+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
You would be eligible because you HAD legal status and still have legal status (albeit implied status).

Those that HAD legal status, but did not MAINTAIN that status, either by including an OWP, or Study Permit WITH their Inland application, or by extending their visitor status, would NOT be eligible:

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

QUESTIONS:
Please elaborate requirement #2 - I'm a little bit confused.... i am a permanent resident. thanks a lot

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
LAKEWOOD said:
You would be eligible because you HAD legal status and still have legal status (albeit implied status).

Those that HAD legal status, but did not MAINTAIN that status, either by including an OWP, or Study Permit WITH their Inland application, or by extending their visitor status, would NOT be eligible:

qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.

Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC applicants if they meet the following requirements:
a PR application has been submitted under the SCLPC class;
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse has submitted a sponsorship application on their behalf;
the SCLPC applicant resides at the same address as the sponsor; and
the SCLPC applicant has valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker).

QUESTIONS:
Please elaborate requirement #2 - I'm a little bit confused.... i am a permanent resident. thanks a lot
all that means is that you as the sponsor, submitted an application (along with the applicant's application) to sponsor your spouse. technically, in CIC's eyes, the Canadian sponsor is the one who "submits" the application to CIC.

ckwilson93

Jul 19, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My American husband has kept in status his entire year and a half here in alberta, through visitor permit extensions, so we applied for the OWP and I actually sent to vegreville the day of (Dec.22). I'll let you know what happens when we find out!

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophieee said:
Look at this from Facebook (Eric Laine is in contact with Chris Day)
I think everyone with legal status and AOR will be eligible, not just the ones applied in 2014.
What do they mean out of status? My husband was here on a visitor visit which expired a couple of days ago, in Novemeber a month before his visa expired we sent an extension for visa but we have still not heard back from CIC. My question now is, if anyone can help me what should I do I want to sent the inland application along with OWP within the next few weeks, but still dont know his status? Is he legal?
Can someone please help who has some advice on this?
Thank you

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
chris1302 said:
What do they mean out of status? My husband was here on a visitor visit which expired a couple of days ago, in Novemeber a month before his visa expired we sent an extension for visa but we have still not heard back from CIC. My question now is, if anyone can help me what should I do I want to sent the inland application along with OWP within the next few weeks, but still dont know his status? Is he legal?
Can someone please help who has some advice on this?
Thank you
He is on implied status right now while you are waiting for the new visitor record, this is a legal status. If you don't get his visitor record by the time you want to send the PR app you can write an explanation letter that you have applied for extension (with proof), but it's safer if you can wait till you get the paper and you can send a copy.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok awesome thanks for that info :)

I read somewhere that a medical is not required for the OWP right away? Is this correct?
We just really want him to get the OWP so he can start to work and not be bored at home, as for PR we can wait 2 yrs if need be.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chris1302 said:
I read somewhere that a medical is not required for the OWP right away? Is this correct?
We just really want him to get the OWP so he can start to work and not be bored at home, as for PR we can wait 2 yrs if need be.
A medical is not required for an OWP unless he plans on working in certain occupations, such as care-giving, teaching children, almost any job in the healthcare industry etc.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Dear friends,

I am a PR holder (of Indian origin) and am going to India to get married in February 2015. Ours is an arranged, traditional and genuine Indian marriage. I have started filling-up forms (Outland Canada application) for myself (sponsor) and my future wife (sponsored spouse). My future wife has a multiple entry Canadian visitor visa and will accompany me to Canada after we get married. She will stay with me here for the maximum permissible period (6 months) and return to India until she gets her PR.

I have just come across this post and the news regarding "One-year pilot OWP for spouses". Should I change the forms and apply as "Inland applicant" so that she can get "Open Work Permit" in about 4 months and we can start supporting each other financially besides keeping her busy. With Open work permit she may also be able stay longer than 6 months or until she gets her PR.

What is the risk involved here? Which one is better option?

Wishing every one a very Happy, Prosperous and Successful New Year 2015!!!!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
vermas said:
Dear friends,

I am a PR holder (of Indian origin) and am going to India to get married in February 2015. Ours is an arranged, traditional and genuine Indian marriage. I have started filling-up forms (Outland Canada application) for myself (sponsor) and my future wife (sponsored spouse). My future wife has a multiple entry Canadian visitor visa and will accompany me to Canada after we get married. She will stay with me here for the maximum permissible period (6 months) and return to India until she gets her PR.

I have just come across this post and the news regarding "One-year pilot OWP for spouses". Should I change the forms and apply as "Inland applicant" so that she can get "Open Work Permit" in about 4 months and we can start supporting each other financially besides keeping her busy. With Open work permit she may also be able stay longer than 6 months or until she gets her PR.

