+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Question

jackorysugar

Jan 2, 2019
  1. Is it possible to be covered by a private health coverage if you don't have OHIP? For example, an employer has private health care insurance for their employees, would I be covered as an employee without OHIP coverage first and would I have repeat prescriptions covered this way?
  2. Is it true that you have to work full time for 6 months before being eligible to go and apply for OHIP? Or can you apply as soon as you have a letter of employment promising that you will work for 6 months and not leave the province?

Mathew89

Jan 31, 2019
  1. Yes you would be covered as an employee without OHIP coverage
  2. In order to be eligible for OHIP - you need valid job offer letter irrespective of your experience whether you worked or not but you will receive health card only after 3 months from the time you reached Canada

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
  1. Is it possible to be covered by a private health coverage if you don't have OHIP? For example, an employer has private health care insurance for their employees, would I be covered as an employee without OHIP coverage first and would I have repeat prescriptions covered this way?
  2. Is it true that you have to work full time for 6 months before being eligible to go and apply for OHIP? Or can you apply as soon as you have a letter of employment promising that you will work for 6 months and not leave the province?
Employer-provided benefits generally require people to have provincial coverage first.

jackorysugar

Jan 2, 2019
Employer-provided benefits generally require people to have provincial coverage first.
I have heard mixed things. I asked an insurance company in Canada if I need OHIP to have private health insurance, as not everyone on a work permit is eligible for it (those who work part-time, those who work freelance) and they said no. Is there any source/link confirming what you said?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have heard mixed things. I asked an insurance company in Canada if I need OHIP to have private health insurance, as not everyone on a work permit is eligible for it (those who work part-time, those who work freelance) and they said no. Is there any source/link confirming what you said?
Think you need to differentiate with general coverage and the extended benefit programs that cover medication, dental, vision, etc. Private extended benefits don't often make financial sense based on the coverage you actually get.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ask for confirmation from the underwriter. Almost guaranteed it will not be allowed.

jackorysugar

Jan 2, 2019
Think you need to differentiate with general coverage and the extended benefit programs that cover medication, dental, vision, etc. Private extended benefits don't often make financial sense based on the coverage you actually get.
I'm talking about the coverage that covers medication, dental, vision etc. You need provincial health care to get these if your employer offers it on their insurance plan? I will have travel insurance that covers GP appointments, hospital care etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm talking about the coverage that covers medication, dental, vision etc. You need provincial health care to get these if your employer offers it on their insurance plan? I will have travel insurance that covers GP appointments, hospital care etc.
Yes because although provincial health generally doesn't cover that stuff, there are exceptions. Insurance companies don't want to pay when the government could be.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most travel insurance doesn't cover regular GP appointments. Those you will have to cover on your own. Agree you usually have to have OHIP to use extended benefits. Will be very unusual to get extended benefits in the part-time work or work on contract.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
I currently do not have OHIP but I have private health care insurance under my spouses' employer insurance. It covers dental, vision, etc. The insurance company does not ask for OHIP information.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
As I know to be eligible for coverage you must, as of the effective date not be insured or eligible for benefits under a Canadian government health insurance plan. If you become eligible for and insured under the government health insurance plan of the province or territory in which you reside, the insurance will apply only to those benefits not provided under the provincial or territorial government health insurance plan. You can check what is covered under those private plans.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I currently do not have OHIP but I have private health care insurance under my spouses' employer insurance. It covers dental, vision, etc. The insurance company does not ask for OHIP information.
If your spouse's employer checked directly with the insurance underwriter, almost guaranteed that they would say OHIP is required and you don't qualify. The mistake usually happens with company HR.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Canadian employers tend not to give health coverage to employees when they are not covered by OHIP as of yet, because their policy is attached to OHIP. For example, if you need medications or devices that OHIP covers and you have OHIP, your private insurance wants you to get help from OHIP first partially, and the remaining they would cover.
So they don't have sometimes policies single not attached to OHIP eligible applicants

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canadian employers tend not to give health coverage to employees when they are not covered by OHIP as of yet, because their policy is attached to OHIP. For example, if you need medications or devices that OHIP covers and you have OHIP, your private insurance wants you to get help from OHIP first partially, and the remaining they would cover.
So they don't have sometimes policies single not attached to OHIP eligible applicants
OHIP doesn't coverage medications unless you are under 25 or over 65 or on welfare. If a large percentage of your income goes to medication and you have no insurance you may qualify for the Trillium drug program. They do cover you after you pay a significant deductible first (hundreds to thousands of dollars). Most people have the option of paying themselves or having work coverage after they receive OHIP.