+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Hockeymama

Dec 1, 2015
Hi guys... can anyone tell me or give me some sort of estimate of when they received their OWP under the Pilot Program....our app was received Dec 10, 2015 so technically under the Pilot Program we should've seen something by April 10. Phoned CIC Thurs, they noticed that it has gone past the due date.....they have sent in a request to the Processing Centre to see where it's at and that they won't be able to inquire about it for ANOTHER 90 days (since they have already done so)....so each time we phone to check on this the answer will be the same....SERIOUSLY?? our nerves are shot. Is there ANY way one can get an answer? Or see where it is at....we did Paper App...and are pretty 100% we left nothing off the app. We are doing Spousal Sponsorship from within and App for OWP (Pilot) was sent at the same time. We know they have it, it is just a matter of where the OWP is and how we can inquire on it.....frustrating...would like to hear from anyone out there, that have recently received their OWP and around time our apps were received....thank you so much all!!! appreciate...dunno what we will do without this forum

jas1989

Mar 24, 2015
27 Nov applicant and my OWP just got dispatched last week and haven't received it yet. Is Agent able to see your OWP in there system? If in Mississauga , then ask agent to send email for why it is pending or meet your local MP.

CIC lost my file but they found my file on 7th april, 8th april work permit sent too vegerville, 12 april approved 13 april dispatched.

Hockeymama

Dec 1, 2015
jas1989 said:
27 Nov applicant and my OWP just got dispatched last week and haven't received it yet. Is Agent able to see your OWP in there system? If in Mississauga , then ask agent to send email for why it is pending or meet your local MP.

CIC lost my file but they found my file on 7th april, 8th april work permit sent too vegerville, 12 april approved 13 april dispatched.
Thank you so much.....agent has sent out a request to see where it's at, why delay is, but told us they cannot inquire for another 90 days after this last one they did....so just nerve wrecking to sit and wait and maybe WAIT another 90 days before they can inquire AGAIN? Just doesn't make sense.....either way...will wait a week or so and see if we can send in an email request OR as you say speak to local MP....

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
Hockeymama said:
Thank you so much.....agent has sent out a request to see where it's at, why delay is, but told us they cannot inquire for another 90 days after this last one they did....so just nerve wrecking to sit and wait and maybe WAIT another 90 days before they can inquire AGAIN? Just doesn't make sense.....either way...will wait a week or so and see if we can send in an email request OR as you say speak to local MP....

I think the december 9-10 applicants are left behind :(( I still don't hve mine and I called the agent and still in process and its in CPC-M:/

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
Hello everyone! Just a quick update: We got our OWP today! We sent the original form to Mississauga back in September but due to a mixup (we sent the wrong one and my husband lost status as a result) things were delayed. We had to send an application for restoration of status along with the proper work permit form on January 15th. After a very stressful wait where we didn't know if he was going to have to leave the country or not, the permit came in the mail!

So, it took quite a bit longer than most to get here, but it did come :) It was less than 4 months from when we sent the correct forms in, at least. 8 months total because it took them 4 months to realize we were missing something :(.

RK10

Apr 21, 2016
Hello All,

Do we send the PR application along with OWP to CPC- missisauga in ONE package?

has anyone done that?

Thanks,
RK

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RK10 said:
Hello All,

Do we send the PR application along with OWP to CPC- missisauga in ONE package?

has anyone done that?

Thanks,
RK
Yes. Make sure to pay the full amount for the OWP ($155 + $100)!

If you still have status, you should see it in ~ 4 months...hopefully.

If you no longer have legal status, you need to write `PROCESS AFTER AIP' across the top of the OWP in big letters.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
dominokitty said:
Hello everyone! Just a quick update: We got our OWP today! We sent the original form to Mississauga back in September but due to a mixup (we sent the wrong one and my husband lost status as a result) things were delayed. We had to send an application for restoration of status along with the proper work permit form on January 15th. After a very stressful wait where we didn't know if he was going to have to leave the country or not, the permit came in the mail!

