+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

henryr

Feb 1, 2015
We submitted OWP application on 31 Oct 2015 (Inland PR application submitted Dec 2014).

Received OWP today, dated 4 Feb, good for 2 years.

jas1989

Mar 24, 2015
Hey guys

I sent two outdated forms Gen 0008 and 5710e outdated with my application on 27 Nov 2015. So far I haven't heard anything from CIC.Now I am sending a 5476 form (Rep) which is basiclly me so I can access the file of my wife on her behalf. I called cic and they said you can send that document to the same CIC mississauga address or do it online as this is faster. I am thinking to send these outdated forms along with it. I can write at the envelope "Additional ENclosed info" with the file no., old trackimg no, client id everything.

What do you guys think?

Thanks J

zha09

Feb 28, 2016
Hi, Im new here and I hope someone can help me. I want to sponsor my husband who is in UAE right now. However, I don't know where to start. I am permanent resident. I was under the impression that he can apply for an Open Work Permit under the exemption of LMIA for being a spouse of a Foreign Skilled Worker, however i am not sure if I still belong there since I am already a PR but is still under the Skill Level A. So this is Option 1.
And then I saw this, problem is he's is not with me right now. So does it mean this is not applicable to us? If I have him to come with a tourist visa so he can come here and be eligible to apply for this, will the Canadian border not question him? If I apply for sponsorship first, can he then apply for an OWP outside Canada? PLease Help. Thank You.

justbelieve

Dec 3, 2015
Hi Guys,

My spouse's SIN (previously under LMIA, as work permit) is expiring on Aug 2016. Now he has his open work permit expiring next year Aug 2017. With his new open work permit, does he need to apply for a new SIN?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
justbelieve said:
Hi Guys,

My spouse's SIN (previously under LMIA, as work permit) is expiring on Aug 2016. Now he has his open work permit expiring next year Aug 2017. With his new open work permit, does he need to apply for a new SIN?
He needs to renew his SIN. He won't get a new one until he gets a permanent one after becoming a PR.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
zha09 said:
Hi, Im new here and I hope someone can help me. I want to sponsor my husband who is in UAE right now. However, I don't know where to start. I am permanent resident. I was under the impression that he can apply for an Open Work Permit under the exemption of LMIA for being a spouse of a Foreign Skilled Worker, however i am not sure if I still belong there since I am already a PR but is still under the Skill Level A. So this is Option 1.
And then I saw this, problem is he's is not with me right now. So does it mean this is not applicable to us? If I have him to come with a tourist visa so he can come here and be eligible to apply for this, will the Canadian border not question him? If I apply for sponsorship first, can he then apply for an OWP outside Canada? PLease Help. Thank You.
He will only be able to apply for OWP if he applies inland as your spouse/common law partner, since you are no longer a foriegn skilled worker, you are a PR.

If he is not with you, he will have to move to canada to be with you as OWP is ONLY for inland applicants. Outland applicants do not qualify.

When he enters Canada as a visitor, just tell the agent that he is here to visit.

vangurl890

Jun 19, 2015
Hi everyone! Ive posted this on the inland 2015 applications as well but I thought maybe someone here could also help me. I have applied for my husbands PR as well as his OWP inland on October 7th, 2015. I haven't heard anything until today. We received an email that stated :

"This refers to your application for a WORK PERMIT received 10/07/2015. No action is being taken to process your request for the following reasons: As a foreign National in Canada you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit until such time as you receive confirmation that your application for Permanent Residence will be processed from within Canada. Your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit all be issued to you."

Has anyone else received anything like this? I don't understand why they say as a foreign National in Canada you are not eligible. I thought the new rules were while you are in Canada waiting to receive your PR card they have started allowing people to work with an OWP (if granted).

Any comments are greatly appreciated!!

sinimat

Mar 17, 2016
I have been following this forum quite a while now because I am getting really anxious about my application. I applied October 5th, 2015 and received my AOR just last week (March 8th). TodayI found this excel spreadsheet called inland application timeline (I tried to link it but it didn't let me) and learned that somehow almost all November applicants have received their OWP already in Feb and March but not October applicants. How is this possible??! I am very frustrated and I cannot believe that if only I applied month LATER than I did, I would have received my OWP already. Can anyone explain what the heck is going on? Is there anything to do about this?

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
sinimat said:
I have been following this forum quite a while now because I am getting really anxious about my application. I applied October 5th, 2015 and received my AOR just last week (March 8th). TodayI found this excel spreadsheet called inland application timeline (I tried to link it but it didn't let me) and learned that somehow almost all November applicants have received their OWP already in Feb and March but not October applicants. How is this possible??! I am very frustrated and I cannot believe that if only I applied month LATER than I did, I would have received my OWP already. Can anyone explain what the heck is going on? Is there anything to do about this?
You should call CIC. the reason as to why you did not received your OWP yet because they just opened your application package thats why they send you an AOR.

justbelieve

Dec 3, 2015
just want to share with you guys, my husband's open work permit is Case Type 27, and he got approved on his Saskatchewan Health Card. We submitted everything including his previous Alberta Health Card (this would probably helped).

Nomad Nicol

Jul 13, 2015
Hi all,

So sadly it appears that my parter and I are splitting up and I'm wondering what effect that will have on my OWP if any. I received it in January and it's valid to Jan 2018.

As she is the sponsor, should our inland PR application be retracted could that lead to me OWP being voided? We are in Calgary where I have a contract to work until the end of June, I'm not sure what I'm going to do afterwards but a trip home to Scotland would definitely be involved. Would there be any further risk to me returning and working in a different Canadian city for the remaining period of my OWP?

And I take it if we didn't retract the PR and let it run (which is highly unlikely) that it'd be breaching a whole heap of rules and likely revoked anyway.

:'(

EDIT - Oh and anyone willing to rent out a room to the end of June for a friendly price, please get in touch!

LongDistanceLife

Apr 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa [UK applicant]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
SA : 15.07.2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Hi all,

Quick question. We just applied for my spousal visa via OUTLAND application. However, I am going to visit Canada for at least 6 months in September of this year. Once I am in Canada, waiting for my visa to be processed (approx. 17months) am I then eligible to apply for the Open Work Permit from within Canada?