What is the risk involved here? Which one is better option?

Wishing every one a very Happy, Prosperous and Successful New Year 2015!!!!
just an FYI: your wife does NOT have to leave canada once she enters as a visitor. she can simply extend her stay as a visitor and stay for the duration of the process. the only reason she would need to return to india is if an interview is called and to collect her belongings. it is quite common for PR applicants to receive 12+ month extensions, and pr applicants are rarely denied extensions. she will not be able to work since she is a visitor, and will not be eligible for the new owp program.

as to whether you should switch to inland, no one can say for sure how quickly the new policy actually will be and if applicants will actually receive the owp in the 4 months stated by CIC. the only way to know right now is to wait and see how the new pilot program progresses. the last thing anyone will want to do is get stuck in inland processing hell. right now i believe new dehli is completing applications in 8-10 months. whether you take the risk to get an owp in 4 months is your decision. i find it hard to believe anyone is going to be able to give you accurate advice since no one KNOWS how long it will actually take to process the owp. CIC says many things, and until we actually see applicants receiving owp in 4 months, no one can assume the project is going to go as planned. I am not sure anyone will know anything by february either. my guess, the earliest anyone will know the pilot program happens as planned is march 22, which is 4 months from the date CIC decided to release the program, an the first set of applicants were deemed eligible.

also, something else to keep in mind if you are filling out forms now and you don't intend to submit the application until February. The application forms are regulary updated, and your application can/will be sent back because of outdated forms. you will want to make sure before you send in the complete application that you double check the forms have not been updated.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
rhcohen2014 said:
just an FYI: your wife does NOT have to leave canada once she enters as a visitor. she can simply extend her stay as a visitor and stay for the duration of the process. the only reason she would need to return to india is if an interview is called and to collect her belongings. it is quite common for PR applicants to receive 12+ month extensions, and pr applicants are rarely denied extensions. she will not be able to work since she is a visitor, and will not be eligible for the new owp program.

as to whether you should switch to inland, no one can say for sure how quickly the new policy actually will be and if applicants will actually receive the owp in the 4 months stated by CIC. the only way to know right now is to wait and see how the new pilot program progresses. the last thing anyone will want to do is get stuck in inland processing hell. right now i believe new dehli is completing applications in 8-10 months. whether you take the risk to get an owp in 4 months is your decision. i find it hard to believe anyone is going to be able to give you accurate advice since no one KNOWS how long it will actually take to process the owp. CIC says many things, and until we actually see applicants receiving owp in 4 months, no one can assume the project is going to go as planned. I am not sure anyone will know anything by february either. my guess, the earliest anyone will know the pilot program happens as planned is march 22, which is 4 months from the date CIC decided to release the program, an the first set of applicants were deemed eligible.

also, something else to keep in mind if you are filling out forms now and you don't intend to submit the application until February. The application forms are regularly updated, and your application can/will be sent back because of outdated forms. you will want to make sure before you send in the complete application that you double check the forms have not been updated.
Hi rhcohen2014 - Thanks for your quick response. You have stated that " and will not be eligible for the new owp program", why?
Also, I have taken the screenshot of the current list of forms and will compare it before I submit the application in early March 2015 to ensure that no outdated form is submitted.

Cheers...!!!

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
vermas said:
Hi rhcohen2014 - Thanks for your quick response. You have stated that " and will not be eligible for the new owp program", why?
Also, I have taken the screenshot of the current list of forms and will compare it before I submit the application in early March 2015 to ensure that no outdated form is submitted.

Cheers...!!!
You wouldn't be eligible if you apply OUTLAND and your wife enters Canada as a visitor, the OWP is only applicable to INLAND applications.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
brucem said:
You wouldn't be eligible if you apply OUTLAND and your wife enters Canada as a visitor, the OWP is only applicable to INLAND applications.
I am saying if we apply INLAND !!

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
vermas said:
I am saying if we apply INLAND !!
If you change your application and apply inland then you can include the application for the OWP but as rhcohen said nobody knows how this will pan out so its really up to you which way to go, unfortunately nobody can give you a definite answer at the moment.

anvar21

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guy
I need some advice how to bring my spouse and my daughter.
I received Manitoba Nomination today, now i want to bring my dependents as soon as possible if I can.
I am currently working in Manitoba as a farm supervisor. I can apply for PR but I don't wanna wait another 10-12 months. As I heard if I have nomination my dependents has more chance to get visa. My question is which way has better chance to get visa TRV( Temporary resident visa) or SOWP (Spousal Open Work permit)?
What kind of supporting documents do we have to submit?
Any advice highly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance