CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
07 Aug 2014 (OPW APR: 09 Jan 2015)
Hello everyone.

I am new here. I just got my Open Work Permit approval (in effect from 9 Jan 2015), valid for two years. And got my SIN number, my learner's and applying for my health card now.

I filed my Permanent Resident application in April 2014, so waited for about nine months before the approval of my Open Work Permit - thanks to the pilot programme. Nine months is actually pretty fast, in my opinion. My husband and I got married in September 2013, I am expecting an interview prior to being Approved in Principle though due to our educational difference (I have a BAppSc and he has a Certificate) and race difference (I am Asian and he is White); even though a CBSA Officer actually asked me personal questions about my husband during the secondary inspection I had on my second entry in 2013' after a six months' continuous stay with my husband on Visitor Visa, I convinced him and he let me in on the basis that I planned on establishing my life here in Canada with my husband.

I just want to know, does this approval of my Open Work Permit actually mean that I will most probably be approved for Permanent Residency in Canada? Does the Visa Officer check for discrepancies in the marriage, for instance marriage fraud or marriage of convenience, before authorising the work permit? Does that also mean I have convinced that my marriage is genuine?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
queenpies said:
Hello everyone.

I am new here. I just got my Open Work Permit approval (in effect from 9 Jan 2015), valid for two years. And got my SIN number, my learner's and applying for my health card now.

I filed my Permanent Resident application in April 2014, so waited for about nine months before the approval of my Open Work Permit - thanks to the pilot programme. Nine months is actually pretty fast, in my opinion. My husband and I got married in September 2013, I am expecting an interview prior to being Approved in Principle though due to our educational difference (I have a BAppSc and he has a Certificate) and race difference (I am Asian and he is White); even though a CBSA Officer actually asked me personal questions about my husband during the secondary inspection I had on my second entry in 2013' after a six months' continuous stay with my husband on Visitor Visa, I convinced him and he let me in on the basis that I planned on establishing my life here in Canada with my husband.

I just want to know, does this approval of my Open Work Permit actually mean that I will most probably be approved for Permanent Residency in Canada? Does the Visa Officer check for discrepancies in the marriage, for instance marriage fraud or marriage of convenience, before authorising the work permit? Does that also mean I have convinced that my marriage is genuine?
No.

The OWP from the pilot program was issued because you have simply submitted an Inland application and does not imply that your PR will be approved. Your application will be examined like all applications.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
Ponga said:
No.

The OWP from the pilot program was issued because you have simply submitted an Inland application and does not imply that your PR will be approved. Your application will be examined like all applications.
I thought so too. My husband was a little confused so I thought I would ask it here. Thanks a lot anyway! Have a great day!

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seriously what is it with all of these February and March 2014 applicants getting screwed over, everyone is getting their OWP apart from them it has to do with something in the Office Transfer...

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
queenpies said:
Hello everyone.

I am also waiting on similar timeline. May I know when did you mailed you application for OWP. Mine is App filed in May 2014, AOR on Aug 2014, OWP filed on Jan 3rd 2015.
Any idea how long will it take .

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
vik999 said:
I am also waiting on similar timeline. May I know when did you mailed you application for OWP. Mine is App filed in May 2014, AOR on Aug 2014, OWP filed on Jan 3rd 2015.
Any idea how long will it take .
Hello!

I included my OWP application together with my Inland Sponsorship in April 2014. I think they said something about they aimed to process OWP applications submitted after 22 December 2014 in four months' time.

So I think you'd have to wait for approximately four months? I got my OWP in the mail on 14 or 15 Jan 2015, from CPC Vegreville.

Stay hopeful!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
queenpies said:
Hello!

I included my OWP application together with my Inland Sponsorship in April 2014. I think they said something about they aimed to process OWP applications submitted after 22 December 2014 in four months' time.

So I think you'd have to wait for approximately four months? I got my OWP in the mail on 14 or 15 Jan 2015, from CPC Vegreville.

