+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online work

Mar 8, 2015
Hello,

Is it legal for a non-Canadian citizen to do online work for a company that is not Canadian for clients that might not be Canadian to a bank account that is not situated in Canada? Please note they do not have a PR either.

Thank you!

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hopeful_canadian said:
Hello,

Is it legal for a non-Canadian citizen to do online work for a company that is not Canadian for clients that might not be Canadian to a bank account that is not situated in Canada? Please note they do not have a PR either.

Thank you!
To my knowledge:
If you are in Canada as a visitor you can not work! you would have to switch to work permit and the case would need to be submitted to a visa office outside of Canada.

Mar 8, 2015
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/italian-citizen-married-to-a-canadian-skilled-worker-t251834.0.html

I found this thread earlier and this was mentioned:

You can also do online work, if it's not for a Canadian company, and your clients are not Canadian. (It's a slightly grey area, so as a rule of thumb, the less this online work has to do with Canada the better. Your employer cannot be Canadian, your clients should not be Canadian, and it would probably be better if they paid you outside Canada, such as to your bank account in Italy.
We also spoke to an immigration officer and he said that it was a grey area as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ottawa-applicant said:
To my knowledge:
If you are in Canada as a visitor you can not work! you would have to switch to work permit and the case would need to be submitted to a visa office outside of Canada.
This is wrong.

The original post is right. But you do have to make sure your employer isn't Canadian, none of your clients are Canadian and that none of the work you are doing is for the Canadian market.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
This is wrong.

The original post is right. But you do have to make sure your employer isn't Canadian, none of your clients are Canadian and that none of the work you are doing is for the Canadian market.
Do you have a source ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ottawa-applicant said:
Do you have a source ?
This is common knowledge on this forum (i.e. the fact you can work remotely without a work permit as long as you are not competing with the Canadian job market). We have plenty of people in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum who have done this (or are doing it) while waiting for their spousal sponsorship applications to be processed.

I'll try to find the source later today if I have time.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
This is common knowledge on this forum (i.e. the fact you can work remotely without a work permit as long as you are not competing with the Canadian job market). We have plenty of people in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum who have done this (or are doing it) while waiting for their spousal sponsorship applications to be processed.

I'll try to find the source later today if I have time.
thanks for the info.. it actually make sense to me

cheers

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

What kind of activities are not considered to be "work"?

An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not "work" for the purposes of the definition.

Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

- long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada

Mar 8, 2015
scylla said:
This is wrong.

canuck_in_uk said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

What kind of activities are not considered to be "work"?

An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not "work" for the purposes of the definition.

Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

- long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada
This is good news! Thank you and everyone for the responses

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
Does this kind of work require the person to pay taxes?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
One_Topsy said:
Does this kind of work require the person to pay taxes?
Canada is taxing you on worldwide income if you're Canadian resident. So yes, you need to pay taxes... if you defined as Canadian resident. Now definition of Canadian Resident by CRA is slightly different than Canadian Resident by CIC.