+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP - IELTS expired before submitting application

m_faisal

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Hi team,
I am new to this forum.
Usually I don't need to post as I get answers to my questions from the posts made by fellow members.
This time it is different. Please help.

IELTS taken : 3rd March, 2019
Results came : 21st April, 2019 (eor delayed it)
OINP NOI received : 16th Feb, 2021 (tech draw 453+)
Human capital stream : 45 calendar days
CRS score: 458

I didn't realize oinp considers test taken date not the result date. While collecting documents I passed 3rd March and it was on 9th I realized that my ielts is no more valid for OINP. However, gladly my EE profile is still valid.
I booked CD IELTS for 20th March.

My questions;
1- if I get less score on this attempt can I still submit my application with this IELTS then retake the test and try to get the required score then write an email to them to update the IELTS in oinp application?

2- somehow I cannot submit application before deadline, will my profile be considered for next draws by Ontario?
(even If the same score is maintained)
Do I need to write them any email if this happens?

Please guide!!

mrsamcan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hi team,
I am new to this forum.
Usually I don't need to post as I get answers to my questions from the posts made by fellow members.

I didn't realize oinp considers test taken date not the result date. While collecting documents I passed 3rd March and it was on 9th I realized that my ielts is no more valid for OINP. However, gladly my EE profile is still valid.

My questions;
1- if I get less score on this attempt can I still submit my application with this IELTS then retake the test and try to get the required score then write an email to them to update the IELTS in oinp application?

2- somehow I cannot submit application before deadline, will my profile be considered for next draws by Ontario?

Please guide!!
Hi Faisal,

I would like to make few points. Not an expert, my two cents.

1. As per the OINP document checklist, the language test results should be valid BEFORE submitting the application. Meaning you could have submitted application before 3rd of March.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp-document-checklists/ontarios-express-entry-human-capital-priorities-stream-applicant-checklist#section-5
Language tests results
To prove that you have the mandatory language skills, scan and upload a copy of your English or French language test results with your application. The test must have been taken within the two years prior submitting your application.

2. As per OINP requirement is CLB 7. So if you have CLB 7 you can submit the application.

For English tests (must have CLB 7 or above in all language abilities), we accept:
  • International English Language Testing (IELTS) – we only accept the General Training test
Also, you should have valid EE profile as per OINP requirement. Without IELTS even that is not valid.

3. You cannot submit the application now. However do not lose hope.

You can consider below:

1. Computerized test at IDP give results within 5 days and slots are open almost every day. You still have 15 days. (1st April is deadline). Get at least CLB 7.
2. If you get CLB 9/10 you are still above CRS range of 453. So you are good. Update IELTS on IRCC profile and submit application.
3. if you get CLB 7, lesser than previous IELTS, submit application on OINP. In there mention CRS as 458. Application goes to Submitted state. As per other cases it takes almost a month to get the application status from Submitted to Assessment. Clear IELTS within that to get your score above 453. Send TRF to Ontario over email also updated score.
4. If you do not get CLB 7, take holiday from whatever you are doing study only IELTS and write exam.
5. Just do not miss this opportunity to submit.

Clock is ticking, good luck.

Reactions: m_faisal

HarrisRyans

Mar 1, 2021
Hi team,
I am new to this forum.

My questions;

2- somehow I cannot submit an application before deadline, will my profile be considered for next draws by Ontario?

Please guide!!
Your language test results must be valid (written in the last two years) when you submit your application for permanent residence. If they expire, you should retake the test and provide us with valid results. Otherwise, your application will be rejected as incomplete or may be refused.

m_faisal

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Hi Faisal,

1. As per the OINP document checklist, the language test results should be valid BEFORE submitting the application. Meaning you could have submitted application before 3rd of March.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp-document-checklists/ontarios-express-entry-human-capital-priorities-stream-applicant-checklist#section-5
Language tests results
To prove that you have the mandatory language skills, scan and upload a copy of your English or French language test results with your application. The test must have been taken within the two years prior submitting your application.

2. As per OINP requirement is CLB 7. So if you have CLB 7 you can submit the application.

For English tests (must have CLB 7 or above in all language abilities), we accept:
  • International English Language Testing (IELTS) – we only accept the General Training test
Also, you should have valid EE profile as per OINP requirement. Without IELTS even that is not valid.

You can consider below:

1. Computerized test at IDP give results within 5 days and slots are open almost every day. You still have 15 days. (1st April is deadline). Get at least CLB 7.
2. If you get CLB 9/10 you are still above CRS range of 453. So you are good. Update IELTS on IRCC profile and submit application.
3. if you get CLB 7, lesser than previous IELTS, submit application on OINP. In there mention CRS as 458. Application goes to Submitted state. As per other cases it takes almost a month to get the application status from Submitted to Assessment. Clear IELTS within that to get your score above 453. Send TRF to Ontario over email also updated score.
4. If you do not get CLB 7, take holiday from whatever you are doing study only IELTS and write exam.

