+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permits not being approved even when meeting eligibility criteria

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Same here, my husband was definitely IN status when we applied and we never got any email about the status. In fact, we can't even link his application yet!!! I've submitted numerous webforms asking about the status and I keep getting ignored. It came to me and another member of the this forum in the same situation that perhaps they didn't have all the correct information because when you send your OWP/PR app, immediately the OWP forms get separated and sent to a different office....so maybe they never got the additional supporting documents or my cover letter, etc. So this week me and another forum member decided via web form to re-upload the OWP forms, scanned copies of our boarding passes showing proof of entry into Canada, passport, marriage cert, proof we are co-habitating at same address. We also included a letter stating that we would like our OWP application to be reviewed again and requesting a detailed status update. We highlighted in this letter how exactly we met ALL of the criteria. I will update you all if we get a response.
Yes I have done the same. Submitted details showing proof of arrival. I will also let you know as soon as I hear anything..

Reactions: CanUK333

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that, after filling a form requesting what criteria I did not meet for getting my OWP now, as I was in status when I applied (and I attached to my application a copy of my visa and the stamp showing my entry to Canada) I got the following email from IRCC today:

Good day ____________my full name here____________,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided regarding the status of your open work permit and have forwarded it to the responsible office.

They will contact you if further information is required or if a decision is made on your application.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Simone, agent 4720
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
I can confirm that this is more or less the email I received back from IRCC when I asked via Web form WHY I was ineligible for a spousal OWP.

It seems like a positive email (at least it's not another rejection with no reasonable explanation), but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

My husband (sponsor) also thinks I'm slightly crazy for pushing for an OWP when a pandemic is happening and a lot of people are out of work anyway. Maybe I am but now it's also a matter of principle. :p

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hello all, I'm Dec 9th applicant in that situation. So far I completed a web form requesting what specific criterio I didn't meet (As I checked the list they provided and I meet with every criteria showed there. I'm still expecting a response.
The user @PrincessButtercup is in the same situation. In that user's case they responded they sent the request to the visa officer reviewing the case.
So basically we are just waiting now.
Thanks for starting this thread, @abeagomez!

What also confuses me is that they put my OWP application on hold until AIP, but there was no formal notification given. I only found out because I had inquired about my OWP status via Web form. I gave IRRC benefit of the doubt by giving them 5 months before inquiring, and then they gave me that response.

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that, after filling a form requesting what criteria I did not meet for getting my OWP now, as I was in status when I applied (and I attached to my application a copy of my visa and the stamp showing my entry to Canada) I got the following email from IRCC today:

Good day ____________my full name here____________,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided regarding the status of your open work permit and have forwarded it to the responsible office.

They will contact you if further information is required or if a decision is made on your application.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Simone, agent 4720
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
On my end, I sat down last night and wrote a long e-mail to my MP, asking her to look into my boyfriend's OWP application (i.e. why it was refused without them addressing our restoration of status application at all), as well as the reason they haven`t updated his file since January, when his medicals were submitted by the physician. I'm worried that they're skipping over his file for AIP because it's still showing ''Medicals not received''.

The MP's assistant replied within 2 hours and said they were on it, and would update us as soon as they had an update.
ok interesting! Keen to see what they say

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for starting this thread, @abeagomez!

What also confuses me is that they put my OWP application on hold until AIP, but there was no formal notification given. I only found out because I had inquired about my OWP status via Web form. I gave IRRC benefit of the doubt by giving them 5 months before inquiring, and then they gave me that response.
yes same with me...

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
My husband (sponsor) also thinks I'm slightly crazy for pushing for an OWP when a pandemic is happening and a lot of people are out of work anyway. Maybe I am but now it's also a matter of principle. :p
I don't blame you... The OWP cost 155$ and restoration is an additional 100$... It's ridiculous to pay those amounts and not even hear back!

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I don't blame you... The OWP cost 155$ and restoration is an additional 100$... It's ridiculous to pay those amounts and not even hear back!
The cost for the OWP is both the $155 work permit fee and the $100 open work permit holder fee. Restoration is another $200 on top of that, so $455 altogether to apply for Restoration as a worker.

Reactions: YVR123

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Well... Final update... I just logged on to my boyfriend's IRCC account, and...

A final decision has been made. Please see the final decision below.

Latest update:
Final decision - April 17, 2020:Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details.
His OWP had changed to approved! On the same date I e-mailed my MP. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but we're both incredibly relieved and grateful!

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
The cost for the OWP is both the $155 work permit fee and the $100 open work permit holder fee. Restoration is another $200 on top of that, so $455 altogether to apply for Restoration as a worker.
As a VIP member on here, do you have any answers for us or experience with this OWP issue? (with OWPs not been approved within the 5 month window, IRCC being silent, and then saying we don't meet criteria when we do). Any advice on what to do? Is there a way to appeal?

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM

His OWP had changed to approved! On the same date I e-mailed my MP. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but we're both incredibly relieved and grateful!
Congratulations! This gives the rest of us hope that the OWP rejection decision can be turned around!

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Congratulations! :):):)

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Hello! I am an August 2019 applicant, and I have a very similar situation to your partner. Had a returned application, was out of status and still within 90 days to restore. I called and agents suggested that I apply for restoration and haven't heard anything about the OWP since.
How did you apply for restoration of status? What did you put when it asks you your current status?

abeagomez

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
How did you apply for restoration of status? What did you put when it asks you your current status?
I was about to ask the same thing! I sent a form to CIC asking about my status and the responded something super confused and now I'm not even sure if the OWP application gives you implied status anymore. I want to apply for restoration of status be I can't find the guide.

NOTE: My problem with the OWP is still the same, I was in valid visitor status at the moment I applied, my visitor status actually expired a few days ago...