+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

ckwilson93

Jul 19, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This has seriously got to be the most unfair and frustrating thing I've ever had to experience.
We applied for PR in 2013. Two years ago. We were advised NOT to send our OWP application with the complete package, so we didn't.
I sent my husbands OWP on Dec 22, 2014 and it was received the next day.

Why on earth are people who have applied for PR and OWP together, only a few months ago, already getting their work permits? We've been waiting for years! :mad:

2013CJF

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
09-01-2014
File Transfer...
01-02-2014
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015
ckwilson93 said:
This has seriously got to be the most unfair and frustrating thing I've ever had to experience.
We applied for PR in 2013. Two years ago. We were advised NOT to send our OWP application with the complete package, so we didn't.
I sent my husbands OWP on Dec 22, 2014 and it was received the next day.

Why on earth are people who have applied for PR and OWP together, only a few months ago, already getting their work permits? We've been waiting for years! :mad:
Same with us!!! We applied for PR in Dec 2013, and sent the OWP in Feb 2014. And we're still waiting!!! All CIC told me is that it's because we sent it in separately so we're being looked at AFTER those that sent the applications together. I feel your frustration

ckwilson93

Jul 19, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2013CJF said:
Same with us!!! We applied for PR in Dec 2013, and sent the OWP in Feb 2014. And we're still waiting!!! All CIC told me is that it's because we sent it in separately so we're being looked at AFTER those that sent the applications together. I feel your frustration
This is pretty much all we have to look forward to in the near future, and it feels like it's going to be pushed back longer than the four month timeline.
You know... Kinda like, when we applied, they said six months. Now it's seventeen? Yeah exactly.

Waited a year, only to be given the opportunity to.. Wait months and months more on top of that.

Dilworth

Jan 20, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to this site and have to admit its a fantastic site....

Anyways, I have submitted my inland spousal application on February 27, 2015 along with the open work permit application. At the time of submitting my application, I was told that the fee for the OWP was $155. However, i was browsing the CIC website today and noticed that it says effective February 21, 2015, applicants that are applying for OWP are obliged to pay $100 more besides $155.

My question, does this($100) apply to the pilot program as well and if so will the CIC going to return my application package ? if so how long will it take them to return my OWP package as my status is expiring at the end of this month.

Thank You

birdboy008

Feb 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
Hi everyone! 2 questions:

1) I as wondering if any more OWPs were received to those applying SEPARATELY and AFTER the pilot program began?

2) People in that situation, do you receive any confirmations from CIC during the process or did your permit just arrive one day? What can I expect to hear as they process my application?

I'm hoping for MY OWP ASAP! It couldn't come any faster. I debated sending my OWP app with my PR app back in June 2014 but opted to wait with the hopes of saving the money (wow, $155) in the case of full approval at AIP (like so many others). If I had just sent the damn thing with my PR app, I could be working right now!!! Still, I am extremely grateful for the pilot program. I do appreciate the CIC's decision to do this. I just wish I knew about it on December 21st rather than February! I applied the same day that I found out about it, thankfully I am still in-status.

birdboy008

Feb 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
birdboy008 said:
I as wondering if any more OWPs were received to those applying SEPARATELY and AFTER the pilot program began?
I will take the lack of responses as a "no, not yet."

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
We should seek help from media? And tell them the delays in OWP...Ur thoughts...

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-spousal-application-delays-petitioning-to-un-human-rights-possible-t275525.0.html;msg4144012#msg4144012

birdboy008

Feb 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
vik999 said:
We should seek help from media? And tell them the delays in OWP...Ur thoughts...
I'm inclined to just wait, it's only been 3 months since the pilot program began. They appear to have already processed all of the "sent with application" people already since I know of one person (just one!) on this forum who did get their OWP that applied separately. I was fishing for any other people who may have already got theirs that applied separately. From the inland apps timeline:
  • sent OWP on Dec 30, 2014
  • received OWP on Mar 11, 2015
  • approx processing time = 2.5 months

Given that they may have already worked through the "sent with" OWP applications in 2.5 months or so. Perhaps the pile of our "sent separately" apps will go fast too. Also, the program announcement states that "new applicants should receive their OWPs in four months or less. Perhaps, the media can help after the four month mark?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
vik999 said:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-spousal-application-delays-petitioning-to-un-human-rights-possible-t275525.0.html;msg4144012#msg4144012
TECHNICALLY, there has not been a delay in the owp program. The site says four months, correct? that means it still too early for anyone to decide if there are delays. a) it's not 4 months since the start date of the program and b) it is unconfirmed whether "4 months" starts when the application is submitted or when CIC acknowledges receipt of the application. those are 2 different timelines.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
TECHNICALLY, there has not been a delay in the owp program. The site says four months, correct? that means it still too early for anyone to decide if there are delays. a) it's not 4 months since the start date of the program and b) it is unconfirmed whether "4 months" starts when the application is submitted or when CIC acknowledges receipt of the application. those are 2 different timelines.
Agreed.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
rhcohen2014 said:
Agree for many applicants it is 3rd month, CIC has one more month..lets see if they can process all applicants..Which I really doubt.. thousands of appplicants are left for last month!!. But the point is the treatment CIC is doing with applicants... moreover the CIC dept is like black box... applicants dont know what is happening... Seriously this is not fair treatment! in this democratic society.

RoySka

Mar 19, 2015
Hello.
I'm new on this site.
My wife is in Canada with me. We sent her application (sponspor program) on June 2014. We just have been receive one notification from cic that they receive her application. We felt happy with the news about this new pilot program. We sent the application for her open work permit on January 8th, 2015 but we have not receive any news from the cic. We are desperate because she can't do anything, she feels like a prisoner.
Anyone here know something about this program?

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RoySka said:
Hello.
I'm new on this site.
My wife is in Canada with me. We sent her application (sponspor program) on June 2014. We just have been receive one notification from cic that they receive her application. We felt happy with the news about this new pilot program. We sent the application for her open work permit on January 8th, 2015 but we have not receive any news from the cic. We are desperate because she can't do anything, she feels like a prisoner.
Anyone here know something about this program?

Thanks
Did your wife still have legal status in Canada when CIC received the OWP? If she DID, she will get the OWP soon. If she did NOT have legal status...she will not qualify for the pilot OWP and would need to wait until she has AIP (which would be ~ December, at this rate) to qualify for the regular OWP.

Many people assume that simply submitting an Inland application alone, gives the applicant `implied status', but it does NOT.

Katerina07

Feb 14, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-04-2015
AOR Received.
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Guys,
If im applying for a OWP under the pilot program, but I am on a work visa right now that expires in october 2015,
In the section "Details on intended work in Canada", I just seclect an Open Work Permit, and write N/A at "Details of my prospective employer", correct?
I mean, I will still probably be working the same job after receiving OWP.
Should I leave it blank?

yeehaw

Mar 13, 2015
What are the fees for the OWP? I have heard two different amounts on here? One said 100.00 the other said 155.00 and someone else said 255.00 that you send with application that is non refundable.

Is there a link where it says the cost.

Thanks