+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****October 2020 Inland Spousal Sponsorship****

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Hi Gallagher,

So I've been researching quite a bit on this lack of postal code case and when they return applications to the applicants. From the post histories on this forum, it appears that most people who get theirs returned are missing a Canadian or American postal code.

I also found this response from IRCC from a previous applicant in 2019 in the parents and grandparents sponsorship thread. I noticed your post and wanted to see if I could save you some hardships, a poster with the username elmay back in Nov 11,2017 had her application sent back to her as her husband forgot to indicate his Canadian postal code on this form.

So perhaps you might need to send a webform just to clarify. I could be wrong however, and it could just be luck of the draw on whoever officer picks up the case.

---

IMM 5406 (for Principal Applicant): The Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) is missing or incomplete. Please provide a current, completed and signed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the Principal Applicant and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not. Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand.

Sections A, B and C must be fully completed for this form to be considered complete
(Name, Marital Status, Relationship to applicant, Date of birth, Country of birth, and Address). The street number, street name, city, postal/zip code and country are mandatory for Canada and USA addresses. All other countries must provide the City, Province/State/Parish and Country.
---
Thanks for sharing this, Jpn. My wife and I are pondering what action to take in light of this.

On the one hand, they sent the OWP back already and I don't know if it's customary for them to send multiple pieces of the application back at different times (does anyone reading this know?). But on the other, it would suck to have to resubmit this application too.

We included everything (street number, name, city, province, country) except the postal code on the 5406 form. I should note that this is for my wife's and my address (which is the same address listed on a couple of other sponsor and PA forms, and the postal code is listed on those). The funny thing is that they would have to write this same exact missing postal code on the envelope if they mail the application back!

I'm also wondering if they may not have sent it back due to the agent who is reviewing the file, and/or whether they only send it back if it's a missing postal code on a US/Canadian address for a family member and not the sponsor or PA (since this address and postal code is written on so many other forms/places).

On a side note, they really need to change the format of this form and create separate boxes for each address component and allow you to "validate" the form if the postal code is so critical to the processing of this form.

Reactions: JosMu and satmigs

MoncefBel

Mar 29, 2020
I will be joining you! We originally submitted hubby's application in March and it got returned incomplete on Thursday as we missed zip codes on IMM5406. now we are getting new photos and FBI identity history summary as those are now expired. As well as the most current forms...there have been some updates in the 7 months since we originally submitted. Hopefully we will have everything resubmitted by the end of the month!!
Same here March applicant got our app returned cause of missing document (NOA) the crazy part is that i didn't get all the submitted documents back + i got a different checklist back for OWP (applied as visitor OPW got back a worker OWP app checklist) lol anyhow tried calling them they didn't care the first agent just hung up on me when i start complaining, the second one said you have to send the app again and you lost your spot in the queue, and there is nothing we can do about it, so we have triple checked everything and sent it back it was received today, hopefully this time it goes smoothly, it really sucks the kind of service they offer for inland applicants ...

JpnCdnrelationship

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Same here March applicant got our app returned cause of missing document (NOA) the crazy part is that i didn't get all the submitted documents back + i got a different checklist back for OWP (applied as visitor OPW got back a worker OWP app checklist) lol anyhow tried calling them they didn't care the first agent just hung up on me when i start complaining, the second one said you have to send the app again and you lost your spot in the queue, and there is nothing we can do about it, so we have triple checked everything and sent it back it was received today, hopefully this time it goes smoothly, it really sucks the kind of service they offer for inland applicants ...
Hi sorry to hear that.. did you provide a letter of explanation on the missing notice of assessment? I think they could've just told you to upload this via webform.

Reactions: MoncefBel

MoncefBel

Mar 29, 2020
Hi sorry to hear that.. did you provide a letter of explanation on the missing notice of assessment? I think they could've just told you to upload this via webform.
unfortunately no forgot to mention it but i thought at least they can request a document if it is missing not return the app after 7 months, and at least return all the submitted documents but they mixed our app with someone else's cause the OWP checklist returned was for a work permit holder which we didn't submit.

JosMu

Oct 6, 2020
I will be joining you! We originally submitted hubby's application in March and it got returned incomplete on Thursday as we missed zip codes on IMM5406. now we are getting new photos and FBI identity history summary as those are now expired. As well as the most current forms...there have been some updates in the 7 months since we originally submitted. Hopefully we will have everything resubmitted by the end of the month!!
I just got my application back yesterday too. They said we missed a signature next to a document that had an electronic signature already, how should I have known. They really try to trick people. Anyway I am not sure what else I have to update now. The police certificates have already been a year old when I first applied, but I had to get them for my work and holiday visa, which I was still on when I first applied in March, just like you. Since I havent been to any of those countries since then, they should still be valid?

Did you also apply for Open work permit at the same time? I did and I got an email twice asking about the Biometrics fee proof. Which I send in via the online web form twice ( In September and just last week). Even though it was also in the visa papers that I send out in March. Makes me wonder if those people know what they are doing.

