+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ONLY - Who submitted CIC-AINP(SRS-U.S. Visa Holder Category) application

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
I don't think you have 60 days grace period or anything like that. But usually no company informs USCIS electronically. Companies and USCIS both take their sweet time to update the status, along with that I don't think Canadian agency goes into USCIS db to check your status. It is the document you bring at the time of application. You have the document to prove that you are in status (Your H1b pending application copy, or USCIS receipt of your application). If you don't have it, I think you can still ask for it even if it does not hold any value.

Go ahead and apply for work permit. If you feel that this is something you do not want to do, then you can apply for tourist visa as change of status and it will be pending, you can use that pending status as legal status as well.

This is my opinion.

Good Luck and post your experience from Canada.

Sincerely,

Qureshi said:
Chalo Canada,

As per my understanding you are not out of status as of now. It depends on your sponsor when he will cancel your H1-B and lets say on the same date on 30th Sep he cancelled it too by writing to USCIS even than legally you have 60 days grace period to look for another employer or to leave the country in good standing so that in future any company can file petition for you.

So bottom line you are not out of status. Go a head with your planning. Best of Luck.

A.G
Guys,
Few things happening on my side

My H1b expired on Sept 30th 2010.
I had filed for extension on June 30th 2010.still waiting on decision
On Oct 1st 2010 I was laid of from US job
Sept 27 - received job offer from calgary canada.
Oct 4th received letter of support fax from AINP.

Planning to apply for work permit next week at LA.

Now LA office on their websites says u have to be in STatus in US when applying at LA office?

Would they ask me to go to New Delhi to apply for work permit?
Would LA office create problem for being out of status for less than 10 days??

Please share your thoughts...

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
09-07-2010; reached 23-07-2010
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
30-12-2010, dated-15-12-2010
Thats a great idea Ajay.

I think I shld get a tourist visa.

Do you know the procedure how to file that. ?

Jacaranda

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ChaloCanada, fyi

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/775330-h1b-to-b2-transfer-multiple-questions.html

looks like u can file COS yourself....and u should get 6 months on it

ChaloCanada said:
Thats a great idea Ajay.

Jacaranda

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chalocanada, this link below kindof explains how to do COS, looks like the form is on the USCIS pay something like $300....good luck

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1024039761&f=4234032861&m=6821085781

ChaloCanada said:
Thats a great idea Ajay.

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
thanks a lot jacaranda

may be i am just getting paranoid

but if for $300 i can get peace of mind, i am fine with that..

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
Also chances are they will issue you a PR as opposed to work permit. This has happened in the past (with people who are done with their medicals)

:)

jxyj01

Star Member
Oct 5, 2010
Hello Guys,

I have been following this forum on and off. Never posted here.
Here are my time lines

Nomination.....: 11.27.2009
CIC Application: 02-22-2010
AOR Received.: 06-22-2010
Med's Request: 06-22-2010
Med's Done....: 06-24-2010
Med Received: 07-02-2010

I am still waiting for my Passport Request. This wait is getting little too long. Today, I sent an inquiry to buffalo office that there is no update after 3 months from my medical exam.

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
Upon further digging I got this on the Immigration and Refugee protection Act. In 2 (a) it say applicant should be lawfully admitted

Place of application for temporary resident visa, work permit or study permit
(2) An application for a temporary resident visa — or an application for a work permit or study permit that under these Regulations must be made outside of Canada — must be made to an immigration office that serves as an immigration office for processing the type of application made and that serves, for the purpose of the application,

(a) the country in which the applicant is present and has been lawfully admitted; or

(b) the applicant's country of nationality or, if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence other than a country in which they are residing without having been lawfully admitted.

