+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario FSW Pilot

hooverback

Aug 31, 2004
Bangalore, India
Dealing with Passport Request while you're residing in Canada on OWP

This message is intended for people who came to Canada on an open work permit (OWP) issued under the Federal Skilled Worker Backlog program. It is not intended for people who arrived in Canada in a different program. I'm providing this information so that you all can benefit from my experience of getting my passport stamped as an inland applicant.

1. When you came to Canada on an OWP, your PR application wasn't reviewed. If your ECAS status shows "Application Received", it means that the visa officer has not started reviewing your application for permanent residency. Until your ECAS status shows "In Process", it means that the application is still under consideration. Therefore, check your ECAS status regularly to know any status change.

2. An ECAS status of "In Process" means that the visa officer has established that they have all the information required to process your application. When you find this status in ECAS, send an email to your visa office. In your email, mention that you anticipate a big problem if you receive a request to send your passport to your home country (India or Pakistan) since the government regulations prohibit its citizens to send passports outside the country of residence. In the same email, request the visa office to transfer your application to CPP-Ottawa for stamping your passport with the immigrant visa.

3. You will receive a passport request a few days after your ECAS status changes to "Decision Made". If your visa office does not consider your request for stamping your passport as an inland applicant (my visa office did not), it will ask you to submit your passport to your visa office. At this time, send another email requesting the visa office to transfer the finalization of your application to CPP-Ottawa. In this email, include evidence of how you came to Canada (under OWP issued to speed up your absorption in the Canadian labor market while your PR application was being processed) and also include any pay stubs of your current employment.

4. After #3, Wait 7 business days to receive a reply from your visa office. If you don't receive a reply, meet your local MP with the evidence of the communication that you initiated prior to receiving the passport request and subsequent to receiving the passport request. Request the local MP to contact your visa office on your behalf. The visa office will reply to a communication from an MP's office in 2-3 business days. Wait 3 business days to receive a reply. If you don't receive a reply after 3 business days, meet with the local MP again and communicate the urgency of your request.

5. Hopefully your visa office will request CPP-Ottawa to stamp your passport with the immigrant visa. In this case, you will receive a passport request from CPP-Ottawa. When you receive this request, send your passports and 2 latest photographs of each person, printout of the communication from CPP-Ottawa and a self addressed return envelope in a Canadapost XPress Post package. Your return envelope should also be a Canadapost XPress Post envelope.

6. You will receive your stamped passport from CPP-Ottawa within 2-weeks. When you receive your stamped passport, visit the nearest Canada Border Post and complete your landing. You can complete your landing at a local CIC office also, but there is a 4-week waiting period for it. You should complete your landing as soon as possible because your health card eligibility will start 3 months after you complete landing as a permanent resident.

7. Take your Work Permit, your Passport and your COPR forms with you when you're going to the Border Post. At the Border Post, the immigration officer will cancel your work permit and your immigrant visa after confirming your permanent residency. The officer will then ask you to provide your address of residence. Provide the address where you want to receive your PR card. If you change your address before receiving the PR card, you can always initiate an address change request to CIC.

8. Once you've completed your landing, visit the Service Canada office in your region and request for a new SIN. Your new SIN will be mapped with your previous SIN so that your credit history does not have to start afresh.

Hope this information helps!

- Hooverback

atifamr

Star Member
Oct 13, 2010
Thanks Hooverback this is a great relief & information you have shared as I was planning to land on OWP at mid December & was worried abt the same issue.

Just a small query do we need to initiate mail once the ECAS status changes to "In Process" as mine is currently "Application received"

Please do acknowledge

hooverback

Aug 31, 2004
Bangalore, India
Please read #2 in my message. I'm suggesting that you should initiate a communication with your visa office when you see "In Process" in your ECAS status. But tell the visa office that you anticipate a big problem if you're requested to submit passport to the visa office of your home country. Therefore, request the visa office to transfer the file to CPP-Ottawa when your application has been approved and the only step required is visa stamping.