Thank you so much mate.

HarrisRyans

Mar 1, 2021
Hi Faisal,

Language tests results

You can consider below:

my prepaid center
Thanks for sharing.I found a lot of interesting information here. A really good post, very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one.

m_faisal

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Hi Faisal,

Language tests results

You can consider below:

I am turning up for the IELTS on 19th for speaking while for LRW on 20th Mar.
I hope and pray that I'll retain my current score and get to submit my application around 27,28 March.

Reactions: mrsamcan

sussie54

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Hi team,
I am new to this forum.

My questions;

Please guide!!
Hello Bro,

I got my NOI for OINP - Human Capital Priorities Tech Draw on Feb 16, 2021. I submitted my application today March 19, 2021. CRS score : 460
NOC: 2147.

I have provided all the documents as per the requirements. However, I also have a problem like you with IELTS expiration which is due on March 23, 2021. Though My IELTS is valid on NOI date and OINP Application submission date, it is going to expire just 4 days after OINP application submission and payment.

I have taken an exam on March 14 (results announced today March 19), but unfortunately I could not get my past score of CLB 9 in Writing which missed by 0.5 and it reduced to CLB 8, other sections are Listening - CLB 10, Reading - CLB 10 and Speaking - CLB 9 (all are same as previous IELTS result) , if i have to update this result now to keep my Express Entry profile active then score drops significantly to 403.

I have submitted an Letter of Explanation today , mentioning I have my IELTs valid till date for OINP and I will update my EE profile once new IELTS is done to keep my EE profile active. (did not mention about the today's result which I have now).

As per OINP at the time of submission of application, IELTS should not be more than 2 years old which is met in my case.

You could have submitted before March 3rd in your case. However, now also you can take a computer based test and score whatever scores you can , and write a Letter of explanation stating your score on NOI date was valid and inform that application submission got delayed as documents collection was slow due to most people working from home. Mention, IELTS results which you get after the previous IELTS expiry, state your new express entry profile number incase your old profile became ineligible. Submit OINP application then. If you get same scores, it will be great, else before they process , you can submit another result.

All the best

m_faisal

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Hello Bro,

I got my NOI for OINP - Human Capital Priorities Tech Draw on Feb 16, 2021. I submitted my application today March 19, 2021. CRS score : 460
NOC: 2147.

I have provided all the documents as per the requirements. However, I also have a problem like you with IELTS expiration which is due on March 23, 2021. Though My IELTS is valid on NOI date and OINP Application submission date, it is going to expire just 4 days after OINP application submission and payment.

I have taken an exam on March 14 (results announced today March 19), but unfortunately I could not get my past score of CLB 9 in Writing which missed by 0.5 and it reduced to CLB 8, other sections are Listening - CLB 10, Reading - CLB 10 and Speaking - CLB 9 (all are same as previous IELTS result) , if i have to update this result now to keep my Express Entry profile active then score drops significantly to 403.

I have submitted an Letter of Explanation today , mentioning I have my IELTs valid till date for OINP and I will update my EE profile once new IELTS is done to keep my EE profile active. (did not mention about the today's result which I have now).

As per OINP at the time of submission of application, IELTS should not be more than 2 years old which is met in my case.

You could have submitted before March 3rd in your case. However, now also you can take a computer based test and score whatever scores you can , and write a Letter of explanation stating your score on NOI date was valid and inform that application submission got delayed as documents collection was slow due to most people working from home. Mention, IELTS results which you get after the previous IELTS expiry, state your new express entry profile number incase your old profile became ineligible. Submit OINP application then. If you get same scores, it will be great, else before they process , you can submit another result.

All the best
Hi there, thank you very much for sharing your case.

First of all, sorry to hear that your IELTS score got dropped to 403!
I sat in IELTS on 19th for Speaking and 20th for LRW. I am expecting my results to come between 22-24/25th March. I really pray and hope that I get to retain the score of 458 or anything above 454 so my NOI stays valid and so my EE Profile.

Please answer;
1- How did you submit your IELTS result, I mean a physical copy of the TRF is required, right? Did you receive it on 19th March?
2- Now, you need to update your new IELTS to your EE profile before 23rd March else it will become ineligible, which will bring your CRS score to 403. Have you registered to retake the test? (You should update your EE profile with new IELTS else your EE profile will expire, and NOI will become invalid as well, as far as I know).

Kindly guide.

EDIT:
I am re-appearing in IELTS on 27th. I would suggest you do the same. to get the best score asap, and then write them to use the best score. Other members pointed out already that letting them process expired IELTS resulted in rejection.

