CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
07 Aug 2014 (OPW APR: 09 Jan 2015)
Rob_TO said:
Right if you submit OWP along with your inland app to get "implied" status, then everything goes to CPC-M.

However if you just submit your inland app to CPC-M with no OWP, then you can mail the OWP directly to CPC-V instead. Though i'm not sure how it would work mailing OWP directly to CPC-V, if they don' t have a record of your inland application. They may simply reject the OWP (meaning you would not have implied status) until CPC-M provides them with some basic info first.
Hello again!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

"Applicants who have already submitted an application for permanent residence under the SCLPC class but have not yet applied for an open work permit should complete an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (PDF, KB) (PDF, 452.86 KB) form [IMM 5710], include the appropriate fee, indicating that they are applying for an open work permit, and submit it to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, at the following address:

CPC – Vegreville
WP - Unit 777
6212-55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6"

So I think she should still send to Vegreville! I hope she is not out-of-status though. At least with OPW, we can work. The wait is realllllyyyy long. :(

mattb123

Sep 24, 2013
For those in Ontario who have received the OWP and who DO NOT have a letter from an employer... have you been able to successfully apply for OHIP? I was told I need an employment letter (need to be employed, basically).

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
queenpies said:
Hello!

I was on implied status as a visitor because I submitted my OPW application together with my Inland Sponsorship. So I qualify.

You can read from this site:

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

I don't understand about what your lawyer said you don't qualify. :eek:
But is implied status a valid temporary resident status? I though I'd have temporary residency first after stage 1, intial assessment, is done. Until then, implied status rather then temporary resident. No?

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
MapleLeafMan said:
But is implied status a valid temporary resident status? I though I'd have temporary residency first after stage 1, intial assessment, is done. Until then, implied status rather then temporary resident. No?
Implied status is a valid temporary resident status. Implied status is when you have a valid visitor visa or work permit, then before it expires, you apply to extend or change your status (e.g. extension of visitor visa, or change from visitor to worker), before you receive a reply from CIC, even if your actual visa expired, you will be on implied status.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

Are you really on implied status though? Have you maintained in status until now?

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
queenpies said:
Implied status is a valid temporary resident status. Implied status is when you have a valid visitor visa or work permit, then before it expires, you apply to extend or change your status (e.g. extension of visitor visa, or change from visitor to worker), before you receive a reply from CIC, even if your actual visa expired, you will be on implied status.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

Are you really on implied status though? Have you maintained in status until now?
I had a 6 month visitor visa, I sent off the application and paid the fee about 2 weeks before these 6 month had passed - so definitely implied status, right?

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
MapleLeafMan said:
I had a 6 month visitor visa, I sent off the application and paid the fee about 2 weeks before these 6 month had passed - so definitely implied status, right?
You had a 6 months' visitor visa, what application did you send in? An extension to your visitor visa or the OPW application? When did your 6 months' visitor visa expire?

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
queenpies said:
You had a 6 months' visitor visa, what application did you send in? An extension to your visitor visa or the OPW application? When did your 6 months' visitor visa expire?
I had a 6 month visitor visa automatic when I entered Canada since my country is visa exempt. About 2 weeks before these 6 months had passed, me and my wife sent off the application for her to sponsor me to become a PR.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
MapleLeafMan said:
I had a 6 month visitor visa automatic when I entered Canada since my country is visa exempt. About 2 weeks before these 6 months had passed, me and my wife sent off the application for her to sponsor me to become a PR.
Have you receive the AIP letter from CIC? Approved in Principle? Or any email sent to you and such? Check your junk mail too.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
queenpies said:
Have you receive the AIP letter from CIC? Approved in Principle? Or any email sent to you and such? Check your junk mail too.
No there is nothing recieved yet, not even an AOR which my lawyer
says is normal. However, we have proof from Canada post that the application was delivered before these 6 month expired and they also charged our credit card for the fee. So yes, Implied status...but my lawyer says this program doesn't apply for people with implied status.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
mattb123 said:
AOR but not AIP (Oct 2013 application). Is AOR sufficient in this case?
AOR is just an Acknowledgement of Receipt. It just means that CIC received the application and that you have submitted the complete package for the Family Sponsorship and is in the queue of waiting to be processed.

AOR doesn't mean you are on implied status. You can double check this, because I was told by the CIC call centre agent that I have to wait till it is Approved in Principle (AIP) then I will have temporary resident status, and if my visitor visa expired before AIP then I would be out of status.

If I want to remain in status the whole time, then I have to submit OPW application together with my Inland Sponsorship before my visitor visa expires. This way I will be on implied status as I am waiting for a reply from CIC about my application to OPW.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
MapleLeafMan said:
As long as you have a application pending (such as PR) you have implied status. The CIC call centre agent is wrong.
no, you are wrong. a PR application certainly does NOT give someone implied status. ONLY submitting an OWP does that. if an owp is not submitted with an inland application, it is the applicant's responsiblity to keep their status current by extending their stay as a visitor.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MapleLeafMan said:
Aha...that explains why your lawyer said you were not eligible (maybe).

if you sent the Inland application in for sponsorship but did NOT include the OWP , or apply to extend your visitor visa...you do NOT have implied status.

Sending the sponsorship application alone does NOT give the applicant implied status.

You may now be out of status completely!

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
MapleLeafMan said:
No there is nothing recieved yet, not even an AOR which my lawyer
says is normal. However, we have proof from Canada post that the application was delivered before these 6 month expired and they also charged our credit card for the fee. So yes, Implied status...but my lawyer says this program doesn't apply for people with implied status.
There is someone who submitted in May 2014 and had her AOR in August 2014. My application was received in April 2014, I had my AOR in August 2014. It is normal, though, for people to not receive AOR.

I think you really have to check with your lawyer if that is certainly "implied status" or call the CIC call centre to double check. I highly doubt it is implied status.

You can refer to this guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#appendixA