+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland - Can my UK partner visit me during app processing?

msmm

Feb 11, 2019
Calgary
Hey there, you may have seen my previous thread, but if not here's the situation. Me and my boyfriend of 6 years are going to be getting married sometime in 2020 most likely and then will be applying through the Outland route.

I'm wondering if we apply Outland and he is living in the UK (he is a British Citizen) during that time, will he be able to visit me at all while the application is being processed? Will I be able to visit him?

I ask because with a processing time of 12 months give or take, we would like to be able to see each other during that waiting period. So far we are leaning towards an Outland application due to faster processing time generally speaking, and he would like to continue with his job over there for as long as he can.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Hey there, you may have seen my previous thread, but if not here's the situation. Me and my boyfriend of 6 years are going to be getting married sometime in 2020 most likely and then will be applying through the Outland route.

I'm wondering if we apply Outland and he is living in the UK (he is a British Citizen) during that time, will he be able to visit me at all while the application is being processed? Will I be able to visit him?

I ask because with a processing time of 12 months give or take, we would like to be able to see each other during that waiting period. So far we are leaning towards an Outland application due to faster processing time generally speaking, and he would like to continue with his job over there for as long as he can.
Since he is a british citizen he is visa exempt and can visit you. If you are a Canadian citizen, you should have no problems in visiting him for a short duration, if u want to stay for a longer duration you may have to provide proof of your intent to return to Canada once your spouse gets his PR. If you are a Permanent Resident you arent allowed to leave the country for a long duration.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I'm wondering if we apply Outland and he is living in the UK (he is a British Citizen) during that time, will he be able to visit me at all while the application is being processed?
Yes. He is visa-exempt, so all he needs is an ETA. As he is truly visiting (i.e. he will still be working in the UK as you say), he will have a return ticket for a couple of weeks I assume and can demonstrate strong ties back to the UK - should be no problem convincing the CBSA agent at the airport that he is truly visiting.

Will I be able to visit him?
Yes. Same as above, but in reverse (i.e. you would be going to the UK etc.).

Inland and Outland processing times are around the same now. Having said that, UK citizen processing times are more like 10 months, not the bland 12 months 'global average' normally quoted (see actual timeline in the spreadsheet link in my signature line below).

msmm

Feb 11, 2019
Calgary
Since he is a british citizen he is visa exempt and can visit you. If you are a Canadian citizen, you should have no problems in visiting him for a short duration, if u want to stay for a longer duration you may have to provide proof of your intent to return to Canada once your spouse gets his PR. If you are a Permanent Resident you arent allowed to leave the country for a long duration.
Thank you! Yes I am a Canadian citizen, forgot to mention that. We would likely not be visiting each other for more than 3-4 weeks at any given time due to both working full-time jobs, so that shouldnt be an issue.

msmm

Feb 11, 2019
Calgary
Yes. He is visa-exempt, so all he needs is an ETA. As he is truly visiting (i.e. he will still be working in the UK as you say), he will have a return ticket for a couple of weeks I assume and can demonstrate strong ties back to the UK - should be no problem convincing the CBSA agent at the airport that he is truly visiting.

Yes. Same as above, but in reverse (i.e. you would be going to the UK etc.).

Inland and Outland processing times are around the same now. Having said that, UK citizen processing times are more like 10 months, not the bland 12 months 'global average' normally quoted (see actual timeline in the spreadsheet link in my signature line below).
Ahh I see. I think we would still prefer Outland just in case we would need to appeal (though I feel we have quite a straightforward case that will be made even more straightforward with wedding photos etc).

And thank you so much for the spreadsheet by the way, has really put a lot of the process into perspective and made the steps and times a lot more clear.

krystianjess

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018

Hi there, just with experience, I am Canadian Sponsor and my husband is Polish PA but living in the UK. He has come to Canada and visited 3 times within the process of our PR application with no issues whatsoever. :) They don't mention anything about it at Border Control in Canada either. You shouldn't have any issues.