+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****OCTOBER 2019 Inland Spousal Sponsorship****

viranimoiz

Oct 31, 2019
Could you please share your views, if I have only applied for PR and not for OWP, then will my application process be faster? Or they are not interdependent. Thanks

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Could you please share your views, if I have only applied for PR and not for OWP, then will my application process be faster? Or they are not interdependent. Thanks
They are not. Both are processed in different offices.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Oh thank you so much. I was just curious cuz I also used to work in the other country where work permit and working visa are two different things to get so I cannot legally live/work if I only have one of em. Anyway, thank you again :)
The OWP means you can work in Canada but doesn’t give right to stay as in TRV (multiple entry). You need to make sure that you have a valid visa or implied status while the application is processed. You understand correctly. There is a difference between a permit and a visa. Temporary residents in Canada get a TRV which allows them to legally stay/live in Canada for a temporary period, for visit, work or study. With the visa, they may also get a work or study permit.

The owp for sponsorship app is a pilot so that's why it's different than the others who get wp with trv.

For accurate info, check the cic website. If you are on implied status, you dont need extension. After, you can work for the duration of your owp. You dont need another visa to stay but you may need one to reenter. By the time it expires, you should have received your pr card.

Last edited:

strssincanada

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
The OWP means you can work in Canada but doesn’t give right to stay. You need to make sure that you have a valid visa or extension for implied status. You understand correctly. There is a difference between a permit and a visa. Temporary residents in Canada get a TRV which allows them to legally stay/live in Canada for a temporary period, for visit, work or study. With the visa, they may also get a work or study permit.

For accurate info, check the cic website. If you are on implied status, or as long as you are, you can work for the duration of your owp. By the time it expires, you should have received your pr card.
Wait, May be i am reading wrong. correctly me if I am wrong. So according to you, OWP gives me right to work but it does not give me right to stay in Canada legally, does that mean we all have to apply for visitor record (visitor visa extension) before our 6 months is over?

Also, has any one from OCT received OWP approval after Jan 10 2020, if so plz update spreadsheet.

Last edited:

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
I know there is some confusion about linking an OWP on CGKey, and I wanted to clarify something that I hadn't seen before today, which helped me link mine:

When you log into and go to "Link an existing application to this account," the Category will be "Temporary Residence," and the Sub-category will be "Work permit and extension."

From there you can input your identifying information. Personally, I had to use my Unique Client Identifier (UCI) and Family Name, as I did not know my Work Permit application number YET (this is different than your PR Application number).

Hope this helps!

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Wait, May be i am reading wrong. correctly me if I am wrong. So according to you, OWP gives me right to work but it does not give me right to stay in Canada legally, does that mean we all have to apply for visitor record (visitor visa extension) before our 6 months is over?

Also, has any one from OCT received OWP approval after Jan 10 2020, if so plz update spreadsheet.
Well, first of all, it's not according to me. It's according to the IRCC. The owp is not a visa; it doesn't give you right to stay. As I said, for accurate information, you can read it on the cic website but I think it has been discussed on the forum as well. Check for the definition of implied status. In case the application gets returned, some will apply for extension. When you apply for PR under sponsorship, the PA needs to make sure that they are not out of status.

Check this link. Maybe it helps.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Also, it seems like the owp are coming on Friday so maybe tomorrow.

And please update the spreadsheet as many rely on it to see the progress. Those who got their app returned, please remove the names so the data collected is accurate.

Katt

Feb 10, 2019
Well, first of all, it's not according to me. It's according to the IRCC. The owp is not a visa; it doesn't give you right to stay. As I said, for accurate information, you can read it on the cic website but I think it has been discussed on the forum as well. Check for the definition of implied status. In case the application gets returned, some will apply for extension. When you apply for PR under sponsorship, the PA needs to make sure that they are not out of status.

Thanks for the info.
So, I guess I'm on implied status right now? Cuz I have my OWP approved and my PR is on process. I also got my visa extension approved valid until April 14,2020. But that's gonna be the last, I can't extend anymore since I only got 1yr visitor's visa.

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
Thanks for the info.
So, I guess I'm on implied status right now? Cuz I have my OWP approved and my PR is on process. I also got my visa extension approved valid until April 14,2020. But that's gonna be the last, I can't extend anymore since I only got 1yr visitor's visa.
Hello, you are allowed to work and stay in canada with your work pernit. You are considered on implied status is one of your application is in process and all the other permits and visas are expired.
For eg : My spouse OWP expired on Nov 2019 along with her travel visa and PR application & new Owp is in process. She is considered on implied status where she can still work with the same employer. But if she decides to travel outside canada she would need a valid visa to enter again.

Now when you have your Owp and visitor visa until April 2020 you can legally work and stay in canada and also travel back n forth till april 2020. You can also apply for a new visa based on your new Owp and it will b valid same as your Owp. Hope this helps and if you still need more info you can email me.