I really wish and pray that we both get through this process successfully without facing any rejection, Ameen.

Last edited:

sussie54

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Hi there, thank you very much for sharing your case.

First of all, sorry to hear that your IELTS score got dropped to 403!
I sat in IELTS on 19th for Speaking and 20th for LRW. I am expecting my results to come between 22-24/25th March. I really pray and hope that I get to retain the score of 458 or anything above 454 so my NOI stays valid and so my EE Profile.

Please answer;
1- How did you submit your IELTS result, I mean a physical copy of the TRF is required, right? Did you receive it on 19th March?
2- Now, you need to update your new IELTS to your EE profile before 23rd March else it will become ineligible, which will bring your CRS score to 403. Have you registered to retake the test? (You should update your EE profile with new IELTS else your EE profile will expire, and NOI will become invalid as well, as far as I know).

Kindly guide.

EDIT:
I am re-appearing in IELTS on 27th. I would suggest you do the same. to get the best score asap, and then write them to use the best score. Other members pointed out already that letting them process expired IELTS resulted in rejection.

I really wish and pray that we both get through this process successfully without facing any rejection, Ameen.
Hi,

In my case, my 2019 IELTS is valid till 03/23/2021, I submitted my application on 19/03/2021. So as per the NOI and OINP submission date my score is 460.
I anticipated this problem of expiry earlier when I received NOI on Feb 16th 2021, so I wanted to book my test and get new results to update my EE profile as well as new results to OINP. However, I was disappointed to received a 0.5 lesser in Writing section, I received my scores March 19th but yet to get TRF. I just updated my express entry profile with my new scores to keep my EE profile Active and will not turn ineligible just because I scored less now.
However, it's up to OINP to decide if they want to nominate with my old scores which were valid at the time of application submission date or to ask for new results that match my old one. So I anticipating they may ask and I am reappearing soon to get my score to keep CRS at same 460 level. Meanwhile, my express entry profile stays active with March 19 result and score will be 403.

To OINP , I just sent my 2019 TRF which was still valid as on the date of my submission of application and then an LOE explaining I will write new IELTS and update EE profile soon. They may see my LoE and take a call to ask for new IELTS or they may even think anyways he submitted before IELTS expiry and nominate too, its totally up to how they want to evaluate. So to be safe, I want to get a result ASAP to maintain my CRS.

Thanks

m_faisal

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Hi,

In my case, my 2019 IELTS is valid till 03/23/2021, I submitted my application on 19/03/2021. So as per the NOI and OINP submission date my score is 460.
I anticipated this problem of expiry earlier when I received NOI on Feb 16th 2021, so I wanted to book my test and get new results to update my EE profile as well as new results to OINP. However, I was disappointed to received a 0.5 lesser in Writing section, I received my scores March 19th but yet to get TRF. I just updated my express entry profile with my new scores to keep my EE profile Active and will not turn ineligible just because I scored less now.
However, it's up to OINP to decide if they want to nominate with my old scores which were valid at the time of application submission date or to ask for new results that match my old one. So I anticipating they may ask and I am reappearing soon to get my score to keep CRS at same 460 level. Meanwhile, my express entry profile stays active with March 19 result and score will be 403.

To OINP , I just sent my 2019 TRF which was still valid as on the date of my submission of application and then an LOE explaining I will write new IELTS and update EE profile soon. They may see my LoE and take a call to ask for new IELTS or they may even think anyways he submitted before IELTS expiry and nominate too, its totally up to how they want to evaluate. So to be safe, I want to get a result ASAP to maintain my CRS.

Thanks
Yeah, I also thought the same way and registered for another test. However, I won't be able to use its result while submitting the application as I am planning to submit it as soon as I will receive the result of the current IELTS.
Given that I am already in my test preparation phase, I just need to fix certain things in my writing and speaking. I hope we will get to maintain our CRS scores on which we received NOI from Ontario.

Cheers.

sussie54

Star Member
Jul 29, 2016
Yeah, I also thought the same way and registered for another test. However, I won't be able to use its result while submitting the application as I am planning to submit it as soon as I will receive the result of the current IELTS.
Given that I am already in my test preparation phase, I just need to fix certain things in my writing and speaking. I hope we will get to maintain our CRS scores on which we received NOI from Ontario.

Cheers.
How was your exam? was it Computer Delivered IELTS? What were your topics on Writing and Speaking?
Hope you did great :)

Thanks

m_faisal

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
How was your exam? was it Computer Delivered IELTS? What were your topics on Writing and Speaking?
Hope you did great :)

Thanks
Hey mate, I got my result. Thanks for your wishes, but I botched it, I got 6.5 in writing and it brought the overall score to 411!!

Last edited: