+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

off campus work experience counts or not in cec

amanpreet

May 13, 2013
I was an international student in Canada from the time period of Sept, 2011 to June 2012.

As soon as I finished my education, I started working in mobile networking company as a technician from June, 2012. At that time I was on off-campus work permit. Later on 23 August, 2012 I got my post graduate work permit.

Now, based on one year work experience, I was planing to apply for immigration and for that I need some information.

1. So what period will be counted as "one year work experience" in my case. Will it be from the time I got my post grad work permit or the day I started working in company (even if I was on off-campus work permit).

2. Since my post grad work permit is expiring on 23 Aug, 2013. Once I apply for immigration, till I get the result declared for my application will I be able to stay and continue my work in Canada even if my status expired?

I am very confused at this point, particularity on the question 1. I will be thankful to CIC office if you can provide me relevant information. But I got my degree on june 23. Does my experience will complete on 23june ,2013 or I have to wait till 23 August,2013. Please help me.

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
any experience you received under the off campus permit will not count. they will start counting from the post grad work permit issue date. I was in the same situation.

amanpreet

May 13, 2013
Hi, Thanks for you reply.

But I read on CIC website, that work you do after completion of study do counts towards Canadian Experience Class.

As you have mentioned that you were in the same situation, then what you did to figure it out!
My Work permit is expiring on 23 -Aug -2013 and I do not have LMO or any employer who can provide it to me.

Any Suggestions or will will be very appreciated. Thank you.

Ken.C

May 2, 2013
amanpreet said:

But I read on CIC website, that work you do after completion of study do counts towards Canadian Experience Class.

As you have mentioned that you were in the same situation, then what you did to figure it out!
My Work permit is expiring on 23 -Aug -2013 and I do not have LMO or any employer who can provide it to me.

Hi, Amanpreet,

Pls complete the "Determine your eligibility" on CIC website, u will know the off-campus work experience does NOT count in CEC

We r in the same situation actually, we r all one-year PGWP holder. There r 2 choices to keep u working after ur WP expires, 1) LMO, 2) PNP.

My WP expiring this July, I just got my PNP certificate last week, by this certificate, I am eligible for BOWP now.

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amanpreet said:

Only work done on PGWP will be taken into consideration,,,, as ken said you need to look towards 1) LMO, 2) PNP to extend your stay.....

In the worst case you have to apply from your home country...after you gain your 1 Year exp....

amanpreet

May 13, 2013
Thanks for suggestion.
In Canadian experience class documents, It is explained that

OP 25 (page 25, fictional case 2) states: "Eligible work experience under the Post-Graduation Stream of the CEC must occur after graduation. Work performed on an OffCampus Work Permit (during studies) does not count under the CEC."
I graduate on 23 june and even I read somewhere too they count your experience after graduation(does nt matter whatever ur status)
I am extremely worried like what I have to do nw.

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amanpreet said:
Thanks for suggestion.
In Canadian experience class documents, It is explained that

OP 25 (page 25, fictional case 2) states: "Eligible work experience under the Post-Graduation Stream of the CEC must occur after graduation. Work performed on an OffCampus Work Permit (during studies) does not count under the CEC."
I graduate on 23 june and even I read somewhere too they count your experience after graduation(does nt matter whatever ur status)
I am extremely worried like what I have to do nw.
If you are graduated on 23 June and you received you pgwp in August..... So you must be on off campus work permit when you have graduated right?

As per my knowledge the visa officer would still consider you work experience only on pgwp....

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
I have talked to the officer about it.

They count from the date PRINTED on your certificate. But just to be safe... you should always choose the later date, so that they cant deny you on simple grounds.

My wife is also applying and she is on the same situation. She got her PGWP on Aug 2012. But her graduation date is on June 2012. When I called the officer ''thought'' about the situation, then he had me on hold, while he consulted with other officers. Later he said "you can apply anytime after your graduation date. because you were on work permit. As long as you dont get the experience WHILE studying, you are fine".

Now this settles it.. BUT.... he had to think about it and consult with others, it points to the fact that they are confused about this situation. So I would say, be safe and count your days from your PGWP or graduation date (which ever is later).

from_mumbai

Mar 4, 2013
Ontario
I ignored one month to be safe...

I started working in Jan but my PGWP came in Feb and one of my friend said that wait for another month and then apply..

I'm not sure what CIC thinks but it doesn't hurt to wait a bit instead of getting rejected after a long long wait...

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why does not anybody applied for PGWP BEFORE the graduation? On the official site they say you can do that 90 days BEFORE graduation only with a letter from the university that you are a student in good standing and will definitely graduate.

So if somebody graduates on April 23 he/she could apply for PGWP on January 23.

amanpreet

May 13, 2013
Thanks for reply..
I did talk to cic and visa officer regarding this matter. They both said experience will count what u did after your studies. It doesn't matter whatever your permit. But on CEC documents It is clearly states that Work done on off campus will not count in CEC.
Actually I cant wait for more months as my status will expire in august and I don't have any employer who can provide me LMO.If I apply in august then I do have to go back to my backhome and will not be able to get the bridging permit as extension.

lucky_CA

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Send with application
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
29-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-2-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-02-2014 (Ottawa) , 07-03-2014 (local visa office)
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
According to the January 2013 rules,
You do not need to be graduated from any Canadian institution to apply for CEC. Therefore, no need to worry about whether you did your work before or after your convocation/degree award ceremony. You only need to show you have 12 months (52*30=1560 hours) of full-time or equivalent in part-time experience during the past 3 years from the date they receive your application.

The only think you need to make sure that , you were not a full-time registered student during your period of qualifying work experience. Your work experience done on off-campus work permit while waiting for your Post Graduation Work Permit ( Make sure you applied for PGWP before you started the job) should be counted according to the new 2013 rules.

However, some visa officers are skeptical and might not count your work experience done on Off-campus work permit. Because, when you were working on off-campus work permit while waiting for PGWP, you official status in Canada was still on study permit, and you were considered as a student in Canada.

Now, in your case I would suggest you to apply after August 23, 2013 to be on the safe side.

Good luck..

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
you can start counting your experience from the day your degree was issued. There is a date on your graduation certificate. Complete one year of work after that and your are good to apply.
i saw some rejections when people applied right after finishing there school but there degree was issued 2-3 months later. i think it shouldnt matter either you are on OCWP or PGWP after you get your graduation certificate.

iamsj87

May 15, 2013
Totally agree with lucky_CA. Here is the note:Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full time study will
not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience gained through co-op work permits, off campus work permits while a full time student, and on campus work permits). So I think off campus work permit should be counted as long as u are not a student any more.
Actually I have very similar situation as amanpreet do, and I counted the start date of my qualifying work experience after the date of my college graduation credential in my transcript.