Katt

Feb 10, 2019
Hello, you are allowed to work and stay in canada with your work pernit. You are considered on implied status is one of your application is in process and all the other permits and visas are expired.
For eg : My spouse OWP expired on Nov 2019 along with her travel visa and PR application & new Owp is in process. She is considered on implied status where she can still work with the same employer. But if she decides to travel outside canada she would need a valid visa to enter again.

Now when you have your Owp and visitor visa until April 2020 you can legally work and stay in canada and also travel back n forth till april 2020. You can also apply for a new visa based on your new Owp and it will b valid same as your Owp. Hope this helps and if you still need more info you can email me.
Thank you so much for the info. I feel relieve.

strssincanada

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010

sorry if it came out bad when i said "according to you", i did not mean to be rude or anything. I am just confuse as we all know IRCC guidelines can be confusing sometimes. I was under impression that if your OWP gets approve before your visitor visa expires, you do not need to apply for visitor record (visitor extension) and implied status as OWP approval means you have to right to remain in Canada until OWP expires, which means you are not out of status, while you are waiting for PR sponsorship approval.

Reactions: lbft

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
sorry if it came out bad when i said "according to you", i did not mean to be rude or anything. I am just confuse as we all know IRCC guidelines can be confusing sometimes. I was under impression that if your OWP gets approve before your visitor visa expires, you do not need to apply for visitor record (visitor extension) and implied status as OWP approval means you have to right to remain in Canada until OWP expires, which means you are not out of status, while you are waiting for PR sponsorship approval.
Yes implied is until you get your owp once you get it you're fine. As I said, some extend their visa in case the application gets returned as then they would be out of status. You have your owp right? So you're fine.

However, if you don't have a valid try, you nor.ally can't reenter if you travel out. For example, my husband 6 months ended Jan 13. Until the owp get approved/refused, he's on implied status. If it gets refused, he would be out of status. If it gets approved, then he can work and live in Canada. If he travels out of the country, he can get reenter because of his TRV not the owp. This doesn't apply to PA who are visa free. Their website says that legal status means you can enter and remain in Canada. In this case, there was no need to enter since the PA is already in Canada otherwise they would need TRV. So the owp gives you legal status (to remain/live) and work in Canada. However doesn't give you reenter which is why I said in itself doesn't give you right to live, I meant you can't reenter and show it to cbsa as a proof of legal temporary resident.

I'm curious, if PR doesn't give implied status, those who didn't apply for owp, what do they do to maintain legal status? They need to extend until AIP?

Last edited:

strssincanada

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
Yes implied is until you get your owp once you get it you're fine. As I said, some extend their visa in case the application gets returned as then they would be out of status. You have your owp right? So you're fine.

However, if you don't have a valid try, you nor.ally can't reenter if you travel out. For example, my husband 6 months ended Jan 13. Until the owp get approved/refused, he's on implied status. If it gets refused, he would be out of status. If it gets approved, then he can work and live in Canada. If he travels out of the country, he can get reenter because of his TRV not the owp. This doesn't apply to PA who are visa free. Their website says that legal status means you can enter and remain in Canada. In this case, there was no need to enter since the PA is already in Canada otherwise they would need TRV. So the owp gives you legal status (to remain/live) and work in Canada. However doesn't give you reenter which is why I said in itself doesn't give you right to live, I meant you can't reenter and show it to cbsa as a proof of legal temporary resident.

I'm curious, if PR doesn't give implied status, those who didn't apply for owp, what do they do to maintain legal status? They need to extend until AIP?
Thank for your reply. Naah, I haven't receive OWP approval yet but I am hoping to receive before my wife visitor visa expires so we do not have to go through all the visitor record/extension etc. Ya, that true OWP does not give you rights to reenter Canada. So, now I get it, if our OWP get approve before visitor visa expires, we do not have to apply for visitor record (visitor extension) and implied status.

From my understanding i dont think PR application gives you implied status thats why people who are under visitor visa here and doing inland pr application, better apply for OWP and/or visitor record. Whats AIP? is it "“approved in principle (AIP)”, if that's what is then i am not sure how you can extend AIP.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Thank for your reply. Naah, I haven't receive OWP approval yet but I am hoping to receive before my wife visitor visa expires so we do not have to go through all the visitor record/extension etc. Ya, that true OWP does not give you rights to reenter Canada. So, now I get it, if our OWP get approve before visitor visa expires, we do not have to apply for visitor record (visitor extension) and implied status.

From my understanding i dont think PR application gives you implied status thats why people who are under visitor visa here and doing inland pr application, better apply for OWP and/or visitor record. Whats AIP? is it "“approved in principle (AIP)”, if that's what is then i am not sure how you can extend AIP.
Yes it's approval in principle. I was wondering if those who don't apply for owp extend their visa, if they have one, until they get AIP.

If you linked you owp to GCKey, you are on implied status as your application is being processed. No need for extension in that case. Hope you get yours soon.