MoncefBel

Mar 29, 2020
I just got my application back yesterday too. They said we missed a signature next to a document that had an electronic signature already, how should I have known. They really try to trick people. Anyway I am not sure what else I have to update now. The police certificates have already been a year old when I first applied, but I had to get them for my work and holiday visa, which I was still on when I first applied in March, just like you. Since I havent been to any of those countries since then, they should still be valid?

Did you also apply for Open work permit at the same time? I did and I got an email twice asking about the Biometrics fee proof. Which I send in via the online web form twice ( In September and just last week). Even though it was also in the visa papers that I send out in March. Makes me wonder if those people know what they are doing.
i think they are just trying to get rid of application as much as possible to clear the backlog they have created by not working for 7 months, so for your police certificates should be valid i believe since you didn't visit those countries back after the police certificate was issued but i am not sure, my wife was on visitor when we applied first, now she is in Implied status and we applied again providing details that she is waiting for a decision for the visitor extension application,

for the work permit we included it with our first app but not with this one we think that the case is already complicated so we will wait for AOR then apply online for an OWP

good luck for you, us and the everyone else, the problem with paper application is that there is no proof even if the agent made a mistake its your word against theirs so here you go ...

JosMu

Oct 6, 2020
Yes. Blew my mind when we opened it and saw that was the only reason. We had received the biometrics email, pre aor email with temp application number. Then got it returned incomplete
The same happened to me. Missed a signature on IMM 5669. Apparently you have to electronically sign it and then sign it by hand again if you send it in on paper. And make sure it is blue ink. What the heck. And the zip codes on the IMM5406 as well. I also already had an application number and an email asking about me showing proof of payment for Biometrics. So wierd.

JosMu

Oct 6, 2020
I called them on Friday and the agent I spoke with said that it is listed that FULL addresses are required in IMM5406. Which means zip codes too. She didn't care that it was already a 7 month old application. I can probably email and see if I can take it up with someone else, though. Definitely worth trying.
Let me know how it goes. How did you even got through to an agent? I have tried so many times, it always says there is no available agent, try again later and then they hang up on me. I applied 4th of March, there is a stamp on the open work permit stating it was received on the 9th of March then on the 4th of October they tell us its been returned due to missing ZIP codes, but they do know the address to send back all the documents. They even spelt my partners family name wrong when sending it back, but we aren't allowed any minor mistakes. So do we have to repay any fee's for the PR? I also lost my implied work status and have to restore my status in Canada now, before I can re-submit the open work permit, which I guess I have to pay again as well? Its complete bullshit.

MoncefBel

Mar 29, 2020
Let me know how it goes. How did you even got through to an agent? I have tried so many times, it always says there is no available agent, try again later and then they hang up on me. I applied 4th of March, there is a stamp on the open work permit stating it was received on the 9th of March then on the 4th of October they tell us its been returned due to missing ZIP codes, but they do know the address to send back all the documents. They even spelt my partners family name wrong when sending it back, but we aren't allowed any minor mistakes. So do we have to repay any fee's for the PR? I also lost my implied work status and have to restore my status in Canada now, before I can re-submit the open work permit, which I guess I have to pay again as well? Its complete bullshit.
the Second agent i spoke too gave some advise (the first one just hang up on me after 45 minutes of waiting time -_-) so they said we need to request refund then pay again since there is a 10$ increase also check the forms, there are like 3 updated forms use the new ones or they can find this as an excuse and send the app back, to get to them you can try the following composition 2 1 1 0 i believe this one got me to an agent. but the waiting time is long
a tip, try calling by 9 am your waiting time might be shorter than the rest of the day

JosMu

Oct 6, 2020
the Second agent i spoke too gave some advise (the first one just hang up on me after 45 minutes of waiting time -_-) so they said we need to request refund then pay again since there is a 10$ increase also check the forms, there are like 3 updated forms use the new ones or they can find this as an excuse and send the app back, to get to them you can try the following composition 2 1 1 0 i believe this one got me to an agent. but the waiting time is long
a tip, try calling by 9 am your waiting time might be shorter than the rest of the day
Do you know which forms have been updated. Which did you fell out again? How do I request a refund?

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
The same happened to me. Missed a signature on IMM 5669. Apparently you have to electronically sign it and then sign it by hand again if you send it in on paper. And make sure it is blue ink. What the heck. And the zip codes on the IMM5406 as well. I also already had an application number and an email asking about me showing proof of payment for Biometrics. So wierd.
fudge you got returned for that? we used a consultant to check over our forms and sent it in. only after I saw we're supposed to sign by hand for schedule A. consultant said she's never had package returned for missing signature on schedule A.... now don't know what to do except stress over them returning

MoncefBel

Mar 29, 2020
Do you know which forms have been updated. Which did you fell out again? How do I request a refund?
Didn't keep track but 2 ~3 forms got updated please go through the checklist again and check in the bottom left corner the date the form was issued follow this link for guide :
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

you can find your payment history and request a refund by following this website
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

good luck.

JpnCdnrelationship

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hi we're you missing an American or Canadian Zip code on IMM5406?