+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Question

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
OHIP doesn't cover medications unless you are under 25 or over 65 or on welfare. If a large percentage of your income goes to medication and you have no insurance you may qualify for the Trillium drug program. They do cover you after you pay a significant deductible first (hundreds to thousands of dollars). Most people have the option of paying themselves or having work coverage after they receive OHIP.
Correct, OHIP don't cover medications , HOWEVER you have to talk to your doctor about exceptional access program, which is part of ODB.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Correct, OHIP don't cover medications , HOWEVER you have to talk to your doctor about exceptional access program, which is part of ODB.
Do you know what the exceptional access program is? Limited use? Exceptional access is to get access to really expensive drugs. The government wants to approve the prescription and make sure that there is scientific proof to warrant using the costly drug and it is not something doctors and patient want to try. There are also some drugs like Revlimed, which is a derivative of thalidomide, that the government needs to control due all the birth defects 50+ years ago. It is also expensive. There are many drugs that ODB will not cover or will only cover for certain diseases. They tend to be a bit expensive. Those drugs require LU (limited use) codes. There are only LU codes for specific diagnoses or LU codes that indicate that you have tried all other options before prescribing the drug.

I have lots of experience in the Ontario health system. There are certainly medications on the ODB formulary that you can get if you have private coverage but ODB receipients won’t have access to. There usually is an option in that drug class but it may not be the best one for you but you don’t have an option unless you pay.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Yes, I know, only your doctor can request that and you may or may not be approved from ODB to help you through to get some help for a certain medication. The ministry will review the request and approve it after or not.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Hello,

I am currently on a pgwp that will end september 2020 and so my ohip card that i got with my current job. My question is if i change my job do i need to change my health card as well ? if yes it will be a waiting period again? because the gap between my first and second job would be 3 weeks. Thanks !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am currently on a pgwp that will end september 2020 and so my ohip card that i got with my current job. My question is if i change my job do i need to change my health card as well ? if yes it will be a waiting period again? because the gap between my first and second job would be 3 weeks. Thanks !
If you are changing job before September 2020 no you continue using your same card. I assume you have worked the 6 months like your application for OHIP suggested.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Thank you for your reply !

So here is my situtation, i worked more than 6 months in my current job and hold an ohip card until the end of my work permit ( because my job is permanent ) I will need to change my job and it will probably be a gap between my current job and second job. can i still using my healthcard or it will be cancelled? Thank you for your help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply !

So here is my situtation, i worked more than 6 months in my current job and hold an ohip card until the end of my work permit ( because my job is permanent ) I will need to change my job and it will probably be a gap between my current job and second job. can i still using my healthcard or it will be cancelled? Thank you for your help
Not a problem. You can change jobs and have OHIP until your PGWP expires. Not commenting after PGWP because it depends on your plans.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
So now i have my pgwp and waiting for my marriage certificate to apply for the spousal sponsorship..and also will need to go back home for 3 weeks in august..i dont know if i should apply for the spousal sponsorship before or when i come back, is there a riks to apply and then go for vacation? should i just wait one more month before applying ? Thank u !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So now i have my pgwp and waiting for my marriage certificate to apply for the spousal sponsorship..and also will need to go back home for 3 weeks in august..i dont know if i should apply for the spousal sponsorship before or when i come back, is there a riks to apply and then go for vacation? should i just wait one more month before applying ? Thank u !
Would apply when you get back because 3 week vacation is at the limit of what is acceptable for inland sponsorship. Why risk it given that you have pgwp until sept 2020.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
yes i have until sep 2020, so there is no risk if i apply after i come back on the aug 30? and also should i apply now for the OWP or apply after renewing my passport ? Thank you so much !!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes i have until sep 2020, so there is no risk if i apply after i come back on the aug 30? and also should i apply now for the OWP or apply after renewing my passport ? Thank you so much !!!
When does your passport expire? Yes it is best to apply when you return since you are supposed to be in Canada during inland sponsorship. You also have to wait for your marriage certificate. When you return you will file for inland sponsorship with OWP. You should get the OWP in around 4 months and the sponsorship should take around 12 months. You should remain in Canada during the sponsorship process although a short leave of 2-3 weeks seems tolerated.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
The thing is my passport expire in june 2020. Can i apply and renew it after ? Then send them the new informations for my passport? Also for the owp since i have my pgwp until sep 2020 they will issue me an owp and my pgwp will be cancelled or it will be valid when my phwp expired? I am a little bit confused..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The thing is my passport expire in june 2020. Can i apply and renew it after ? Then send them the new informations for my passport? Also for the owp since i have my pgwp until sep 2020 they will issue me an owp and my pgwp will be cancelled or it will be valid when my phwp expired? I am a little bit confused..
Would apply for a new passport when you apply for your trip. Your WP will only be given until the expiry date of your passport and then you would have to reapply once you get a new passport.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
I dont have time now to renew because i need to go to montreal for the embassy. Can i apply for the spousal sponsorhsip and owp. Renew it and then send them the new informations, or should i wait for the owp given that i have my work permit untial 2020 and i might not need it because it usually takes 12 months