+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successfully Linking Spousal PR Application and Open work permit (SOWP)

pratik1216

Jun 13, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I went through multiple blogs and figured that there have been changes to the linking form recently. After a couple of tries, the following 2 step process worked for me, thought I'd share them:

#1 STEPS for linking PR application (Assuming you have UCI number for the Principal Applicant)

Step 1: After you click on "Link a paper application" form

Tell us about the application
Category:
Permanent Residence
Sub-Category: Family Class (Spouses)
Please select one: Application Number & Unique Client Identifier (UCI)
Application Number: Enter Application number from the AOR email.
Unique Client Identifier (UCI): Enter Principal Applicants UCI (IMP: NOT Sponsors UCI. PA's UCI. AOR email has Sponsors UCI)

Applicant's personal information
Please Select one: Passport - Enter Principal Applicants passport details (add exact details as on Principal Applicants passport)

Other Application Information
Province: (add the same information you wrote on question 5 of form IMM0008)
City: (add the same information you wrote on question 5 of form IMM0008)
Marital Status: Married (Of course :p)
Number of family members included in this application: 2 (1 Sponsor + 1 Principal Applicant) Add 1 more for every dependent​

Step 2:

Then click on "Search for my Application"
After the application is found, click on "Link Application"​

Tada!

#2 STEPS for linking Spousal open work permit (SOWP) application

Category:
Temporary Residence
Sub-Category: Work Permit Extension
Please select one: Unique Client Identifier (UCI) & Family Name
Unique Client Identifier (UCI): Enter Principal Applicants UCI (IMP: NOT Sponsors UCI. PA's UCI. AOR email has Sponsors UCI)
Application Number: Enter Principal Applicants Family name as it is from the passport

Please Select one: Passport - Enter Principal Applicants passport details (add exact details as on Principal Applicants passport)
Details of intended work in Canada
What type of work permit are you applying for?: Open (Initial Application or Extension)

Information about the applicant's work in Canada
Country of residence:
Canada (As SWOP is only for Inland Applicants)
Which Situation Applies to the Applicant: Spouse or Common-in-law partner of a skilled worker
Step 2:

Vola! Hope this helps

Regards,
P

Aboutmelaine

Oct 16, 2018
Hello,

I went through multiple blogs and figured that there have been changes to the linking form recently. After a couple of tries, the following 2 step process worked for me, thought I'd share them:

#1 STEPS for linking PR application (Assuming you have UCI number for the Principal Applicant)

Category:
Permanent Residence

Number of family members included in this application: 2 (1 Sponsor + 1 Principal Applicant) Add 1 more for every dependent​

Step 2:

Tada!

Category:
Temporary Residence
Application Number: Enter Principal Applicants Family name as it is from the passport

What type of work permit are you applying for?: Open (Initial Application or Extension)

Country of residence:
Which Situation Applies to the Applicant: Spouse or Common-in-law partner of a skilled worker​
Step 2:

Vola! Hope this helps

Regards,
P
Thanks for sharing. But I’m still unable to link up my swop. I have tried five times and got blocked for today. Did you get through with just one time attempt?

pratik1216

Jun 13, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing. But I’m still unable to link up my swop. I have tried five times and got blocked for today. Did you get through with just one time attempt?
Hello, yes I got in after the 1st attempt. Did you use the same details to link SWOP as you used for the PR application?

Zak8

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Hello,

Category:
Permanent Residence

Step 2:

Tada!

Category:
Temporary Residence

Country of residence:
Which Situation Applies to the Applicant: Spouse or Common-in-law partner of a skilled worker​
Step 2:

Vola! Hope this helps

Regards,
P
I could not link the SOWP, the way you mentioned. So I got another suggestion from someone, to select it as International Experience Canada. And entered rest of the details of passport and stuff. In the last section of the intended work or some other questions of the type of application where there is a drop down window, I answered every question as NO (there were 4 questions). Then only it could find my application

LittleBunny99

Dec 3, 2018
Hello,

Category:
Permanent Residence

Step 2:

Tada!

Category:
Temporary Residence

Country of residence:
Step 2:

Vola! Hope this helps

Regards,
P

I tried using your format to link my open work permit, but it didn't found any information. Then I tried with "Applied for permanent residence as a spouse or common-law partner in Canada" and it Work!!

airsheridan

Nov 27, 2018
Hi all, I've been trying to link both the in-land spousal sponsorship and the SOWP but have not had any luck. I have not received an application number for either of these yet though, is this my issue? Hoping this thread is still alive!

JimJones

May 14, 2019
Thanks for this really helpful walk through. I have successfully linked my PR application. I went through the steps to link also the open Work Application. it said an application had been found and i pressed the button to link it but there no new application was linked. I tried again and the message this time was that the application had already been linked to my account, but nothing new has appeared.

Why would it not have appeared in my list of applications.Is the SOWP application separate from the PR Application?

Thanks

arpmajumda

Jun 29, 2017
Hello,

Category:
Permanent Residence

Step 2:

Tada!

Category:
Temporary Residence

Country of residence:
Step 2:

Vola! Hope this helps

Regards,
P

Hello Pratik,

Thanks a lot for sharing this information. We were very curious about whats going on with our application and your steps did help us in linking followed by tracking the status of our application.

For open work permit, I couldn't get results by following exactly the steps mentioned. May be because of the way IRCC may have categorized our application. However I followed the steps posted by another gentlemen in the thread and it helped us in getting the application. Nevertheless, you started this thread so really wanted to thank you personally. Now at least we have some visibility.

Take care,

Best Regards

arpmajumda

Jun 29, 2017
I tried using your format to link my open work permit, but it didn't found any information. Then I tried with "Applied for permanent residence as a spouse or common-law partner in Canada" and it Work!!
Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing an alternate method of tracking the application. It worked for me too. Really appreciate your effort to find a different options for application search.

Take Care,

Best Regards,

arpmajumda

Jun 29, 2017
Do you actually get an application number for your work permit??
Every application has a reference number. It gets generated when they start processing your application. So if you didn't get one or could find one, it probably because they have not started processing your application.