?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
sjhulme said:
Logistical question - how does one pay for the OWP? If I pay online, then I have to do the entire application online, which won't work? Based on the information found at the following link, it looks as though you have to wait 3 weeks for the only other option.

Pay your fees. There are two ways you can pay:
online (preferred option) or
at a financial institution in Canada.
For option 2:

We will need to mail you an original receipt.
It may take two to three weeks to arrive.
Bring this receipt to pay your fees at the bank or wire service. They will keep one section and give the rest back to you.
Send one section with your application and keep the other for your records.

(www)cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

My IEC visa is due to expire on Feb 1st and I don't think I can afford to wait 3 weeks to begin the process or I will lose status. Would it be worth me sending off without payment, for them to request it later so that I at least get it 'processing' on time?

I was previously rejected for the OWP because they claimed IEC is not eligible, so hopefully this update will change their ruling on that.

Cheers,
Steve
U can pay online even ur application sent by mail/post office as long has u have printer to print the receipt :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sjhulme said:
My IEC visa is due to expire on Feb 1st and I don't think I can afford to wait 3 weeks to begin the process or I will lose status. Would it be worth me sending off without payment, for them to request it later so that I at least get it 'processing' on time?
If you send it without payment, they will simply return it. As said above, you can pay online and mail the physical receipt along with the app.

cioannou

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-02-2014
AOR Received.
18-06-2014
Can someone please confirm what documents need to be sent with the OWP application under the pilot. Other than the actual application form and receipt of payment, is there anything else that needs to be sent?

sjhulme

Jan 13, 2015
Thanks everyone, I managed to figure out how to pay online and I have now submitted my application. I included the following:

1. Cover Letter
2. Completed IMM5710E document
3. Letter of employment (pertaining to question 2 of IMM5710E)
4. Proof of Work Permit payment ($155)
5. Photocopy of my: Passport, current valid work permit and stamped passport page to show my current visa expiry date as February 1st 2015.
6. Printed copy of program delivery update (December 22, 2014) for context
7. Proof of medical performed within the last 12 months.
8. Additional proof of payment for $1,040 for my SCLPC application for reference (there is also a copy of this in my main SCLPC application).

After speaking with a lady at CIC, sending all of this was not required (only #2 and #4) but I saw no harm in including these extra details.

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
sjhulme said:
Thanks everyone, I managed to figure out how to pay online and I have now submitted my application. I included the following:

1. Cover Letter
2. Completed IMM5710E document
3. Letter of employment (pertaining to question 2 of IMM5710E)
4. Proof of Work Permit payment ($155)
5. Photocopy of my: Passport, current valid work permit and stamped passport page to show my current visa expiry date as February 1st 2015.
6. Printed copy of program delivery update (December 22, 2014) for context
7. Proof of medical performed within the last 12 months.
8. Additional proof of payment for $1,040 for my SCLPC application for reference (there is also a copy of this in my main SCLPC application).

After speaking with a lady at CIC, sending all of this was not required (only #2 and #4) but I saw no harm in including these extra details.
thanks for this Sjhulme :)

raffylopezcutora

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga - inland app
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 19, 2014
AOR Received.
September 9, 2015
Med's Request
September 15, 2015
Med's Done....
September 29, 2014 - upfront
Interview........
October 28, 2015
LANDED..........
October 28, 2015
hi guys,

i just submitted my OWP apps this morning via Canada Post and it will be received on Monday next week. I called CIC this morning and the lady that i talked to sent me an email with the instructions to follow.Below is her email. The ones in RED has link on it but i am not allowed to post the link here. Please let me know if you want me to send you the email in your inbox here.

Please do not reply to this email.

Date: 2015-01-14

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:
Open Work Permit - Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada
If a spouse or common-law partner sponsored from inside Canada would like to work during the processing of their permanent residence (PR) application, they will require a work permit. To apply for one, they must:
• Complete a separate application for an open work permit, but include the supporting documents and necessary payment for both applications in the same envelope and send it to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC), Ontario,
• Send an application for an open work permit before their application is approved in principle (AIP)* if they meet certain criteria, or
• Wait until the PR application is approved in principle.
In order to apply:
Before their PR application has received AIP, they may send an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to the following address:

CPC - Vegreville
WP - Unit 777
6212-55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

After their PR application has received AIP, they may:
o apply online on our website; or
o send an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to address mentioned above.