I don't know what is your home country. If you're in a good job in your home country and your home country is politically and economically stable, my suggestion will be to enter Canada only as a permanent resident. You will have to struggle much less as a permanent resident. Your health benefits will start 3 months after you complete landing. You will be able to benefit from internship programs for newcomers (in internship programs, the government of Canada bears part of the wage which an employer will pay you). Your chances of employment will also brighten when you provide the SIN for permanent residents. Permanent residents get a 5 series SIN. Work permit holders get a 9 series SIN. The SIN is a deal breaker in many situations!

- Hooverback

atifamr said:
Thanks Hooverback this is a great relief & information you have shared as I was planning to land on OWP at mid December & was worried abt the same issue.

Just a small query do we need to initiate mail once the ECAS status changes to "In Process" as mine is currently "Application received"

Please do acknowledge

atifamr

Star Member
Oct 13, 2010
Thanks once Again Hooverback, I am from Pakistan my VO is London as my file was transferred from ISB, Pakistan to London as no more visa processing for PR is done here in Pakistan now.

I plan to send the mail to London office, when ever my ECAS status changes to In Process that they should transfer my file to Ottawa rather then Pakistan.

I hope it will be OK!

Thanks for your suggestion but I will be moving to Canada in mid December by all means.

Regards

atifamr

Star Member
Oct 13, 2010
Dear Hooverback;

Can you please inbox me your contact number & email address please; I plan to contact you whne in Canada just in case of any queries when my status changes to In Process.

If convenient to you.

Regards
Atif

aashamsi

Jan 9, 2013
Canada
Re: Dealing with Passport Request while you're residing in Canada on OWP

hooverback said:
This message is intended for people who came to Canada on an open work permit (OWP) issued under the Federal Skilled Worker Backlog program. It is not intended for people who arrived in Canada in a different program. I'm providing this information so that you all can benefit from my experience of getting my passport stamped as an inland applicant.

1. When you came to Canada on an OWP, your PR application wasn't reviewed. If your ECAS status shows "Application Received", it means that the visa officer has not started reviewing your application for permanent residency. Until your ECAS status shows "In Process", it means that the application is still under consideration. Therefore, check your ECAS status regularly to know any status change.

2. An ECAS status of "In Process" means that the visa officer has established that they have all the information required to process your application. When you find this status in ECAS, send an email to your visa office. In your email, mention that you anticipate a big problem if you receive a request to send your passport to your home country (India or Pakistan) since the government regulations prohibit its citizens to send passports outside the country of residence. In the same email, request the visa office to transfer your application to CPP-Ottawa for stamping your passport with the immigrant visa.

3. You will receive a passport request a few days after your ECAS status changes to "Decision Made". If your visa office does not consider your request for stamping your passport as an inland applicant (my visa office did not), it will ask you to submit your passport to your visa office. At this time, send another email requesting the visa office to transfer the finalization of your application to CPP-Ottawa. In this email, include evidence of how you came to Canada (under OWP issued to speed up your absorption in the Canadian labor market while your PR application was being processed) and also include any pay stubs of your current employment.

4. After #3, Wait 7 business days to receive a reply from your visa office. If you don't receive a reply, meet your local MP with the evidence of the communication that you initiated prior to receiving the passport request and subsequent to receiving the passport request. Request the local MP to contact your visa office on your behalf. The visa office will reply to a communication from an MP's office in 2-3 business days. Wait 3 business days to receive a reply. If you don't receive a reply after 3 business days, meet with the local MP again and communicate the urgency of your request.

5. Hopefully your visa office will request CPP-Ottawa to stamp your passport with the immigrant visa. In this case, you will receive a passport request from CPP-Ottawa. When you receive this request, send your passports and 2 latest photographs of each person, printout of the communication from CPP-Ottawa and a self addressed return envelope in a Canadapost XPress Post package. Your return envelope should also be a Canadapost XPress Post envelope.

