Nomination.....
11-12-2019
AOR Received.
18-02-2020
Med's Done....
13-01-2021
LANDED..........
02-08-2020
why she needs to link WP to compay , open WP means its not linked to any company.
This gets me to another question. I think we already discussed that we would NOT get a open work permit via the OINP Job Offer PNP, even with valid AoR of PR. Now, how true is this statement of Open WP? Can we apply for a bridging open Work Permit with an AoR?

Asking because I "may" get my AoR before I get my first work permit. Also, anyone here knows when do we get the work permit (Indian national)? Is it stamped in passport? Or given at port of entry. If given at port of entry, is it a card or just a paper? Probably you guys are different than me, in the sense that all of you guys are inline and may not know the answer to this particular question.

Last edited:

phanikiran.kara

Dec 12, 2018
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
03-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-12-2019
AOR Received.
18-02-2020
Med's Done....
13-01-2021
LANDED..........
02-08-2020
so in my case i have a WP linked to company after i get nomination when the WP expires i need to do this correct to get an Open WP?
You definitely need to file PR and get an AoR, not just nomination, to apply for open work permit. Now, even with AoR, can we actually apply for bridging open work permit under OINP Employer offer scheme is an unanswered question I have from day 1. Open WP directly contradicts the conditions of nomination. But again, the nomination is meant for filing PR, which we have already filed. Its not the candidate's fault, per-say, if CIC takes 2 years to issue PR.

Last edited:

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019
This gets me to another question. I think we already discussed that we would NOT get a open work permit via the OINP Job Offer PNP, even with valid AoR of PR. Now, how true is this statement of Open WP? Can we apply for a bridging open Work Permit with an AoR?

Asking because I "may" get my AoR before I get my first work permit. Also, anyone here knows when do we get the work permit (Indian national)? Is it stamped in passport? Or given at port of entry. If given at port of entry, is it a card or just a paper? Probably you guys are different than me, in the sense that all of you guys are inline and may not know the answer to this particular question.

The purpose of WP support letter post ONIP nomination is that Candidate can apply for work permit (to maintain a legal status until PR is processed). This WP will be valid for at least 2 years since paper based PR is a long process. For BOWP, IRCC has mentioned a note: If you applied through the Provincial Nominee Program and have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination, you can’t get a bridging open work permit.

If you want to come to Canada based on approved WP:
If your WP is approved while you are outside Canada, at POE, border agent will print original WP for you. Before your travel to Canada, What you get stamped in your passport is a WP visa and TRV sticker. (WP visa sticker can not be used for travel, only TRV) When PR is in process, candidate must maintain the valid status if physically available in Canada.

pdrlins

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
The purpose of WP support letter post ONIP nomination is that Candidate can apply for work permit (to maintain a legal status until PR is processed). This WP will be valid for at least 2 years since paper based PR is a long process. For BOWP, IRCC has mentioned a note: If you applied through the Provincial Nominee Program and have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination, you can’t get a bridging open work permit.

If you want to come to Canada based on approved WP:
If your WP is approved while you are outside Canada, at POE, border agent will print original WP for you. Before your travel to Canada, What you get stamped in your passport is a WP visa and TRV sticker. (WP visa sticker can not be used for travel, only TRV) When PR is in process, candidate must maintain the valid status if physically available in Canada.
Very very good explanation, I love it. So, I come to Canada with OWP and here the company where I'm working is helping me to apply for nomination, when I get my nomination I can apply just to extend my open work permit using the bridge, right?

Adding a piece of information:
If my open work permit will finish before I get the pr can I apply fo the bridge one?

Thank you again.

chivinas

Apr 24, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
31-10-2019
AOR Received.
30-01-2020
Very very good explanation, I love it. So, I come to Canada with OWP and here the company where I'm working is helping me to apply for nomination, when I get my nomination I can apply just to extend my open work permit using the bridge, right?

If my open work permit will finish before I get the pr can I apply fo the bridge one?

