+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

susana

Nov 4, 2008
Jamesdavid3 said:
I have my OWP under the pilot project, March 2014 applicant
Of course you did ! Congratulations ! Living proof that applying to change conditions wirh a IEC work permit gives you implied status and you can continue working as per the conditions of your previous wp.

FINALLY !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
susana said:
Of course you did ! Congratulations ! Living proof that applying to change conditions wirh a IEC work permit gives you implied status and you can continue working as per the conditions of your previous wp.

FINALLY !
Get your facts straight. CIC has no idea that he has continued to work without authorization, so this is IN NO WAY your "living proof".

susana

Nov 4, 2008
canuck_in_uk said:
Get your facts straight. CIC has no idea that he has continued to work without authorization, so this is IN NO WAY your "living proof".

No need to get mad ! I'm aware of his whole situation and it is clear you guys don't like him, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else as neither of us know if CIC knows if he continued working or not. I know that an IEC/PWGP cannot be extended, but I also know BY EXPERIENCE that you can Apply "to change" NOT to Extend the conditions of your stay and get granted implied status. The point is he "never" lost his status and he got his owp while many predicted he was not going to get it.

He will eventually attend his landing interview and he cannot hide the fact he was working, by then, if he gets approved or not we will know who was right or wrong.

carolinaf

Jan 26, 2015
vinotintazo said:
Hi Guys,

We're submitting application between today and the 9th.

My wife's Visitor's Status Expires in Feb 10th.

as long as we send the PR & OWP before the 10th, we don't have to worry about her status right? -She will get implied Status and they will process both PR and OWP (one-year-pilot).

I'm just confused as it states that to qualify for the One Year Pilot OWP, you need to have a valid status.
Hi, I just want to tell you about my experience, I was in a similar situation like yours and our lawyer strongly recommended to apply for a extension of my visit so I would not have problems in the future. I know some people have replied it is not necessary and maybe they are right but just to be safe and have some peace of mind, I think you should extend your wife's stay. Im not sure, but i think I read a comment before saying somebody didnt extend their stay so they were not eligible for OWP since they lost the status, just for a couple of days. Anyway, whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. Im still waiting for my OWP and hoping it doesnt take too long. Good luck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
susana said:
No need to get mad ! I'm aware of his whole situation and it is clear you guys don't like him, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else as neither of us know if CIC knows if he continued working or not. I know that an IEC/PWGP cannot be extended, but I also know BY EXPERIENCE that you can Apply "to change" NOT to Extend the conditions of your stay and get granted implied status. The point is he "never" lost his status and he got his owp while many predicted he was not going to get it.

He will eventually attend his landing interview and he cannot hide the fact he was working, by then, if he gets approved or not we will know who was right or wrong.
That wasn't mad. I was simply clarifying the situation for you. No need to downvote just because someone pointed out you were wrong ::).

Also, if you know his situation, you know that his app was returned and he was out of status; to put this in other words, he LOST his status in Canada. He (apparently) submitted an app for restoration and continued working while waiting for restoration, which is not allowed.

Of course he can hide the fact the he was working and I'm sure he will. Regardless, he's never going to admit anything otherwise on this forum. As others have said, no one really knows if he actually received an OWP or is simply saying so to try and save face.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
susana said:
I know that an IEC/PWGP cannot be extended, but I also know BY EXPERIENCE that you can Apply "to change" NOT to Extend the conditions of your stay and get granted implied status.
When you get implied status with an IEC visa, you get implied VISITOR status. You don't get implied work status. Since IEC is non-extendable, you must stop working once IEC is expired no matter if you've submitted an inland app or not. This has been confirmed by lawyers communications with CIC, by people getting caught by CIC working on assumed implied status when in fact there was none, and it was even on an episode of Border Security where CBSA caught someone working under assumed implied status and told the applicant they should not have been working.

However despite all this, CIC does not aggressively go search for people working on expired IEC. IEC and SIN departments are separate from CIC so they don't often communicate. So even though many people are unintentionally working illegally, only very few are found out. But that doesn't make it any less illegal and doesn't make the consequences any less severe if you are one of the unlucky ones caught, of which we've seen a few people's experiences.

2013CJF

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
09-01-2014
File Transfer...
01-02-2014
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015
Has the transfer of files from CPC- Vegriville to CPC-Mississauga caused a mix up? It could explain why some files from Feb-March are being ignored...

vinotintazo

Star Member
Jul 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2015
Doc's Request.
May 2, 2015 (Forms with Typos)
AOR Received.
Mar 29, 2015 OWP: April 27, 2015
Med's Done....
Nov 9, 2014 (Upfront)
Interview........
SA: April 12, 2016 AIP: April 12, 2016 DM: April 12, 2016 Interview: Waived
LANDED..........
May 3, 2016
carolinaf said:
Hi, I just want to tell you about my experience, I was in a similar situation like yours and our lawyer strongly recommended to apply for a extension of my visit so I would not have problems in the future. I know some people have replied it is not necessary and maybe they are right but just to be safe and have some peace of mind, I think you should extend your wife's stay. Im not sure, but i think I read a comment before saying somebody didnt extend their stay so they were not eligible for OWP since they lost the status, just for a couple of days. Anyway, whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. Im still waiting for my OWP and hoping it doesnt take too long. Good luck
Thanks for your reply

call4damie

Mar 21, 2011
one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

hi everyone,
Cic got me so upset this evening.
my work permit was returned for reason insufficient funds.
they attached the receipt of $150 dollars i paid for my dependent son under 19 yeas old and left the $155 receipt paid for the OWP with the main application.