Visit our website to see how long it may take to process their application.
Please note that they must:
• Keep a legal status in Canada during the entire process of their application for permanent residence, and
• Wait for their work permit to be approved before starting to work.
*Approved in principle means that they received a letter from the Case Processing Centre/local office stating that they are eligible to apply for PR status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a PR have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for them and, if applicable, their family members.

The information in this email is meant to assist you in understanding the immigration and citizenship policies and/or procedures. If you plan on consulting this email again at a future date, please visit our website at www.cic.gc.ca to ensure that you have the most current information.

I would also like to suggest other online services that you might find helpful:
• Download application forms and guides
• Change of address
• Check your application status
• Help Centre to find answers to your questions

softball

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
HI i submitted my inland application in May 2014, got AOR in Aug 2014. I also worked in Canada for a few years after I graduated from a canadian university, and I am still working now. I just received my owp from the family sponsorship owp pilot project. I am wondering if I can and should submit my profile in express entry category to speed up my process? I don't have LMIA, but I have a formal full-time job with a owp.

mrsb2014

Jan 14, 2015
AB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London :'(
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Originally Jan 20 2015 (included wrong checklist) resent Mar 27 2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 9th - RCMP CHECK & RPRF requested
AOR Received.
Apr 28 2015
File Transfer...
May 15 2015
Med's Done....
Dec 23 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice as I am totally conflicted about the new pilot vs Outland.

Here's my situation.

My husband (Canadian by birth) and I got married in May 2014, we had known each other 5 months when we got married but decided to get married quickly rather than waiting. (Not getting any younger :-[ )

I am a UK citizen by birth and have spend the majority of our relationship in Canada with my husband as a visitor.

We did not want to apply straight away for PR as was worried CIC would question our relationship as it was still quite new. Although, very very genuine. We also had a 2nd wedding/blessing in England in Sept 14 so i could celebrate with my family / friends that couldn't come to Canada.

On my last entry in Sept 14 I was given a visitor record by a very nice immigration man in Calgary, that is valid to Mar 15.

Now that this new pilot scheme has come around we are debating whether to stick to the Outland or try and get an OWP for me so I can get a job and out of the house!!

Also I am worried about being called for interview and having to go to London if we apply outland. We don't have plans to return to England for a while as we want to start a family and travelling isn't something i want to do if pregnant/with new born.

Also when you get PR outland do you have to leave and re enter?

We live in Alberta and I can get Healthcare now as a visitor but the option to work / start my own business again is very tempting with the Inland/OWP.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or advice as I really am undecided.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mrsb2014 said:
Also I am worried about being called for interview and having to go to London if we apply outland. We don't have plans to return to England for a while as we want to start a family and travelling isn't something i want to do if pregnant/with new born.

Also when you get PR outland do you have to leave and re enter?

We live in Alberta and I can get Healthcare now as a visitor but the option to work / start my own business again is very tempting with the Inland/OWP.
Hi

Unless you have some MASSIVE red flags, you won't be called for an interview.

A person needs to land as a PR. This can be done either by flagpoling at the border or by appointment at an inland CIC office (though it can take weeks or months to get an appointment).

CIC is saying 4 months for an OWP with an inland app, though that won't be confirmed until we see if December applicants actually get OWPs by April. It will then be around another 1.5 years or maybe more for you to become a PR. Outland through London averages around 8 months to become a PR. It's up to you. For me, that 4 extra months of being able to work with an inland app really doesn't outweigh the overall much faster processing time of outland.

mrsb2014

Jan 14, 2015
AB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London :'(
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Originally Jan 20 2015 (included wrong checklist) resent Mar 27 2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 9th - RCMP CHECK & RPRF requested
AOR Received.
Apr 28 2015
File Transfer...
May 15 2015
Med's Done....
Dec 23 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Unless you have some MASSIVE red flags, you won't be called for an interview.

A person needs to land as a PR. This can be done either by flagpoling at the border or by appointment at an inland CIC office (though it can take weeks or months to get an appointment).

CIC is saying 4 months for an OWP with an inland app, though that won't be confirmed until we see if December applicants actually get OWPs by April. It will then be around another 1.5 years or maybe more for you to become a PR. Outland through London averages around 8 months to become a PR. It's up to you. For me, that 4 extra months of being able to work with an inland app really doesn't outweigh the overall much faster processing time of outland.
Hi
Thank you for your reply.

What would be a Massive red flag?? I doubt we have any as its a genuine relationship and i have included tons of proof!! Plus we've only been apart about 8 weeks since we met!! Being called for interview is my biggest concern of outland, as I really don't want to go to London!!

