+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2014 Citizenship Applications

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
androme said:
Hi Guys,

If anyone could advice me on the citizenship application process, I will really appreciate it. Got my PR in Sept 2013. How many days do I need to be In Canada to be eligible to apply for citizenship. I am kinda confused about this. I got here in Jan 2007 on a work permit. Got PR in 2013 Sept. I might have been out of Canada for maybe 40 days from 2007 till 2015. Can anyone share the application process. How long is it taking for them to give you the citizenship. Also is there an interview to get the citizenship? please help me understaqnd the overall process. I will really appreciate it. Thank you.
Please click on the following link to check the eligibility:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Also use the following link to calculate your residency requirements:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

These are the notes from the online residence calculator:
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application. Please note that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

Also, you will be interviewed during the citizenship process.

Oct20

Nov 11, 2014
Just a question
Can ATIP we'll help and move the case forward
I don't know what happening
From Jan.19 my file in process and no news
Pls advise
Thanks

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
Oct20 said:
Just a question
Can ATIP we'll help and move the case forward
I don't know what happening
From Jan.19 my file in process and no news
Pls advise
Thanks
Which local office are you, Oct20?

Oct20

Nov 11, 2014
benk said:
We have more or less same timeline...Oct/Nov 2014...transferred to LO jan2015...scarborough...still no news.. :(
So what we can do ,some of our co-applicants who applied with us or even after us by month or so already got the exam
we still waiting

sarezaei

Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oct20 said:
So what we can do ,some of our co-applicants who applied with us or even after us by month or so already got the exam
we still waiting
Just be patient! I had the same timeline and my file was in process since Jan 12 and moved to Scarbrough since Jan 14, I just got test invitation last Friday.

ind0canadian

Sep 1, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oct20 said:
we still waiting
My file is in process since Jan 7, 2015 after being transferred to Scarborough, still no news :(

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
ind0canadian said:
My file is in process since Jan 7, 2015 after being transferred to Scarborough, still no news :(

Me too....... :( :( :( Its frustrating since we do not have any idea on the timeline.......... :( :( :(

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
ind0canadian said:
Hi ind0canadian,

When you submitted your application, do you have the minimum number of physical presence days in Canada? Did you submit only the documents they requested or did you submit additional documents (e.g. pay stubs, etc.)? Did you travel a lot out of Canada in the last 4 years?

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
I just saw this link (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/immigration-changes-to-watch-for-in-2015-1.2828021) and it mentioned about the new Citizenship Act and the fee increase that started Jan. 1, 2015 with a promise of faster citizenship application processing... I read somewhere too that they are on track to processing applications in 2015 in less than one year...

Here is an excerpt:

"Starting Jan. 1, the fee to apply for citizenship will increase for the second time in less than a year to $530 per adult. Based on the government's immigration projections for 2015, the fee hike could inject an additional $60 million into federal coffers.

Alexander said faster processing times for citizenship applications in recent months were the result of some of the changes made to the Citizenship Act in 2014."

However, how come some of us are still waiting for test invite for a long time now??? :(

khowe

Star Member
Nov 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2011
AOR Received.
28-02-2012
Med's Request
28-02-2012
Med's Done....
06-03-2012
Passport Req..
11-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
06-16-2012
benk said:
I just saw this link (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/immigration-changes-to-watch-for-in-2015-1.2828021) and it mentioned about the new Citizenship Act and the fee increase that started Jan. 1, 2015 with a promise of faster citizenship application processing... I read somewhere too that they are on track to processing applications in 2015 in less than one year...

Here is an excerpt:

"Starting Jan. 1, the fee to apply for citizenship will increase for the second time in less than a year to $530 per adult. Based on the government's immigration projections for 2015, the fee hike could inject an additional $60 million into federal coffers.

Alexander said faster processing times for citizenship applications in recent months were the result of some of the changes made to the Citizenship Act in 2014."

However, how come some of us are still waiting for test invite for a long time now??? :(
While I understand your frustrations, you are still well within the 1-year time frame that you quoted as the oath follows fairly soon after completing the test. Also, there have been significant improvements in the speed of the application process, and while it is still a long one compared to other countries, it is no where near as bad as a few years ago. If you poke around the forum you will see some people who have been waiting for years to complete the process. I have a feeling you will be hearing about a test invite very soon. Good luck!

benk

Star Member
Jul 11, 2011
khowe said:
While I understand your frustrations, you are still well within the 1-year time frame that you quoted as the oath follows fairly soon after completing the test. Also, there have been significant improvements in the speed of the application process, and while it is still a long one compared to other countries, it is no where near as bad as a few years ago. If you poke around the forum you will see some people who have been waiting for years to complete the process. I have a feeling you will be hearing about a test invite very soon. Good luck!
Thanks khowe :)