+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

off campus work experience counts or not in cec

amanpreet

May 13, 2013
oh wow..thats gr8 If I can apply in july.I get my degree on 23june. ur replies really relax me.Thanks everybody :)

hamad0313

Star Member
Jul 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2012
AOR Received.
17-08-2012
Med's Request
20-08-2013
Med's Done....
30-09-2013
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
19-03-2014
How did you get hold of cic officers?

amanpreet said:
Thanks for reply..
I did talk to cic and visa officer regarding this matter. They both said experience will count what u did after your studies. It doesn't matter whatever your permit. But on CEC documents It is clearly states that Work done on off campus will not count in CEC.
Actually I cant wait for more months as my status will expire in august and I don't have any employer who can provide me LMO.If I apply in august then I do have to go back to my backhome and will not be able to get the bridging permit as extension.

from_mumbai

Mar 4, 2013
Ontario
Regina said:
Why does not anybody applied for PGWP BEFORE the graduation? On the official site they say you can do that 90 days BEFORE graduation only with a letter from the university that you are a student in good standing and will definitely graduate.

So if somebody graduates on April 23 he/she could apply for PGWP on January 23.
Hi,
Can you please give me the link.. actually one of my friend has his off-campus work permit valid only until a week after he will finish his studies..
he will not be able to get a letter or transcript in that time.. so applying prior as you said will be very helpful...

Thanks..

Cruiser55

Apr 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
Doc's Request.
21.02.2014 RPRF and BIODATA requested
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with application.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I am sorry, this is very confusing.

Where is this new rule that states that work done on an "Off campus work permit" is going to be considered if one was not a full time student simultaneously!

Here is my theory,
While you are on your "Off Campus" work permit, you are still considered a student in this country and whether your 1 year course ended in 8 months or 1 year, does not really matter, technically you are still a student that's why the "Off Campus" title!

It clearly states in the rules that NO Off CAMPUS work is going to be considered.

So please stop confusing everyone on here - Thanks. (These errors are too expensive to be made)

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cruiser55 said:

Where is this new rule that states that work done on an "Off campus work permit" is going to be considered if one was not a full time student simultaneously!

Here is my theory,
While you are on your "Off Campus" work permit, you are still considered a student in this country and whether your 1 year course ended in 8 months or 1 year, does not really matter, technically you are still a student that's why the "Off Campus" title!

It clearly states in the rules that NO Off CAMPUS work is going to be considered.

So please stop confusing everyone on here - Thanks. (These errors are too expensive to be made)
Totally Agreee!!!!!!!!!!!

from_mumbai

Mar 4, 2013
Ontario
Cruiser55 said:

Here is my theory,

Cruiser55, are you telling me or Regina?

I just want to know in detail about applying for PGWP in advance (before finishing studies). This has nothing to do with CEC in my friend's case...
I'm just posing here because Regina said that it is possible, but I didn't find anything on the cic website...

iamsj87

May 15, 2013
Cruiser55 said:

Here is my theory,

Hi, Cruise:

Here is the information from CEC operation manual:Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience gained through co-op work permits, off campus work permits while a full time student, and on campus work permits). In off campus work permits, there are two stages: a full time student and not a full time student. So from this information, my understanding is if u graduate from ur university/college and wait for PGWP while holding off-campus work permit, u can survive.
Here is another information from CEC operation manual:For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g. post-graduate work permit). Actually, this information is the same as the information above. The only difference is that it shows one of the example meeting the requirement of CEC working hours - PGWP, but PGWP is not the only criterion to prove graduation.
From my opinion, as long as you can provide the valid proof that u have successfully graduated from ur institution, then u can start counting ur CEC working hours.
Regarding to this tricky question, I have talked to the staff in CIC. I asked three ppl. One ppl said PGWP is the start point, one ppl didnt know, one ppl consulted the staff in other department and told me that once you graduated from ur institution, u should be fine.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
iamsj87 said:
Regarding to this tricky question, I have talked to the staff in CIC. I asked three ppl. One ppl said PGWP is the start point, one ppl didnt know, one ppl consulted the staff in other department and told me that once you graduated from ur institution, u should be fine.
this proves what I advised earlier :( They are confused... and depends on the officer. The decision will vary from officer to officer.

Be on the safe side and don't let the application officer doubt your timeline.
If he gets any doubt, he might reject your application (They really don't care about your feelings + They can't afford to care for feelings).

Choose the date which is latter between PGWP and Graduation date.

Considering you are already working:
If PGWP started on Day 1 and graduation date is on Day 10 ---> Count from Date of graduation.
If graduation date is on Day 1 and PGWP started on Day 10 ---> Count from Date of PGWP.

Unless you have an issue like our originalposter is facing. His status is going to expire i think.
If he can not find any other way of extending his status, i would say go ahead and apply.

iamsj87

May 15, 2013
Hi, iamroth:

I agree with you, and I will also choose a safer way to apply if I can. But my point is as long as we prepare well, we should be fine.
The reason why I mentioned three officers is that they are really confused about this question, and they don't know the answer. But the person who said PGWP is the starting point answered me based on his own judge (maybe read from operation manual and told me PGWP is the answer, but actually it can be misleading), the person who said the date of graduation is the starting point answered me after he consulted with the staff in other department (maybe from someone who is more knowledgeable about this issue). That's the difference, right?
Furthermore, the person who review our applications will be from Case processing pilot but not the staff in call centre, they should be more knowledgeable. It's also true that someone might get rejected even if they are qualified. But I really think that's because they did not provide valid proof to show when they graduated from their institution (if they meet all other requirements).

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
iamroth said:
this proves what I advised earlier :( They are confused... and depends on the officer. The decision will vary from officer to officer.

