+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling outside Canada after the Oath Ceremony

adiarya

Dec 5, 2021
Hi
I currently live outside Canada. I moved out temporarily for a job for 2 years. I finished my citizenship test and left the country. I got my oath ceremony scheduled for Dec. 15th., 2021. Here is my question:
I found out that we have to cut our PR card during the oath ceremony. I can travel to Canada for my Oath ceremony. But I have to fly out of Canada right after my Oath ceremony. In my case, the PR card will no be longer valid (So I cannot reenter Canada!). I can give my friends address for the officials to mail the certificate of citizenship and he can mail it to my international address. Can I then use this citizenship certificate to apply for my passport from outside Canada (at the local Canadian embassy)? Is this possible or will there be a problem? Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi
I currently live outside Canada. I moved out temporarily for a job for 2 years. I finished my citizenship test and left the country. I got my oath ceremony scheduled for Dec. 15th., 2021. Here is my question:
I found out that we have to cut our PR card during the oath ceremony. I can travel to Canada for my Oath ceremony. But I have to fly out of Canada right after my Oath ceremony. In my case, the PR card will no be longer valid (So I cannot reenter Canada!). I can give my friends address for the officials to mail the certificate of citizenship and he can mail it to my international address. Can I then use this citizenship certificate to apply for my passport from outside Canada (at the local Canadian embassy)? Is this possible or will there be a problem? Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, you can get your passport made outside Canada.

See the link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Adiarya, can you please share your experience and what happened with you . Were you able to apply ?

adiarya

Dec 5, 2021
Adiarya, can you please share your experience and what happened with you . Were you able to apply ?
I travelled to Canada for my Oath ceremony on Dec 15th, 2021. I gave a Canadian address for them to mail my citizenship certificate (they do not mail citizenship certificate to outside Canada except USA.). I had to cut my PR during the Oath ceremony ( I was not planning to travel back to Canada any time soon). They mailed my certificate in 1 week and my friend mailed it to me overseas using FEDEX. After I got my certificate I made an appointment at the Canadian embassy in Austria and applied for my passport. I had to fill in the "Statuary declaration in lieu of guarantor" form (pptc 132 form) as I could not give an outside Canada guarantor for my application. I got my passport in 1 week after applying. I am so happy that everything worked out for me. All the best for your application.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I travelled to Canada for my Oath ceremony on Dec 15th, 2021. I gave a Canadian address for them to mail my citizenship certificate (they do not mail citizenship certificate to outside Canada except USA.). I had to cut my PR during the Oath ceremony ( I was not planning to travel back to Canada any time soon). They mailed my certificate in 1 week and my friend mailed it to me overseas using FEDEX. After I got my certificate I made an appointment at the Canadian embassy in Austria and applied for my passport. I had to fill in the "Statuary declaration in lieu of guarantor" form (pptc 132 form) as I could not give an outside Canada guarantor for my application. I got my passport in 1 week after applying. I am so happy that everything worked out for me. All the best for your application.
1 week? Even applying from inside Canada takes 5 weeks. Strange! But congrats.

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Hey, what address and id documents did you use to apply for passport? I may have to do something like this. Do they really send certificates to USA?

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Thwnks for sharing this information.

adiarya

Dec 5, 2021
Hey, what address and id documents did you use to apply for passport? I may have to do something like this. Do they really send certificates to USA?
I used my international address (they actually send it to the Canadian embassy in your country and you have to pick it up in person) and my Canadian driving lic+ passport from my other nationality to apply for passport outside Canada. I talked to two Canadian immigration lawyers (both confirmed that they can send the certificate to USA) and also it is mentioned on their website that they can send it to a US address. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mexontario

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thank you very much for sharing Adiarya and a big congratulation!

- May I ask which address did you use to mail the certificate of citizenship ? was it a friend address or you still have an address in canada? does that Address must match the address shown on the ID you use during the ceromony?

- Also may I kindly ask if you told them during the oath that you are travelling ? as getting the certificate in 1 weeks is exceptional?

