+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****October 2018**** INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Your visitor extension is taking too long! It is weird!! Regarding you being eligible to apply for PR, ok. But you are NOT eligible to apply for OWP without a valid status. If you are on implied status you are not eligible for the OWP. That is it!

That is why you need your visitor extension approved. It will give you a valid status then IRCC can process your OWP application.

Call them to get information on your visitor extension and know why it is taking so long!!
Since when this happens??
Does that mean that we have to wait after acceptance of visitor extension another 4 months to get OWP ???? So basically near AIP stage???

Mark Robinson

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018
Does that mean that we have to wait after acceptance of visitor extension another 4 months to get OWP ???? So basically near AIP stage???

Exactly my point. I spoke to them, they said until the visitors permit is approved, the owp will not be consider. That left me shattered and so much pressure on my partner. I have a job waiting and I doubt if I would ever be able to start. I am waiting till end of February anyway and if by the end of February, I do not hear anything back in relation to the Visitors permit, I will assume they no longer want to renew it.

The status on the visitors permit says "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements", and this has been like this for months now. I can no longer be bothered as I do not have control over this, but really unfair.

Mark Robinson

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018

Exactly my point. I spoke to them, they said until the visitors permit is approved, the owp will not be consider. That left me shattered and so much pressure on my partner. I have a job waiting and I doubt if I would ever be able to start. I am waiting till end of February anyway and if by the end of February, I do not hear anything back in relation to the Visitors permit, I will assume they no longer want to renew it.

The status on the visitors permit says "we are reviewing if you eligible for Visitors Permit", and this has been like this for months now. I can no longer be bothered as I do not have control over this, but really unfair.
Your visitor extension is taking too long! It is weird!! Regarding you being eligible to apply for PR, ok. But you are NOT eligible to apply for OWP without a valid status. If you are on implied status you are not eligible for the OWP. That is it!

That is why you need your visitor extension approved. It will give you a valid status then IRCC can process your OWP application.

Call them to get information on your visitor extension and know why it is taking so long!!

I somehow feel that the grounds on eligibility for owp is wrong from IRCC. If I am an implied status, and the status clearly states I can continue doing what I was doing if I renewed my visa/stay before it expired, why should I not be eligible for the owp and change of status, as long as I have an existing status (which is the visitors, called implied because they are processing this application).

Furthermore, why do I need the visitors extension approved before the owp can be processed/approved, I am under a status when I applied for a change in status, it is not my decision to keep application under review for so long as the visitors status application has been "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements." since October 2018. Considering what their website clearly says below:

"As a temporary resident, it is important to apply to extend your stay in Canada, if necessary, before it expires. Following submission of the application, you are considered to have implied status.

• If you apply to extend your stay at the latest on the expiry date of your status:
    • you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on your application.
  • If you apply for renewal of your work or study permit at the latest on the expiry date of your status, and your permit expires before a decision is made:
    • you can continue working or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada."
So technically, if that clearly says I am in status when I submit my application for renewal, why should my status no longer matter that I am still on the wait of their on decision even when they have clearly stated that I am on the same status but implied. Am suffering I the only one suffering from not understanding English or is it deliberate act from ircc just to frustrate applicants while waiting for their own decision to make.

The facts are, I submitted my application for renewal before it expired. I also submitted my pr application + owp whilst waiting for their own renewal of visitors permit application, why should the owp application depend on the visitors renewal decision, I need a word for this, somebody please help!!

That is really unfair.

Last edited:

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018

The status on the visitors permit says "we are reviewing if you eligible for Visitors Permit", and this has been like this for months now. I can no longer be bothered as I do not have control over this, but really unfair.

I somehow feel that the grounds on eligibility for owp is wrong from IRCC. If I am an implied status, and the status clearly states I can continue doing what I was doing if I renewed my visa/stay before it expired, why should I not be eligible for the owp and change of status, as long as I have an existing status (which is the visitors, called implied because they are processing this application).

Furthermore, why do I need the visitors approved before the owp can be processed/approved, I am under a status when I applied for a change in status, it is not my decision to keep application under review for so long as the visitors status application has been "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements." since October 2018. Considering this is what their website clearly says:

As a temporary resident, it is important to apply to extend your stay in Canada, if necessary, before it expires. Following submission of the application, you are considered to have implied status.

• If you apply to extend your stay at the latest on the expiry date of your status:
    • you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on your application.
  • If you apply for renewal of your work or study permit at the latest on the expiry date of your status, and your permit expires before a decision is made:
    • you can continue working or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada.
That is so unfair!!!!
I didn't know that it might delay the OWP another 4 months!!!! I thought that it might only delay it until we get the visitor visa extension approved!!!!
I am honestly crying right now
I want to help my spouse, I need to work
Like why would they do that now?? This didn't happen before as far as I know
This isn't fair at all.. now we have to wait until the end of the process to get OWP which ruins the purpose anyways....

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018

Furthermore, why do I need the visitors extension approved before the owp can be processed/approved, I am under a status when I applied for a change in status, it is not my decision to keep application under review for so long as the visitors status application has been "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements." since October 2018. Considering what their website clearly says below:

"As a temporary resident, it is important to apply to extend your stay in Canada, if necessary, before it expires. Following submission of the application, you are considered to have implied status.

• you can continue working or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada."
So technically, if that clearly says I am in status when I submit my application for renewal, why should my status no longer matter that I am still on the wait of their on decision even when they have clearly stated that I am on the same status but implied. Am suffering I the only one suffering from not understanding English or is it deliberate act from ircc just to frustrate applicants while waiting for their own decision to make.

The facts are, I submitted my application for renewal before it expired. I also submitted my pr application + owp whilst waiting for their own renewal of visitors permit application, why should the owp application depend on the visitors renewal decision, I need a word for this, somebody please help!!

That is really unfair.
I know right!
Like it doesn't make any sense!
They want us to get approved to stay as visitors when we are applying to change our status to workers?!

Mark Robinson

Star Member
Oct 21, 2018
That is so unfair!!!!
I didn't know that it might delay the OWP another 4 months!!!! I thought that it might only delay it until we get the visitor visa extension approved!!!!
I am honestly crying right now
I want to help my spouse, I need to work
Like why would they do that now?? This didn't happen before as far as I know
This isn't fair at all.. now we have to wait until the end of the process to get OWP which ruins the purpose anyways....

Do not be too sad and hard on your self, remember, some people get lucky, this people just act based on self discretions and not really by the book. I have seen where more than three applicant applied for study permit and only one was rejected and they all applied to the same school with the same information and documentations. This people work according to their mood and no one has power to challenge them, the transparency is not really as great and if at all you want to challenge them as a temporary stayer, the journey would be a very long one. Keep your fingers cross and just pray and hope, you never know, the best might just happen to us. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno.uss

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Do not be too sad and hard on your self, remember, some people get lucky, this people just act based on self discretions and not really by the book. I have seen where more than three applicant applied study permit and only one was rejected and they all applied to the same school with the same information and documentations. This people work according to their mood and no one has power to challenge them, the transparency is really as great and if at all you want to challenge them as a temporary stayer, the journey would be a very long one. Keep your fingers cross and just pray and hope, you never know, the best might just happen to us. I wish you all the best.
This is just very saddening :(
Trying to keep the hope though, thanks Mark, I wish you all the best too

Feb 7, 2019
As far as I know:
  • If you apply at least 30 days before your visitor visa's expiry, you are considered to have applied under "legal status" and even if your visitor visa expires during the process, you will still have "implied status" until your open work permit application reaches a decision, which should follow the usual OWP timelines.
  • However, I am not sure what happens if someone applies for their owp with less than 30 days until the visitor visa expiry.
The statement below is official:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend.html
If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a worker, check the expiry date on your work permit, and make sure you apply before that date. Complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
Before "Review of eligibility started", did you have background check? Thanks.
The eligibility said here is the one for the OWP. Background check is for the PR app. Eligibility for PR is not the same as for OWP. Just to clarify! ;)

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
Since they started with the OWP spousal pilot.

Yes. It means that they will start processing the OWP application once the applicant has a valid status. Otherwise they process it after AIP.