I am weary of the 4 month promise, plus the sudden surge of inland is surely going to make the overall wait longer?!

If the current wait outland is only 8 months, rather than the 11 posted on CIC then thats not so bad!!

Also we're going on holiday on Monday so need to decide ASAP as will need some kind of proof of application to re-enter!! :eek:

sjhulme

Jan 13, 2015
Just in case anyone was wondering, according to the multiple agents I have spoken to at CIC, the IEC program counts as eligible for Implied Status under this new pilot program.

I was skeptical because in August 2014 I sent an IMM5710E online after having sent off my inland spousal visa, and it was promptly refused. I was rejected on the grounds that 'IEC UK does not qualify as a work permit eligible for extension or implied status', it seems that they've now changed their minds (wish I could get my $155 back).

I've been worried that, since I only sent my IMM5710E and payment yesterday, and my current IEC visa expires February 1st, that I wouldn't have time to receive the OWP, but apparently this doesn't matter given implied status.

It seems strange to me that you receive no documentation at all for Implied Status, it's causing some concern from my employer since I told them that I was going to have to quit Feb 1st and now all of a sudden I am saying something else and I have no government issued documentation to support my legal status to work here.

Has anyone been through this before and managed to get documentation to prove their implied status to their employer?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mrsb2014 said:
What would be a Massive red flag?? I doubt we have any as its a genuine relationship and i have included tons of proof!! Plus we've only been apart about 8 weeks since we met!! Being called for interview is my biggest concern of outland, as I really don't want to go to London!!

I am weary of the 4 month promise, plus the sudden surge of inland is surely going to make the overall wait longer?!

If the current wait outland is only 8 months, rather than the 11 posted on CIC then thats not so bad!!

Also we're going on holiday on Monday so need to decide ASAP as will need some kind of proof of application to re-enter!! :eek:
Red flags are things like a huge age difference, completely different religious/economic/social/educational backgrounds, criminal record, dependents not included etc. In my few years on the forum, I've only seen a few Brits called for interviews and ALL had red flags. If you have no red flags, you will not have an interview.

No one knows about the 4 month promise of an OWP/

11 months is how long it took to process 80% of apps, which means that 79% are done faster than that. The average is around 8 months.

You can pay the fees now; they are the same whether you decide to apply inland or outland. The fee receipt is good evidence when returning to Canada that you guys are following the rules by applying for PR

shesosilly

Jan 14, 2015
I have a question. We submitted our spousal sponsorship last December and I just learned about this pilot program today. Browsing through the CIC website, I found the application form for it. There's a portion there that asks for "potential employer" and a letter from that employer.

Seeing that, is it a requirement for me to have a potential employer before I can apply for an Open Work Permit? Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sjhulme said:
Just in case anyone was wondering, according to the multiple agents I have spoken to at CIC, the IEC program counts as eligible for Implied Status under this new pilot program.

I was skeptical because in August 2014 I sent an IMM5710E online after having sent off my inland spousal visa, and it was promptly refused. I was rejected on the grounds that 'IEC UK does not qualify as a work permit eligible for extension or implied status', it seems that they've now changed their minds (wish I could get my $155 back).
Note that the CIC call centre agents are very well known for giving inaccurate information when it comes to IEC visa and implied status. I would not trust anything they say on the topic.

Go by the response you got from the actual visa officer that initially rejected your work permit extension, and assume IEC still does not qualify you for implied status. To be safe, you should stop working when your IEC visa expires, and wait until you get OWP under new pilot program before you begin working again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sjhulme said:

It seems strange to me that you receive no documentation at all for Implied Status, it's causing some concern from my employer since I told them that I was going to have to quit Feb 1st and now all of a sudden I am saying something else and I have no government issued documentation to support my legal status to work here.
They haven't changed their minds. Your first permit was rightly refused because you sent it online and separately from your inland app; CIC processed it immediately as a work permit extension instead of holding it for processing as an OWP attached to an inland PR app. Had you sent a paper app with a note explaining that you'd submitted an inland PR app and the OWP was to be processed after AIP, it wouldn't have been refused. They would have held it and processed it after AIP (or processed it now with the pilot program).

Though submitting the OWP app prior to your IEC expiring will give you Implied Status allowing you to stay in Canada, you cannot continue working when your IEC expires and before you receive the OWP. CIC does not provide proof of Implied Status.