So, it took quite a bit longer than most to get here, but it did come :) It was less than 4 months from when we sent the correct forms in, at least. 8 months total because it took them 4 months to realize we were missing something :(.
We also sent one wrong paper with OWP (same thing with PR) but we sent the right one yesterday in envelope few weeks later than application package. We included UCI and contact information and just hope they will include attachment in our application :( This is what CIC said when we called in panic that we forgot something. How likely they will reject our RP & OWP application because of this?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmv said:
We also sent one wrong paper with OWP (same thing with PR) but we sent the right one yesterday in envelope few weeks later than application package. We included UCI and contact information and just hope they will include attachment in our application :( This is what CIC said when we called in panic that we forgot something. How likely they will reject our RP & OWP application because of this?
Unfortunately it depends on how important that document is, and what the person at CIC decides to do. It is their sole discretion.

It's also impossible to know if they will be able to match the new document with your package, since you do not yet have a file number (application number).
Hopefully, they will!

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Ponga said:
Unfortunately it depends on how important that document is, and what the person at CIC decides to do. It is their sole discretion.

It's also impossible to know if they will be able to match the new document with your package, since you do not yet have a file number (application number).
Hopefully, they will!
I feel so shame about this, but we sent marriage statement instead certificate. Just a huge mistake we did because papers looks so same. I feel they think it is big deal (because it is a spousal sponsorship application), but I just try to hope the statement show we are got married and they will just request certificate from us. (or get it in mail which we sent)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
out of curiousity, is there anyone on this thread from Ontario who has been working on the OWP for 6 mo and have tried to get OHIP? a poster in another thread is suggesting the OHIP rule for OWP holders may not apply to this OWP. Would love to know if people have been successful with OHIP...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
out of curiousity, is there anyone on this thread from Ontario who has been working on the OWP for 6 mo and have tried to get OHIP? a poster in another thread is suggesting the OHIP rule for OWP holders may not apply to this OWP. Would love to know if people have been successful with OHIP...
It's because the OWP (for those that received it via the Pilot Program), have `Type: 27' on it.

Those that have the regular OWP (issued after AIP) do not have this, thus their success with OHIP.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ponga said:
It's because the OWP (for those that received it via the Pilot Program), have `Type: 27' on it.

Those that have the regular OWP (issued after AIP) do not have this, thus their success with OHIP.
so your saying anyone who has tried to get OHIP after working for six months on the new OWP has been denied coverage? or is it just assumption based on the "type 27" language on the permit?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CDNPR2014 said:
so your saying anyone who has tried to get OHIP after working for six months on the new OWP has been denied coverage? or is it just assumption based on the "type 27" language on the permit?
They have been denied OHIP. They tried this "6 month" work and still got denied despite holding OWP case 27 and working.

At first when pilot OWP was introduced, a few inland were able to get OHIP until Ontario service got wind of it. They realized that not all OWP are the same. Pilot OWP are issued BEFORE AIP stage is reached. So they made a policy to disregard OWP case 27 for qualification as pilot OWP does say that applicant is pending PR qualification. In other words, hasn't reached AIP stage.

Remember the Pilot OWP is a TEMPORARY measure to compensate for the long inland process time to reach AIP stage. Once AIP stage processing time drops to a reasonable 6 months timeline, the Pilot OWP will be moot and dropped.

If CIC decided to make the pilot OWP "permanent" regardless of AIP processing timeline, then it is moot to have a "regular" OWP. Ontario Service then would remove OWP as a qualification document. AIP or DM or COPR would be the only acceptable documents.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
No, I'm NOT saying that ANYONE with Type:27 has been refused, only that those that HAVE been refused had this on their OWP.

Think about it...there must be a reason why CIC does this, because the Pilot Program OWP is issued solely because an Inland application has been submitted. Nothing has been checked regarding the sponsor's eligibility, or the applicant's qualifications for PR yet.

It was a great improvement to the system, but it's not perfect.