
I didn't have an interview. CIC didn't call me, they just updated my CIC tracker status to "Scheduled for oath on March 31, 2022". They also emailed me oath invitations for myself and my two children - one of them is an adult now (but wasn't at time of the citizenship application submission) and the other is now 13 y.o. (and shouldn't be required to take oath because didn't complete age of 14). Both my kids live outside of Canada too since August 2020. Anyway after I emailed CIC that I request oath outside of Canada, they replied with a link for withdrawal of the applications In their email, they also mention that I must provide proof of a serious reason why I request an oath from abroad. I don't have a serious medical reason. I will try explaining my personal situation and will see if it will be accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreamlad

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I didn't have an interview. CIC didn't call me, they just updated my CIC tracker status to "Scheduled for oath on March 31, 2022". They also emailed me oath invitations for myself and my two children - one of them is an adult now (but wasn't at time of the citizenship application submission) and the other is now 13 y.o. (and shouldn't be required to take oath because didn't complete age of 14). Both my kids live outside of Canada too since August 2020. Anyway after I emailed CIC that I request oath outside of Canada, they replied with a link for withdrawal of the applications In their email, they also mention that I must provide proof of a serious reason why I request an oath from abroad. I don't have a serious medical reason. I will try explaining my personal situation and will see if it will be accepted.
I hope you get approved. I've been outside for almost a year and they still haven't finished goddamn processing my application.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svet81

emadeen

Aug 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have got my Oath date which is March 28, 2022
Now I am outside Canada and plan to travel to take the Oath and have to come back home in one week,
SO,
what do I have to do ?
and how many days to have my certificate and apply for a Canadian passport?
is it possible for my roommate to mail me the certificate and apply for the passport abroad?
thank you guys in advance for your help.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hello everyone,

Now I am outside Canada and plan to travel to take the Oath and have to come back home in one week,
SO,
what do I have to do ?
is it possible for my roommate to mail me the certificate and apply for the passport abroad?
Someone from Georgia did oath outside. You can try asking them.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello everyone,

SO,
what do I have to do ?
Someone recently posted about leaving Canada immediately after oath. Had the certificate couriered to them and applied for passport abroad.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/traveling-outside-canada-after-the-oath-ceremony.751633/

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Be careful with this. If you asked for oath outside Canada, you might automatically be rescheduled. I wouldn't ask them to do the oath outside unless I am 100% sure I would have rescheduled anyway.
I don't mind rescheduling, haha.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I don't mind rescheduling, haha.
Yes, but the other applicant to whom you gave your comment is clearly willing to come back to Canada. So if they asked for taking the oath outside, they are risking for rescheduling, and probably they would be stuck at oath stage until they proof they came back to Canada

Reactions: Dreamlad

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Yes, but the other applicant to whom you gave your comment is clearly willing to come back to Canada. So if they asked for taking the oath outside, they are risking for rescheduling, and probably they would be stuck at oath stage until they proof they came back to Canada
Rescheduling takes up to 6 months?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Be careful with this. If you asked for oath outside Canada, you might automatically be rescheduled. I wouldn't ask them to do the oath outside unless I am 100% sure I would have rescheduled anyway.
Looks like there has been a change of heart at IRCC regarding Oath, outside Canada.

Someone I know just received the invitation and it says "by participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you will be taking the oath of citizenship in Canada. If you are not currently in Canada, contact us as soon as possible in order for us to reschedule the ceremony". They may have made exceptions earlier, but the process in all probablitliy been discontinued.

@Dreamlad @RoseDB

Reactions: RoseDB

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Looks like there has been a change of heart at IRCC regarding Oath, outside Canada.

Someone I know just received the invitation and it says "by participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you will be taking the oath of citizenship in Canada. If you are not currently in Canada, contact us as soon as possible in order for us to reschedule the ceremony". They may have made exceptions earlier, but the process in all probablitliy been discontinued.

@Dreamlad @RoseDB
I think it depends on the office.

Reactions: Svet81 and RoseDB