Be on the safe side and don't let the application officer doubt your timeline.
If he gets any doubt, he might reject your application (They really don't care about your feelings + They can't afford to care for feelings).

Choose the date which is latter between PGWP and Graduation date.

Considering you are already working:
If PGWP started on Day 1 and graduation date is on Day 10 ---> Count from Date of graduation.
If graduation date is on Day 1 and PGWP started on Day 10 ---> Count from Date of PGWP.

Unless you have an issue like our originalposter is facing. His status is going to expire i think.
If he can not find any other way of extending his status, i would say go ahead and apply.
Great post, +1 for that. Unless you have to (i.e. due to status expiry, etc.), it is best to use the latest date to avoid any timeline misinterpretations.

One might be justified in using the PGWP date (or even the OCWP period), but the reality is if the application is refused and one needs to appeal, it will take longer to process than just waiting the extra couple weeks to apply in the first place.

Cruiser55

Apr 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
Doc's Request.
21.02.2014 RPRF and BIODATA requested
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with application.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
iamsj87 said:
Hi, Cruise:

Here is the information from CEC operation manual:Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience gained through co-op work permits, off campus work permits while a full time student, and on campus work permits). In off campus work permits, there are two stages: a full time student and not a full time student. So from this information, my understanding is if u graduate from ur university/college and wait for PGWP while holding off-campus work permit, u can survive.
Here is another information from CEC operation manual:For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g. post-graduate work permit). Actually, this information is the same as the information above. The only difference is that it shows one of the example meeting the requirement of CEC working hours - PGWP, but PGWP is not the only criterion to prove graduation.
From my opinion, as long as you can provide the valid proof that u have successfully graduated from ur institution, then u can start counting ur CEC working hours.
Hi Iamsj87,
In Canada when they speak about "after graduation" they mean when you have your PGWP.

You experience does not count when you are on you "off campus", no matter what the rules say, read between the lines, the first consultant you spoke to, was right! PGWP is the start point. All the consultants that answer our calls are idiots!

All the manuals and other information provided on the internet are written in a language that avoids obligation and that is why they seem confusing and that is why people like you and me are not sure what the actual meaning is, because they actually mean so many things at the same time.

Bottom line: Off Campus work permit experience does not count!

If you want to go ahead and take that risk, then it is your choice!

iamsj87

May 15, 2013
Sorry, Cruise. But I did read a true case from other forum that a person got PGWP before the date of graduation was rejected by this reason: you must have 12 months of full-time work experience in the 24 months prior to the date of your application, and after you obtained the credential (and not the date courses were completed).

emrulh

Mar 18, 2013
I have a little bit different issue.

I am currently holding PG Work Permit and Study permit at the same time. I have the hours accumulated for CEC application. However, some of the experience came as a Research assistant when I was also a full-time PhD student from September 2012. Before that I finished my MA in Economics in December 2011, obtained the PG work permit on January 2012 and started working as Instructor, researcher at a firm etc. But, i also joined a PhD program (full-time) from September 2012 (while holding the PGWork permit). Some of the work experience as a Research Assistantship came from September 2012 those are associated with this PhD program. And I need these hours too to be eligible. I thought I was fine until I saw this in CIC website,

"Any periods of self-employment, unauthorized work, or periods of employment during which you were engaged in full-time study (e.g. work experience gained on a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit) will not be included when calculating the period of qualifying work experience. You must have had temporary resident status during the period of work experience acquired in Canada. If you are a student and graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, you can gain the work experience required for CEC through the Post-Graduate Work Permit."

This is very confusing. I am a full-time student since september 2012 while I gathered the Research Assistantship experience (which makes me invalid according to 1st sentence although I didn't gather them as a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit). However, I am also holding a PG Work permit when I am doing this Research Assistantship (which makes these experience valid according to the last sentence). Now, my question to you is that, can I add these experience in my application?

I called CIC about it. One of the call centre ladies put me on hold, talked to someone and told me if I can prove I had the PGWP when I was Research Assistant, it should be fine. But, like everyone else is saying they are very confused. I also consulted an immigration lawyer, she said I am fine even though I am studying full time now! I can't rely on her too because she may just want my business! It doesn't hurt her if I get rejected.

Please help.

lucky_CA

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Send with application
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
29-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-2-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-02-2014 (Ottawa) , 07-03-2014 (local visa office)
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
Irrespective of your permit in Canada ( PGWP or Study permit or both) the period of employment when you were a full-time student in Canada will not be counted. Doesn't matter whether it is related to your study or not.

Your work experience gained from January to August will be counted, which does not qualify you for CEC, unless you have 4 more months of full-time work experience on a work permit (not as a student) in the past 3 there years from the date of your application received at CIO.

Kdeep.ontario

Sep 20, 2014
Hello Aman

I am in same situation, did your off campus experience after graduation counted

amanpreet said:
I was an international student in Canada from the time period of Sept, 2011 to June 2012.

As soon as I finished my education, I started working in mobile networking company as a technician from June, 2012. At that time I was on off-campus work permit. Later on 23 August, 2012 I got my post graduate work permit.

Now, based on one year work experience, I was planing to apply for immigration and for that I need some information.

1. So what period will be counted as "one year work experience" in my case. Will it be from the time I got my post grad work permit or the day I started working in company (even if I was on off-campus work permit).

2. Since my post grad work permit is expiring on 23 Aug, 2013. Once I apply for immigration, till I get the result declared for my application will I be able to stay and continue my work in Canada even if my status expired?

I am very confused at this point, particularity on the question 1. I will be thankful to CIC office if you can provide me relevant information. But I got my degree on june 23. Does my experience will complete on 23june ,2013 or I have to wait till 23 August,2013. Please help me.