6. You will receive your stamped passport from CPP-Ottawa within 2-weeks. When you receive your stamped passport, visit the nearest Canada Border Post and complete your landing. You can complete your landing at a local CIC office also, but there is a 4-week waiting period for it. You should complete your landing as soon as possible because your health card eligibility will start 3 months after you complete landing as a permanent resident.

7. Take your Work Permit, your Passport and your COPR forms with you when you're going to the Border Post. At the Border Post, the immigration officer will cancel your work permit and your immigrant visa after confirming your permanent residency. The officer will then ask you to provide your address of residence. Provide the address where you want to receive your PR card. If you change your address before receiving the PR card, you can always initiate an address change request to CIC.

8. Once you've completed your landing, visit the Service Canada office in your region and request for a new SIN. Your new SIN will be mapped with your previous SIN so that your credit history does not have to start afresh.

- Hooverback
Dear Hooverback,

It's really very useful information; it will definitely help me for Visa stamping, Landing & SIN.

Well I have already informed them about my landing in Canada, do I still need to specifically request them to send PP request in Canada (via CPP-Ottawa)?

Earlier I though we have to exit completely from Canada to complete landing process, but now I am relax :)

If we have already completed 90 days waiting period for OHIP (during OWP stay), then I think no need to again wait for another 90 days, because when I applied for OHIP they have given validity of 1 years, and mentioned that by next renewal if I get PR then it will be renewed for next 5 years (and not mentioned about any waiting period) otherwise 1 year.

What about your case, where you are in this process? Have you completed all 8 steps or still going through?

What is your Visa office?

hooverback

Aug 31, 2004
Bangalore, India

Folks from Pakistan,

Please visit the following thread to know how to deal with your passport request. It seems that you will not have to go through the circus that citizens of India have to endure:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ontario-fsw-pilot-t99261.0.html;msg2489644#msg2489644

Since your local visa office (Islamabad) is dysfunctional, your passport requests will originate from the London visa office. The London visa office will receive your passport and also dispatch your stamped passport to an address in Canada. The person owning the thread (Rafiariz) got his visa stamped according to information available from his profile.

- Hooverback

aashamsi said:
Dear Hooverback,

It's really very useful information; it will definitely help me for Visa stamping, Landing & SIN.

Well I have already informed them about my landing in Canada, do I still need to specifically request them to send PP request in Canada (via CPP-Ottawa)?

Earlier I though we have to exit completely from Canada to complete landing process, but now I am relax :)

If we have already completed 90 days waiting period for OHIP (during OWP stay), then I think no need to again wait for another 90 days, because when I applied for OHIP they have given validity of 1 years, and mentioned that by next renewal if I get PR then it will be renewed for next 5 years (and not mentioned about any waiting period) otherwise 1 year.

What about your case, where you are in this process? Have you completed all 8 steps or still going through?

What is your Visa office?

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vuexperts said:
Dear please clear me about this

If you see on the left hand side tag

Get medical exam

Requirement for Permanent Residence

Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you do not come to Canada as a permanent resident within that time, you may need to have another exam.

It seems that this validity is under Permanent Residence , if we have medical under this category then this medical validity is for 2 years

But there is not mentioned any thing about OWP

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp
@vuexperts

There are Following three Types of Medical Exams :

Check which one you had for your OWP, I had Non EDE.

As per my understanding PR Candidates also go through Non EDE exam. Forum Members who got Medical Request for their PR Medical exam can share the category name given in front of IMM Type on the Medical Form [ Client Biodata and Summary Page ( IMM 1017 ) ]

IMM Type: EDE; Non EDE; Refugee-Overseas

The Medical Report (IMM 1017) issued by CIC includes information on the type of
immigration category (IMM Type):
 Excessive Demand Exempt (EDE);
 Non-Excessive Demand Exempt (Non-EDE); and
 Refugee-Overseas.