Thank you again.
I am exactly in the same situation as you, but my OWP expires on March 2022, so I expect to have PR before that!

kumar143

Oct 8, 2019
You definitely need to file PR and get an AoR, not just nomination, to apply for open work permit. Now, even with AoR, can we actually apply for bridging open work permit under OINP Employer offer scheme is an unanswered question I have from day 1. Open WP directly contradicts the conditions of nomination. But again, the nomination is meant for filing PR, which we have already filed. Its not the candidate's fault, per-say, if CIC takes 2 years to issue PR.
its not fault yes .. but the agreement...person has to wait for getting the PR from the country right .. which is better in Canada when compared to USA .. which takes forever :rolleyes:

andrecarlos

Star Member
Dec 31, 2019
I am exactly in the same situation as you, but my OWP expires on March 2022, so I expect to have PR before that!
Mine will expire on nov/2020. So, for sure that I will need to apply. Also as my understandings, I will not be able to apply to the Bridge Work Permit. I will need to apply to the Closed Work Permit and my company will need to pay this tax to the government.

I said to them that the process wouldn't involve costs... But now I will need to return to the HR and talk again...

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019

Thank you again.
As far as I know, OP are of 2 types unrestricted open work permits and occupation restricted open work permits. Not sure which one yours fall into. If you get PR before even your OWP expires, then you are lucky :). But If you need to extend your status while In Canada, I am not quite sure you can extend OWP just based on WP support letter received after nomination.

Do not get confused with 'Bridging WP' term, It's to support candidate's work status while PR is in process. It's mostly common for EE.

Now, Paper based PR and Bridging WP -- Is it possible or not? that will be a debate. If that's confusing to figure out, you still have a excellent option that to apply for a new WP based on Work support letter from ONIP. This will be employee specific WP I think.

pdrlins

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
Mine will expire on nov/2020. So, for sure that I will need to apply. Also as my understandings, I will not be able to apply to the Bridge Work Permit. I will need to apply to the Closed Work Permit and my company will need to pay this tax to the government.

I said to them that the process wouldn't involve costs... But now I will need to return to the HR and talk again...
If you do that, take care... because if you create evidence that you are paying this tax can cause a problem for you

pdrlins

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
As far as I know, OP are of 2 types unrestricted open work permits and occupation restricted open work permits. Not sure which one yours fall into. If you get PR before even your OWP expires, then you are lucky :). But If you need to extend your status while In Canada, I am not quite sure you can extend OWP just based on WP support letter received after nomination.

Do not get confused with 'Bridging WP' term, It's to support candidate's work status while PR is in process. It's mostly common for EE.

Now, Paper based PR and Bridging WP -- Is it possible or not? that will be a debate. If that's confusing to figure out, you still have a excellent option that to apply for a new WP based on Work support letter from ONIP. This will be employee specific WP I think.
it was very enlightening, thx.

There is a lot of debates about it, however, if you think a little bit about the restrictions to apply for this stream, you HAVE to HAVE an offer and YOUR company should be able to fill all the restrictions.
So, make total sense we have to apply for a "Closed Work Permit" even though we don't like it.

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019

@ pdrlins - Having said that, nomination letter is valid for 6 months? Experts can tell if candidate should file WP within 6 months. Better to go with an option that gives a longer visa so that you maintain valid status when PR is in process..

Reactions: pdrlins

andrecarlos

Star Member
Dec 31, 2019
Also applying for this WP... Do you know if a need to do online or can I go to the border and change mine and my family Permits? I am inside Canada right now...

phanikiran.kara

Dec 12, 2018
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
03-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-12-2019
AOR Received.
18-02-2020
Med's Done....
13-01-2021
LANDED..........
02-08-2020
@ pdrlins - Having said that, nomination letter is valid for 6 months? Experts can tell if candidate should file WP within 6 months. Better to go with an option that gives a longer visa so that you maintain valid status when PR is in process..
We are about to touch 100 Pages !!

End date is not written in the work permit support letter that I have received. Only the recommended duration of WP is mentioned and it is 2 years. The Nominee certificate has an end date of issued date + 6 months. But the nominee certificate only talks about PR and nothing about WP. Not sure how long the WP support letter is valid for.

Reactions: pdrlins

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019
We are about to touch 100 Pages !!

End date is not written in the work permit support letter that I have received. Only the recommended duration of WP is mentioned and it is 2 years. The Nominee certificate has an end date of issued date + 6 months. But the nominee certificate only talks about PR and nothing about WP. Not sure how long the WP support letter is valid for.

so that triggers an OINP call. :)

phanikiran.kara

Dec 12, 2018
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
03-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-12-2019
AOR Received.
18-02-2020
Med's Done....
13-01-2021
LANDED..........
02-08-2020
so that triggers an OINP call. :)
Or an email to keep it in writing :cool:. Anyways, I will not require any of these clarifications (hopefully) as I plan to apply for WP before 6 months expiry anyways.