+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit - Applying In-land and currently on Post Graduate Work Permit

riko12

May 6, 2013
Hello there.

So as we were preparing for my common-law permanent residency application (INLAND), I realized that I can also add in the application for the Open Work Permit along with my Permanent Residency application.

I am currently on my Post Graduate Work Permit that will expire 2014 Feb (next year). With the processing time for the in-land PR application in mind, I figured it would be safer to add in the Open Work Permit application together with the PR application so that my status will stay as implied until my result comes.

My question is, is the "The Application to Change Conditions or Extend Stay in Canada as a Worker" (includes forms such as IMM5710, IMM5556, IMM5409) the correct Open Work Permit application that I have to add in, along with the PR application? I tried linking the URL but the forum wouldnt allow me to. Sorry Im a newbie here.

If it is, I checked the document checklist and the list of documents I have to prepare are similar to the document checklist for PR application. Do I have to add two separate copies for each applications or is the whole purpose of sending the OWP application together with the PR application is to eliminate another extra copies of documents? (I am assuming the latter.)

In addition, in one of the check list for the OWP, it says "Job offer letter or contract from the employer giving job title, wages and working conditions". If I am working for a company (no job offer or anything) I just ask them for the contract letter (job title, etc on it)? Because later on in the application (IMM5710) it asks information on intended employer and I obviously don't have any intended employer - just working for the current on and thats it. Do I add just add the current employer's info?

Lastly, which of the box would I be ticking for "question 3 - I am applying for one or more of the following:" on the application if I am currently on a PGWP and working for a company at the moment but probably be looking for a new job? Would "A work permit with a new employer" be the correct one?

So many questions, I know I'm sorry if it is confusing :-( But I am this close to finishing up my in-land PR application! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are looking at the right form. At the top, there is really no good option because it is an open permit. You can check same employer or new employer, doesn't matter. On page 3, you have the option to pick open permit and you should also write on the form "open work permit requested upon first stage approval". You do not have to send a job offer because it's an open permit.

riko12

May 6, 2013
Thanks so much for a quick response Leon!

I totally didn't know about stating "open work permit requested upon first stage approval" thing. Thanks for letting me know!

Just to clarify the issue regarding sending two separate documents for PR and OWP documents - I don't have to do it? Like for example, I need photocopies of my passport for both the application, I just do one copy of the passport for both PR and OWP application since it's going to be sent in one envelope?

Again any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's right, it will be sent in the same package to the same place.