+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opportunity for Doctors

Ragnarz

Feb 4, 2019
I have an IT Job and I can get an IT job easily. I have worked for Canadian client as well in the past, but the problem is my wife. She is a working in a reputed Govt Organization and has MBBS/ PG from top schools.

But she is almost 40 now and is not willing to relocate, unless she is sure that she can have a career in Canada.

Why do I keep seeing things like Doctors are driving cabs and such? How hard is the licensing exam and how long does it take for doctors to qualify in Canada?

She had earlier cleared all her USMLE exams but due to uncertain of my US visa then, and no knowing if we would be in the state, we came back to India and she did her PG after losing a few years, so I need to very sure of what the path is in Canada and she is not willing to research on her own.

Are there an doctors who can share how their journey have been etc?

Please don't tell me why India is better. I am just looking for options.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She likely won't be able to get licensed in Canada. There are a few spots a year for family doctors who want to work in underserviced areas but you have to complete more training or another residency. They would likely want a younger candidate. If she wants to practice medicine I wouldn't move to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have an IT Job and I can get an IT job easily. I have worked for Canadian client as well in the past, but the problem is my wife. She is a working in a reputed Govt Organization and has MBBS/ PG from top schools.

But she is almost 40 now and is not willing to relocate, unless she is sure that she can have a career in Canada.

Why do I keep seeing things like Doctors are driving cabs and such? How hard is the licensing exam and how long does it take for doctors to qualify in Canada?

She had earlier cleared all her USMLE exams but due to uncertain of my US visa then, and no knowing if we would be in the state, we came back to India and she did her PG after losing a few years, so I need to very sure of what the path is in Canada and she is not willing to research on her own.

Are there an doctors who can share how their journey have been etc?

Please don't tell me why India is better. I am just looking for options.
The short answer is that there is no way to be sure she will have a career in Canada as a doctor.

It will take her several years to qualify if she is successful. However as said above, there's a great deal of competition for residency spots and absolutely no guarantee of success.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have NEVER seen a housewife relax..
You don't bring your wife or mom for leisure / relaxation in a resort / cruise? Or hire maids or housekeeping services to do most of the household chores for them? You don't bring them to ski?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
You don't bring your wife or mom for leisure / relaxation in a resort / cruise? Or hire maids or housekeeping services to do most of the household chores for them? You don't bring them to ski?
hahahaha.. vacation yes, but not the other stuff. Hire a maid? You must be kidding.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Btw, can't you work in Canada while your wife continues working in India? When she's in Canada, you and she can go to relaxation, enjoying life and time together.

If this is the case, don't buy your home in some areas of BC. Otherwise, you may be considered a satellite family and get taxed for % of your home value.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Btw, can't you work in Canada while your wife continues working in India? When she's in Canada, you and she can go to relaxation, enjoying life and time together.

If this is the case, don't buy your home in some areas of BC. Otherwise, you may be considered a satellite family and get taxed for % of your home value.
Don't think most families are trying to live apart for 25 years. Staying in India may actually provide better opportunities for both you and your wife and your lifestyles will probably much better. Unfortunately many foreign trained physicians don't realize how difficult practicing in Canada will be and some consultants reassure people that it will be easy. It is even difficult for Canadian citizens who have studied abroad. They end up dong a residency in the US and then try to find a job in Canada. Some are able some aren't.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't think most families are trying to live apart for 25 years. Staying in India may actually provide better opportunities for both you and your wife and your lifestyles will probably much better. Unfortunately many foreign trained physicians don't realize how difficult practicing in Canada will be and some consultants reassure people that it will be easy. It is even difficult for Canadian citizens who have studied abroad. They end up dong a residency in the US and then try to find a job in Canada. Some are able some aren't.
Why 25 years? At 65, the wife will be more willing to move to Canada? Or OP will be more willing to move back to India?

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Why 25 years? At 65, the wife will be more willing to move to Canada? Or OP will be more willing to move back to India?
Well even for immigrant dentists (who think they r doctors saving lives.... lolz) its difficult to find a job here.

so I guess OP will move back after 1 yr and not 25.