I plan to call them tomorrow to inform them that i paid the correct fee of $155 and send the application back tomorrow with copies of all the receipts i paid.

its so annoying.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
2013CJF said:
Has the transfer of files from CPC- Vegriville to CPC-Mississauga caused a mix up? It could explain why some files from Feb-March are being ignored...
I don't believe so. Mine was transferred and I got my OWP last month. They say that they are not doing it in any particular order, so I guess Feb-March applicants just happen to be the unlucky ones :(

holly1984

Feb 10, 2015
Hi there knowledgeable friends,

I applied for a permanent residency (am being sponsored) in March 2013. At the time I didn't know to send an OWP with my application and I didn't receive implied status. I have been in Canada since then, unable to work, with visitor visa after visitor visa. I applied for an OWP separately to my application, but it was denied back in March

This new pilot is excellent for me. I sent off for an open work permit five weeks ago, tracking the receipt tells me it was received in Vegreville four weeks ago. I have heard nothing so far and am getting super worried! I am going to ring them tonight. Has anyone got any advice for me please and thank you??

Thanks Holly :D

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
holly1984 said:
Hi there knowledgeable friends,

I applied for a permanent residency (am being sponsored) in March 2013. At the time I didn't know to send an OWP with my application and I didn't receive implied status. I have been in Canada since then, unable to work, with visitor visa after visitor visa. I applied for an OWP separately to my application, but it was denied back in March

This new pilot is excellent for me. I sent off for an open work permit five weeks ago, tracking the receipt tells me it was received in Vegreville four weeks ago. I have heard nothing so far and am getting super worried! I am going to ring them tonight. Has anyone got any advice for me please and thank you??

Thanks Holly :D
Since you have maintained your visitor status throughout the process (correct?), you should receive the OWP anytime within the next 12 weeks +/-

CIC had indicated that these would take ~ 4 months to process and receive.

2013CJF

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
09-01-2014
File Transfer...
01-02-2014
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015
28january said:
I don't believe so. Mine was transferred and I got my OWP last month. They say that they are not doing it in any particular order, so I guess Feb-March applicants just happen to be the unlucky ones :(
:'( I guess we are the unlucky ones. Our OWP application was sent Feb.2014, but our PR file was sent Dec.2013. CIC has no answer other than "we're processing it, it may take up to 4 months" this is depressing :(

holly1984

Feb 10, 2015
Ponga said:
Since you have maintained your visitor status throughout the process (correct?), you should receive the OWP anytime within the next 12 weeks +/-

CIC had indicated that these would take ~ 4 months to process and receive.
Thank you Ponga, I just realised I made a mistake in my first post, I actually applied in March 2014, not March 2013. I have read all of the comments in this thread. As far as I can tell:

People who applied for their pr during feb and March are finding it a longer wait to get their owp? Conjectured to be because of the vegreville to mississaugua changes?

Because I applied for my owp separately to my pr (the owp was applied for in Jan 15 and the pr in March 14) my case will be more slowly processed because those people who were clever enough to send off or and owp applications at the same time were automatically processed?

But because I received my aor way back in August 14 I should still receive priority processing and that it should still take less than four months to be processed. I am relieved, at least, that I seem to have sent off the same forms as ours on here.

I am keen to get this sorted as I am going back to England in March (hopefully) as I haven't seen my family for over a year and I am really struggling with not being able to see my baby nephews grow etc. I know there is a risk involved, but it is calculated - this last year has been raw. I want to have my owp in place then, just to have additional paperwork in place, this was advised to me by a cic rep, I am aware they aren't infallible but this guy actually seemed pretty great. :eek:

I tried to contact cic earlier, but was too late at 4:45 and they would not take my call. I guess they close at 5.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
holly1984 said:
Thank you Ponga, I just realised I made a mistake in my first post, I actually applied in March 2014, not March 2013. I have read all of the comments in this thread. As far as I can tell:

People who applied for their pr during feb and March are finding it a longer wait to get their owp? Conjectured to be because of the vegreville to mississaugua changes?

Because I applied for my owp separately to my pr (the owp was applied for in Jan 15 and the pr in March 14) my case will be more slowly processed because those people who were clever enough to send off or and owp applications at the same time were automatically processed?

But because I received my aor way back in August 14 I should still receive priority processing and that it should still take less than four months to be processed. I am relieved, at least, that I seem to have sent off the same forms as ours on here.

I am keen to get this sorted as I am going back to England in March (hopefully) as I haven't seen my family for over a year and I am really struggling with not being able to see my baby nephews grow etc. I know there is a risk involved, but it is calculated - this last year has been raw. I want to have my owp in place then, just to have additional paperwork in place, this was advised to me by a cic rep, I am aware they aren't infallible but this guy actually seemed pretty great. :eek:

I tried to contact cic earlier, but was too late at 4:45 and they would not take my call. I guess they close at 5.
Well, it really is a guessing game trying to decipher the method that CIC is using to issue these pilot OWPs. Since you only submitted your OWP application a few weeks ago, I doubt that it will arrive before you leave, since CIC has stated that they will try to process these within 4 months (of receiving them, which in your case, could be ~ May.