EDE :

EDE clients are those who
are exempted from
assessment of excessive
demand on the Canadian
health care system.
However, EDE clients are
assessed for
 Danger to public health
 Danger to public safety

Non-EDE

Non-EDE clients are
assessed for
 Danger to public health
 Danger to public safety
 Excessive demand on
the Canadian health care
system

Refugee– Overseas

Refugee–Overseas clients
are also EDE.
NB: Refugee-Overseas –
Panel physicians must
complete and submit the
IMM 5544 Resettlement
Needs Assessment Form.

Again I am not an expert and CIC has lots of hidden surprises in their processes.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

hooverback said:

- Hooverback

@hooverback

+1 and Kudos for sharing this info with all the Forum Members .

I should have given +100 but this Website has a restriction : Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 168
hours.

Cheerss!!!!

rp_tp

Jan 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
NO
Nomination.....
28-07-2012
AOR Received.
28-07-2013
IELTS Request
Interview........
Open Work permit visa Aug 2013
Thanks @Hoverback

+1 from my side too

rafiariz

Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2013
Med's Request
feb 2013
Med's Done....
feb 2013
Passport Req..
august 2013
VISA ISSUED...
sep 2013
While immigrating to Canada, you can carry AS MUCH MONEY AS U WANT. No one will stop you and the money you carry is also not taxable.

HOWEVER

if you carry more than 10,000CAD per person, in that case do carry proof of funds along. Proof of Funds means that how did you manage to collect this amount, proof of funds could be papers showing you sold your house, your car, even your saving certificates proof.

vuexperts said:
Dear as per my knowledge you can take only 1000 $ with out paying tax or extra charges ( you can say ) per person.

If you have heard in news , last time , when Rahat Fateh Ali khan ( Pakistani singer ) moved from India to Pakistan with lot of money , he was arrested , as he did not inform at airport or made any NOC .For every country , There is money limit , which you can take in hand with out any restriction

rafiariz

Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2013
Med's Request
feb 2013
Med's Done....
feb 2013
Passport Req..
august 2013
VISA ISSUED...
sep 2013
Anyone on this forum from Pakistan who has got his/her degree equivalence done from WES. Plzzz inbox me, need help!!!

PPl already in Canada on OWP or PR, can you plz provide feedback on importance of degree equivalence??

Do we need to get our local degrees attested and equivalence for finding job in canada?

Are they conscious for testing degrees??

Apr 17, 2013
Maryam jaan,

Salam, man taghriban hame post hay shoma ro khoondam va karatoon ro paigiri kardam. man ham vaziatam mesle shoma bood yani sale 2007 baray federal eghdam karde boodam va sale 2012 baray ostane Ontario namzad shodam ama be dalil moshkelate khanevadegi natoonestam eghdam konam va certificatam expire shod ama khosh bakhtane baram tamdid kardan, hala dar hodoode 3 haftas ke madarekamo baray sydney ersal kardam. pool ro khahar zadam az dubi baram ba credit card ferestad va man eshtebahan moshakhasate khodamo tooy resid por kardam, hala dirooz ye reside scan shode ke moshakhasate khaharzadam va emzasho dare barashoon email kardam va nemidoonam ghabool mikonan ya na? nazare shoma dar in mored chie? man bayad asle resid ro barashoon post konam? lazem be zekre ke pool az hesab bardasht shode.
be omide movafaghiate shoma.

zain92

Nov 27, 2012
aoa all...

can any one let me know that

1) when the "Application Received" status changes then what comes after this.
2) after changing status what would be the format of new status means will it come in new line or just remove the old one and added new one.

my current status is showing "Application Received" and new line has been added with my name but status field is showing empty like following

Name status

ABC
ABC "xxxxxxx"

the first line has been added just today.... what does it mean?

thank you...

zain92

Nov 27, 2012
dear MuhammadFahad ...

just wait and see what they will say ... this is best in my opinion...

1) is your case for PR or OWP?
2) are you in IT?
3) what was your status after "application received"

thanks