Note : Enjoy the Viennese Apfelstrudel in Austria

Thanks again

adiarya

Dec 5, 2021
Thank you very much for sharing Adiarya and a big congratulation!

- May I ask which address did you use to mail the certificate of citizenship ? was it a friend address or you still have an address in canada? does that Address must match the address shown on the ID you use during the ceromony?

- Also may I kindly ask if you told them during the oath that you are travelling ? as getting the certificate in 1 weeks is exceptional?

Note : Enjoy the Viennese Apfelstrudel in Austria

Thanks again
I used my friends address in Canada for the mailing address of the certificate. At the start of the oath ceremony each person in the ceremony is interviewed where the IRCC official asks if you are in Canada and confirm the mailing address for mailing the certificate. Here I mentioned I was traveling outside Canada right after my ceremony. Since I was not planning to travel back to Canada anytime soon they said it should not be a problem. If you plan to return to Canada after your oath ceremony and before you get your passport then you have to email the IRCC immediately and follow their instruction (i do not know what is the procedure). At the end of the ceremony you have to sign a form and include your mailing address (Canadian or US only) for them to mail the certificate. This address does not have to match the id but only requirement is that it should be a Canadian or US address.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I used my friends address in Canada for the mailing address of the certificate. At the start of the oath ceremony each person in the ceremony is interviewed where the IRCC official asks if you are in Canada and confirm the mailing address for mailing the certificate. Here I mentioned I was traveling outside Canada right after my ceremony. Since I was not planning to travel back to Canada anytime soon they said it should not be a problem. If you plan to return to Canada after your oath ceremony and before you get your passport then you have to email the IRCC immediately and follow their instruction (i do not know what is the procedure). At the end of the ceremony you have to sign a form and include your mailing address (Canadian or US only) for them to mail the certificate. This address does not have to match the id but only requirement is that it should be a Canadian or US address.
Can I ask Adiarya, on the form itself what did you put down ad your current address? Perhaps a silly question but did you out your Canadian address and then your Austrian address as mailing one? Or Austrian one regardless?
Also you mentioned you used foreign passport and also had to send in a Canadian ID also? Copies albeit.
Final question address related again, but did you update them that you were away ie before oath or not? If not there is a section about address in last two years….what did you put down there?

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thanks Adiarya , all the best

adiarya

Dec 5, 2021
Can I ask Adiarya, on the form itself what did you put down ad your current address? Perhaps a silly question but did you out your Canadian address and then your Austrian address as mailing one? Or Austrian one regardless?
Also you mentioned you used foreign passport and also had to send in a Canadian ID also? Copies albeit.
Final question address related again, but did you update them that you were away ie before oath or not? If not there is a section about address in last two years….what did you put down there?
Not sure which form you are talking about here...I was talking about the oath ceremony signing form which does not have any address field. I only used Canadian address for the certificate.

I applied for my passport in person. So the consulate officer took copies of my other passport and driving lic. and gave the originals back to me. I did not update them before the oath but I flew in to take my oath in Canada (safer option). I put down my international address in the last two years along with my past Canadian address. Hope this helps.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure which form you are talking about here...I was talking about the oath ceremony signing form which does not have any address field. I only used Canadian address for the certificate.

I applied for my passport in person. So the consulate officer took copies of my other passport and driving lic. and gave the originals back to me. I did not update them before the oath but I flew in to take my oath in Canada (safer option). I put down my international address in the last two years along with my past Canadian address. Hope this helps.
Hi I was asking about the completion of the passport form which I guess if you applied in person was slightly different.
I also due to work commitments here in the UK flew in for my oath and will be returning but not yet. So in terms of your address being international in last two years they didn’t say anything?
I have my Canadian health card and UK passport but no Canadian D.Lic and wife’s health card she has but it’s expired which we will renew when back.

footyluv

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Hey!
Just wondering which passport did you use to fly out of Canada immediately after the oath ceremony.
Are you from a country which allows dual citizenship?

I am in a similar situation , but perhaps more complicated as India does not allow dual citizenship (I am from India).