Stay hopeful!
this "4 month" timeline only refers to the OWP issued as part of the pilot program starting Dec. 22. also, it's not clear if the '4 months' starts when the application is received or if it starts when AOR is issued. those are 2 different timelines. it is also unclear how long owp applications submitted before the pilot program will be issued, as it seems to be totally random at this time. at this point, no one can guarantee only 4 months. we have yet to seen that proved.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
rhcohen2014 said:
this "4 month" timeline only refers to the OWP issued as part of the pilot program starting Dec. 22. also, it's not clear if the '4 months' starts when the application is received or if it starts when AOR is issued. those are 2 different timelines. it is also unclear how long owp applications submitted before the pilot program will be issued, as it seems to be totally random at this time. at this point, no one can guarantee only 4 months. we have yet to seen that proved.
Vik9999 said she filed her OPW application on 3 Jan 2015. She did not include it with her PR application submitted in May 2014.

"SCLPC applicants whose permanent resident applications are received after December 22, 2014 will have their application for an open work permit processed within four months of receipt of their work permit application."

I said 4 months because that is what I personally think based on that quote from CIC - "processed within four months of receipt of their work permit application". I could very well be wrong. You are right, nobody can guarantee the wait time, unfortunately.

But in any case, just be hopeful and what we can do is to make sure we submit a complete package and let the wait begin!

Stay hopeful!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
queenpies said:
I said 4 months because that is what I personally think based on that quote from CIC - "processed within four months of receipt of their work permit application". I could very well be wrong. You are right, nobody can guarantee the wait time, unfortunately.
Remember that CPC-Mississauga, where you send your inland app + OWP to, does NOT process OWPs. Those are processed in CPC-Vegreville.

So I wonder if the 4 months clock starts when CPC-M receives the OWP, or when CPC-M actually opens and reviews the app, and forwards the OWP on to CPC-V? I guess we'll start seeing in around April or May 2015, if people that applied late Dec/early Jan start getting their OWPs or not.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
Rob_TO said:
Remember that CPC-Mississauga, where you send your inland app + OWP to, does NOT process OWPs. Those are processed in CPC-Vegreville.

So I wonder if the 4 months clock starts when CPC-M receives the OWP, or when CPC-M actually opens and reviews the app, and forwards the OWP on to CPC-V? I guess we'll start seeing in around April or May 2015, if people that applied late Dec/early Jan start getting their OWPs or not.
Hello!

I hope she sent it to the correct address. I know it is processed in Vegreville. Site says:

"include the appropriate fee, indicating that they are applying for an open work permit, and submit it to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, at the following address:

CPC – Vegreville
WP - Unit 777
6212-55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6"

I agree that we will have to wait and see what happens. Have a great day!

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
My experienced lawyer that works for a reputable law firm keeps telling me that this program does not apply for individuals on implied status, and therefore I do not qualify. What? Then who does it apply for, if not individuals on implied status? Isn't this whole program for those people and those people only?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
queenpies said:
Hello!

I hope she sent it to the correct address. I know it is processed in Vegreville. Site says:

"include the appropriate fee, indicating that they are applying for an open work permit, and submit it to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, at the following address:

CPC – Vegreville
WP - Unit 777
6212-55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6"

I agree that we will have to wait and see what happens. Have a great day!
Right if you submit OWP along with your inland app to get "implied" status, then everything goes to CPC-M.

However if you just submit your inland app to CPC-M with no OWP, then you can mail the OWP directly to CPC-V instead. Though i'm not sure how it would work mailing OWP directly to CPC-V, if they don' t have a record of your inland application. They may simply reject the OWP (meaning you would not have implied status) until CPC-M provides them with some basic info first.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MapleLeafMan said:
My experienced lawyer that works for a reputable law firm keeps telling me that this program does not apply for individuals on implied status, and therefore I do not qualify. What? Then who does it apply for, if not individuals on implied status? Isn't this whole program for those people and those people only?
It's a pilot program that issues OWP to all Inland applicants with valid status. Since Implied status is, in essence, valid status, ask your lawyer why it wouldn't pertain to you.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Ponga said:
It's a pilot program that issues OWP to all Inland applicants with valid status. Since Implied status is, in essence, valid status, ask your lawyer why it wouldn't pertain to you.
Their answer is...because I have implied status. According to them, this program does not apply for people with implied status. This is frustrating.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
MapleLeafMan said:
Hello!

I was on implied status as a visitor because I submitted my OPW application together with my Inland Sponsorship. So I qualify.

You can read from this site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/open.asp

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

I don't understand about what your lawyer said you don't qualify. :eek: