+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2013 Citizenship Applications

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Cha2 said:
Hey mrbravo sorry I went out with my family after the test just came in now. It went very well. ;D :D
I got all the answers to the 20 questions correct. We were just 4 of us just like you mentioned yesterday. Let me give you the details of how it went down. I was the first to come so I just sat down in the reception (it was really quiet inside there). Later the other three came. There were just two staff on duty today. One of the ladies came out and handed us each a brown envelope with our names on it instructing us to put all the original documents as mentioned in the "notice".

After we did this, she took the envelope from us and later ushered us into the test room. She was very friendly. The test question paper was inside a green folder with a separate answer sheet on top of it. You just circle the correct answers on the answer sheet. The test was very easy. I was kind of disappointed because I prepared so hard for just very easy questions. I was done in one minute (no kidding!!).

After I handed in my the test I waited in the waiting room for a short while before another nice friendly lady asked me to follow her. She introduced herself as Michelle (interview judge). She asked me what I did for a living and we started chatting like old friends. She checked my PR card, my confirmation of PR paper, and my passports. She went through the stamps there but did not (make a fuss of anything) she did not ask for any CBSA report or NOA or any other document.
She later told me she was satisfied and that they will let us know when the oath will take place. Not later than August she said. I pretended to be alarmed telling her August was too far. She laughed and said that it could be sooner but they always tell applicants that so the wont be calling CIC every time.

About the questions in the test I think all four of us had different questions.

See your inbox I have sent you a private message. Overall it was a very positive experience in a very relaxed environment. I hope all this helps and all the best in your test tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any other questions...
Thanks a million for your great help. Best of Luck

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Cha2 said:
Thank you very much!!
Cha2...

I wrote my citizenship test today and was very easy. The questions were just common sense.

The interview went very smooth, The agent checked the date of departures and entries claimed on my application and compared to the stamps on my passport. She went over them one by one. I had 4 entry missing stamps mostly at Calgary airport. She said this became a common thing in many airports. Anyway, I gave her my CBSA report and she said " O Lovely" you make my life easy. She was pleased that I had that one. Also she asked for my translation for some of the stamps I had on my passport and gave her the translation.

She didn't care about my NOA nor my employment letters and gave them back to me.

The interview took an average of 10 minutes, 8 minutes were devoted to the stamps.

Advice: Bring your CBSA report with you if you are missing any entry stamp and translate your stamps if they aren't in English or French.

Thanks and Best of luck for everyone.

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
mrbravo said:
Cha2...

I wrote my citizenship test today and was very easy. The questions were just common sense.

The interview went very smooth, The agent checked the date of departures and entries claimed on my application and compared to the stamps on my passport. She went over them one by one. I had 4 entry missing stamps mostly at Calgary airport. She said this became a common thing in many airports. Anyway, I gave her my CBSA report and she said " O Lovely" you make my life easy. She was pleased that I had that one. Also she asked for my translation for some of the stamps I had on my passport and gave her the translation.

She didn't care about my NOA nor my employment letters and gave them back to me.

The interview took an average of 10 minutes, 8 minutes were devoted to the stamps.

Advice: Bring your CBSA report with you if you are missing any entry stamp and translate your stamps if they aren't in English or French.

Thanks and Best of luck for everyone.
Yes my point exactly - the test questions were too easy. I would still have passed it without studying so hard. Its good to know your interview went smoothly too. Thank God you had your CBSA report, I'm wondering what she would have done if you did not have that.

Congratulations!! The main hurdle in this application is over! Did you ask her about our oath date? Did she say anything about it?

CONGRATS again!!

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Cha2 said:
Yes my point exactly - the test questions were too easy. I would still have passed it without studying so hard. Its good to know your interview went smoothly too. Thank God you had your CBSA report, I'm wondering what she would have done if you did not have that.

Congratulations!! The main hurdle in this application is over! Did you ask her about our oath date? Did she say anything about it?

CONGRATS again!!
Thanks Cha2

I think she would have ordered the CBSA report herself as CIC usually gets it in a week while we can get in 40-50 days. However, I didn't want to take any risk. There was one guy today who didn't bring his old passport. She asked him to go back home bring it and come back which he did.

She mentioned that the oath would probably be in June at the earliest and August at the latest. She also mentioned that she is interviewing a lot of people this week and the next one to be able to have enough people to hold a ceremony in June.

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
mrbravo said:
Thanks Cha2

I think she would have ordered the CBSA report herself as CIC usually gets it in a week while we can get in 40-50 days. However, I didn't want to take any risk. There was one guy today who didn't bring his old passport. She asked him to go back home bring it and come back which he did.

She mentioned that the oath would probably be in June at the earliest and August at the latest. She also mentioned that she is interviewing a lot of people this week and the next one to be able to have enough people to hold a ceremony in June.
Okay, good to have it confirmed because she said the same thing yesterday.. I am hoping for a June date or even May!
I have already filled out my Canadian passport application form. The only thing missing on my application form now is my citizenship certificate number and date of issue. :D

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update since my husband took his test yesterday in Scarborough!

He got there at 8:15 and was on his way home by 8:40am. On the test he scored 20/20, and studied quite a bit the day before. He said the online practice questions really helped but the actual test questions are worded just a little differently, so you should "learn" it more than just "memorize" the answers. He said the test took him about 4 minutes to complete and then he went back to check his answers, just in case :)

After that he waited about 10 minutes for an agent to do his interview. He said the lady was very nice, and only asked him about a one year lapse in having a valid passport. Other than that she asked what he did here (he's a student), if he worked, and how many times he left the country (only twice to Mexico).

Then she said it would be about 6-8 weeks for an oath letter.

And that was it! Really easy...almost TOO easy! ;)

I'll keep you all posted on the oath timeline once we hear something back. In the meantime, the best of luck to all you who are awaiting good news! I'm sending good vibes your way.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Can't understand CIC's logic at all. I live in Scarborough and I applied for my Canadian citizenship in October 2013. CIC received my application on 3rd Oct 2013 and on 4th Oct 2013, they started processing my application. I received a letter from CIC dated 4th Oct 2013 acknowledging receipt of my application. Along with that letter, they sent me the citizenship study guide - Discover Canada.

Shortly thereafter, my application was sent to Missisauga office in Nov 2013. Since then, CIC call centre agent confirmed to me that criminal check and security check are cleared, and immigration check is in progress. In fact, call centre agents have been singing the same tune, "immigration check in progress" since Feb 2014. Now, I am hearing on this forum that some people who applied after me have already taken the written test and some have even taken the oath and became Canadian citizens.

CIC does not seem to have a specific criteria for taking up all these applications for processing. It should be on first come, first served basis. But that's not what is happening. Its haphazard and there is no logic to why some applications are being processed at break-neck speed, while others continue to languish. For its part, CIC agents continue to maintain that average processing time is 2-3 years, and that I should be dutifully prepared to wait that long. In the meanwhile, my life is in limbo. Due to the fear of CIC, I have postponed all external trips outside of Canada including shopping trips to US. I can't even visit my parents outside Canada. Looks like this is going to be 6 years of captivity inside Canada ! (3 years of mandatory residency & 3 years of waiting for citizenship).

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flute said:
Can't understand CIC's logic at all. I live in Scarborough and I applied for my Canadian citizenship in October 2013. CIC received my application on 3rd Oct 2013 and on 4th Oct 2013, they started processing my application. I received a letter from CIC dated 4th Oct 2013 acknowledging receipt of my application. Along with that letter, they sent me the citizenship study guide - Discover Canada.

Shortly thereafter, my application was sent to Missisauga office in Nov 2013. Since then, CIC call centre agent confirmed to me that criminal check and security check are cleared, and immigration check is in progress. In fact, call centre agents have been singing the same tune, "immigration check in progress" since Feb 2014. Now, I am hearing on this forum that some people who applied after me have already taken the written test and some have even taken the oath and became Canadian citizens.

CIC does not seem to have a specific criteria for taking up all these applications for processing. It should be on first come, first served basis. But that's not what is happening. Its haphazard and there is no logic to why some applications are being processed at break-neck speed, while others continue to languish. For its part, CIC agents continue to maintain that average processing time is 2-3 years, and that I should be dutifully prepared to wait that long. In the meanwhile, my life is in limbo. Due to the fear of CIC, I have postponed all external trips outside of Canada including shopping trips to US. I can't even visit my parents outside Canada. Looks like this is going to be 6 years of captivity inside Canada ! (3 years of mandatory residency & 3 years of waiting for citizenship).
what are you talking about? you arent happy that your file was transferred to your office in November when you applied in October. I applied in October too and I do not expect my test until summer of 2015! Well, it is partly first come, first serve but this is not a coffee shop either... Every file is treated differently and of course depends on your local office and other paramaters that you and I are not aware of....

And why cant you visit your parents - I am flying next month - you just need to inform CIC - life does not stops here... You do as you want and make sure you let CIC know... Release those stress... lol

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Cha2 said:
Okay, good to have it confirmed because she said the same thing yesterday.. I am hoping for a June date or even May!
I have already filled out my Canadian passport application form. The only thing missing on my application form now is my citizenship certificate number and date of issue. :D
Woowww you are very quick Cha2!!!

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Flute said:

you should be pleased that your file was transferred to local office. I recommend you travel freely with no issues at all. Ensure you the CBSA officer stamps your passport when you come back to Canada despite the fact that you had applied for citizenship already. It is just a prrof that you are not planning on leaving Canada and that you were just visiting your parents

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
@Sept 15 just an update for the "October 2013 Application Excel Sheet" - I wrote my test on the 16th of April 2014.

Also I am not the only one from St. John's NL, Mrbravo is but I don't see his timeline on the sheet too. He is also a very active member on this forum :D

Hasss

Feb 19, 2014
Hi all,

I send my application in October 18th, 2013 from Halifax.

They started processing it from March 6th, 2014!

Does anybody else have any idea how much longer I should wait to be notified for the test?

Thanks guys

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hasss said:
Hi all,

I send my application in October 18th, 2013 from Halifax.

They started processing it from March 6th, 2014!

Does anybody else have any idea how much longer I should wait to be notified for the test?

Thanks guys
Hi Hasss,
There is no confirmed timeline for the test invitation. Some applicants do get invited for the test in a record time.

But take my application as an example, I am still waiting for the test. Some MAY/JUNE applicants, from the same local office, have already gotten their citizenship. So it's really hard to tell.

Just hang in there and order your GCMS notes (research the forum for instructions).

Happy Easter :)