C

cchabert

ChaloCanada said:
Upon further digging I got this on the Immigration and Refugee protection Act. In 2 (a) it say applicant should be lawfully admitted

Place of application for temporary resident visa, work permit or study permit
(2) An application for a temporary resident visa — or an application for a work permit or study permit that under these Regulations must be made outside of Canada — must be made to an immigration office that serves as an immigration office for processing the type of application made and that serves, for the purpose of the application,

(a) the country in which the applicant is present and has been lawfully admitted; or

(b) the applicant's country of nationality or, if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence other than a country in which they are residing without having been lawfully admitted.
In English please? :-D

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
I guess only lawyers can understand it

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
My interpretation

Place of application for temporary resident visa, work permit or study permit (Para detailing where the application can be submitted)
(2) An application for a temporary resident visa — or an application for a work permit or study permit that under these Regulations must be made outside of Canada
(TRV if applied outside Canada)

— must be made to an immigration office that serves as an immigration office for processing the type of application made
(must be submitted to an immigration office that serves Temp visa)

and that serves, for the purpose of the application, (Office serves temporary visas)

(a) the country in which the applicant is present and has been lawfully admitted; or ( The applicant is in a country where he is lawfully admitted)

(b) the applicant's country of nationality ((country of nationality)

or, if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence other than a country in which they are residing without having been lawfully admitted.
(appears if u r in a country illegally, u have to go to u r parent country)

Avalap

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
Hi Chalo Canada,

First of all, don't let the adverse circumstances dampen your hopes and enthusiasm. Considering the job offer from Alberta and AINP letter, you are in a much better situation.

Few Questions?

1. You filed for H1 extension on June 30, 2010 - ( Are you done with 6yrs of stay in US or is it your first extension).

2. Do you have a receipt number for extension filed and who filed for your extension? The same employer?

My thoughts:

I think you need not worry about your Canadian Work Permit application. You can claim that since you got the job offer on Sept 27, 2010 from Albert (Canada) and your Alberta PR application is pending, you quit the job on Oct 01, 2010 (if asked).

Canadian officals are friendly and understanding. Considering the fact that you legally worked in the US on H1 and quit (Intentionally avoiding the word Laid off) the US job after you got Albert Job offer, the visa officer will not dig in for further details on your current status in US. The support letter from Alberta AINP office further strengthens your application for work permit.

In the worst case, if the visa officer ask you about your status in US, you can still claim point your fingers at USCIS 240 day rule: " If the employer files a timely extension of stay petition, the employee may continue to work for a period not to exceed 240 days while the application is pending, beginning on the date of expiration of the authorized period of stay. If INS denies the application for the extension of stay, employment authorization automatically expires on the date of the INS's notification of denial".

Technically speaking, the above rule doesn't come to your resuce since you are no longer employed with the same employer but politically - Since your petition is still pending with USCIS and your employer has not filed for cancellation of your petition yet , you are on legal status ---- Its interpretation of convenience (Try to make the best use to your defense if the need arises). Do submit your USCIS Receipt (filed on June 30) along with the application as a proof of your status in US. Claim the use of 30 days grace period ( Dont know if it really exists or not, but If I were you I would make use of it)

PS: Even in the worst case, if the canadian officer insists you to go to home country to apply for the Canadian Work Permit visa, then explore the option of going to Bahamas for Canadian Work Permit visa stamping ( if you dont want to go to India).

" Men who are resolved to find a way for themselves will always find opportunities enough; and if they do not find them, they will make them"

Good Luck my friend.

ChaloCanada said:
Guys,
Few things happening on my side

My H1b expired on Sept 30th 2010.
I had filed for extension on June 30th 2010.still waiting on decision
On Oct 1st 2010 I was laid of from US job
Sept 27 - received job offer from calgary canada.
Oct 4th received letter of support fax from AINP.

Planning to apply for work permit next week at LA.

Now LA office on their websites says u have to be in STatus in US when applying at LA office?

Would they ask me to go to New Delhi to apply for work permit?
Would LA office create problem for being out of status for less than 10 days??

Please share your thoughts...

Jay007

Star Member
Nov 15, 2008
Today, I got mail from AINP.( I got PR under H1B AINP)

Dear xxxxxxx,

I am emailing from the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) to ask a few questions so we can update your contact information in our database. This updated contact information will be used for the AINP follow-up survey, which is an annual survey the AINP conducts with nominees who have landed and become permanent residents of Canada.

Our records show you landed in xxxx 2009. Congratulations on becoming a permanent resident!

Please respond to this email answering the following questions:

What is your current home address? Mailing address if different?
What is your current home phone?
What is your current email address?
Where are you currently working? Please pick from the following options: Working in Alberta; in another province in Canada; in the USA; in your Home Country; somewhere else; or are you unemployed?

If you are not currently in Alberta, are you planning to come to Alberta in the future?

Thank you,

Andrea
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program