+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
By not answering my question on your status of restoration tells me you are still out of status.
You answered your own question. It doesn't matter what status I had because whichever one I did it doesn't matter as I was allowed to have a OWP.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
You answered your own question. It doesn't matter what status I had because whichever one I did it doesn't matter as I was allowed to have a OWP.
Riiiiiiggggghhhhttttttt!!! How can I have answered my own question when I haven't gotten a response to the one simple question. "Have you got your status restored or not?" Nothing more.

You haven't replied to that question. Whether or not you are getting an OWP or not, is not the issue.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
Has any 2014 applicant who filed OWP application got any news from CIC??? IS cic issuing only to 2013 first?

postdoc

Oct 18, 2013
Hi,
To everyone who applied for the OWP after this pilot program was launched (i.e. separate from your PR application), can you tell me what documents to include with my application? Just the form and proof of payment?

Thank you!!

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
postdoc said:
Hi,
To everyone who applied for the OWP after this pilot program was launched (i.e. separate from your PR application), can you tell me what documents to include with my application? Just the form and proof of payment?

Thank you!!
As much I remember, form, payment reciept, ur AOR copy, Medical copy and guess rest CIC should have all your docs when you had submitted Inland PR app

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Incorrect. Those with a valid work or study permit can apply for a TRV from within Canada.
Agree.

I know 3 people, 2 had student visas the other had a PGWP (not my common law partner) and all three of them were able to apply for TRV from within Canada in order to keep them having a legal status here

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So let me get this right, if you have a OWP and then apply for a TRV that might allow you to leave and re-enter Canada while your application is in progress?

The chances of the boarder agent not letting you in MUST be extremely low as you will have a OWP and a TRV, you could even show him your PR application status, there is no way he would not let you in....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jamesdavid3 said:
So let me get this right, if you have a OWP and then apply for a TRV that might allow you to leave and re-enter Canada while your application is in progress?

The chances of the boarder agent not letting you in MUST be extremely low as you will have a OWP and a TRV, you could even show him your PR application status, there is no way he would not let you in....
A TRV does not guarantee you will be allowed to enter Canada. Yes - the chances of refusal are likely very (extremely) low. But saying "there is no way he would not let you in" is inaccurate. There is a chance (no matter how small) of entry refusal.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well from what I can see on the website about TRV the whole point of applying for it is so that you CAN come back into Canada as you will have that status to show...

"If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit Yes I will have a OWP by then), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave."

It Just makes perfect sense, as long as you have a OWP and then you apply for the TRV and then you are approved that is the legal way of doing it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
Well from what I can see on the website about TRV the whole point of applying for it is so that you CAN come back into Canada as you will have that status to show...

"If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit Yes I will have a OWP by then), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave."

It Just makes perfect sense, as long as you have a OWP and then you apply for the TRV and then you are approved that is the legal way of doing it.
I can understand your thought of logic but isn't the OWP sort of tied to the TRV you first hold. By applying for a new TRV, wouldn't that imply that the OWP is unrelated to the new TRV. I can see some people saying that just because you have an OWP, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a new TRV.

jmd2014

Apr 8, 2014
screech339 said:
I can understand your thought of logic but isn't the OWP sort of tied to the TRV you first hold. By applying for a new TRV, wouldn't that imply that the OWP is unrelated to the new TRV. I can see some people saying that just because you have an OWP, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a new TRV.
Reading the procedures for extending your stay as a worker, they specifically state:
"If you are in Canada and need to extend your Work Permit and renew your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), submit a separate application for the new TRV to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa only after CIC has approved the extension of your Work Permit."

My interpretation of it that a work permit is nothing more than a permit to work. You should at all times have a valid visa if required. for visa exempt countries, it is likely sufficient to have only a WP. If you are form a non-visa exempt country you need both. However, if you have a valid WP and need to extend you TRV to match the dates of the WP, I think the possibility of them refusing a TRV is very low (but not 0)

regarding re-entering the country, people need to realize that CBSA and CIC are not the same department. They need to work together, but their policies and procedures are different. CBSA Officers have the right to refuse entry if they have reason to believe that the individual may not adhere to the terms of their visa. I agree though that if you have a valid WP and TRV, the chances of being refused at the border are extremely low - regardless if you have a pending PR application or not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jmd2014 said:
My interpretation of it that a work permit is nothing more than a permit to work. You should at all times have a valid visa if required. for visa exempt countries, it is likely sufficient to have only a WP. If you are form a non-visa exempt country you need both.
Incorrect. There is no need for non visa-exempt people to have a valid TRV while they are in Canada. It is the work permit, study permit or visitor status that allows a person to stay in Canada. A TRV is an entry visa, nothing more. It allows a person to travel on a commercial carrier to Canada; it doesn't guarantee entry and it doesn't grant status in Canada.

xxxma3dl

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2014
Doc's Request.
July 2014
Med's Request
20 Jan 2016
Med's Done....
29 Jan 2016
Interview........
10 Mar 2016
Hello! I hope you could help me with this. Here's my timeline for your reference:

Spousal sponsorship submitted: March 2014 (OWP not included)
Re-submission (since we had one form missing): July 2014

Until now, we haven't received our Acknowledgement of Receipt and we're worried.

Do I need to have my Acknowledgment of Receipt before I can apply for the OWP (I want to submit my application for their pilot program)?

I am new to this forum, please enlighten me with some acronyms :)

Thanks and regards everyone.

softball

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
we submit our application on May 27; got AoR on Aug 8; just got OWP today!
but no application status information online at all, no file received; no in progress;
Is anyone who submitted the application within the same time frame and got application status updated on CIC website? thanks! :-*

sjhulme

Jan 13, 2015
Logistical question - how does one pay for the OWP? If I pay online, then I have to do the entire application online, which won't work? Based on the information found at the following link, it looks as though you have to wait 3 weeks for the only other option.

Pay your fees. There are two ways you can pay:
online (preferred option) or
at a financial institution in Canada.
For option 2:

We will need to mail you an original receipt.
It may take two to three weeks to arrive.
Bring this receipt to pay your fees at the bank or wire service. They will keep one section and give the rest back to you.
Send one section with your application and keep the other for your records.

(www)cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

My IEC visa is due to expire on Feb 1st and I don't think I can afford to wait 3 weeks to begin the process or I will lose status. Would it be worth me sending off without payment, for them to request it later so that I at least get it 'processing' on time?

I was previously rejected for the OWP because they claimed IEC is not eligible, so hopefully this update will change their ruling on that.

Cheers,
Steve