+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2013 Citizenship Applications

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
spiker79 said:
Updated myself in the excel sheet.
Thanks mrbravo!
Will these kind of additional information request delay the processing time significantly (I know its a atleast a month dealy)? Just curious.
I think the delay will just be a month which the time it took for you to receive the letter and sending it back with the required documents.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrbravo said:
I think the delay will just be a month which the time it took for you to receive the letter and sending it back with the required documents.
With the new bill to be on table soon, I am working on my wife's application. She is eligible in march 2014.
can i throw auestion here and i am sure you folks will be able to help me.

if you had a flight (toronto) at 1030 pm on may 24, 2011 leaving canada... will you include may 24 as a day in canada OR absence from canada? the entry stamp of the other country says MAY 25, 2011. there is no exit stamp in canada obviously?

thanks

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
With the new bill to be on table soon, I am working on my wife's application. She is eligible in march 2014.
can i throw auestion here and i am sure you folks will be able to help me.

if you had a flight (toronto) at 1030 pm on may 24, 2011 leaving canada... will you include may 24 as a day in canada OR absence from canada? the entry stamp of the other country says MAY 25, 2011. there is no exit stamp in canada obviously?

thanks
Actually you should include it, the calculator will exclude it ! use the caclculator of CIC and put the exact dates as the ones you see on the stamps and tickets

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe said:
Actually you should include it, the calculator will exclude it ! use the caclculator of CIC and put the exact dates as the ones you see on the stamps and tickets
Thanks Ramsfe - you are super quick... I thought i did not pushed on POST and saw your response.. So what I am hearing is May 24 as an absence? Did I get that right.

Thanks Ramsfe... I hope the new bill will not be a law by March 31? I am in a sketchy situation here...

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
Thanks Ramsfe - you are super quick... I thought i did not pushed on POST and saw your response.. So what I am hearing is May 24 as an absence? Did I get that right.

Thanks Ramsfe... I hope the new bill will not be a law by March 31? I am in a sketchy situation here...
Yes you did, actually when counting the days : either the day you leave is an absence or the day you come back is an absence :) Both can't be counted as residency days ! The CIC calculator does the job for you :)

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe said:
Yes you did, actually when counting the days : either the day you leave is an absence or the day you come back is an absence :) Both can't be counted as residency days ! The CIC calculator does the job for you :)
so if she arrived at 10 30 pm in Toronto on Nov 19, I assumed Nov 19 as a Day in Canada...
BTW, sent you a PM.

Take care bud,

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
so if she arrived at 10 30 pm in Toronto on Nov 19, I assumed Nov 19 as a Day in Canada...
BTW, sent you a PM.

Take care bud,
Hey hey Sept15!

I replied to your PM :)

Yes, if she arrived at 10:30 Pm in toronto on nov 19, then it is a day in Canada, however, the day she left is to be counted as a day out ! I've seen this somewhere on CIC's website where they explain how to count the days and so on :)

Anyways, I REALLY hope that your wife will be able to join the boat very soon!

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe said:
Hey hey Sept15!

I replied to your PM :)

Yes, if she arrived at 10:30 Pm in toronto on nov 19, then it is a day in Canada, however, the day she left is to be counted as a day out ! I've seen this somewhere on CIC's website where they explain how to count the days and so on :)

Anyways, I REALLY hope that your wife will be able to join the boat very soon!
Thanks bud. Yes, just saw your response.

I did my little search and I think this is what you were referring to and I concur with your response.

Q4: When I try to calculate my absences, I get different numbers than the residence calculator. How does the residence calculator determine the number of days for each absence?

A4: The calculator uses the following rules to determine the number of days absent for each absence declared:

When calculating an absence, either the day you leave Canada or the day you return is considered an absence, but not both. For example, an absence between July 1, 2003 and July 15, 2003 equals 14 days of absence.
If you leave Canada and come back the same day, you do not have to declare an absence.
An absence on February 29 (leap day) is not counted as an absence, nor is it credited as a presence. See Question 5 for more information on leap days.
Total residence days ending in .5 are rounded up in your favour.
The total number of days absent includes all absences from Canada within the four-year period immediately preceding the date of your application. Because the time spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident is only credited as half-time, absences from Canada before you obtained permanent resident status are divided by two before they are included in the total number of days absent.

spiker79

Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
24-02-2015
File Transfer...
April2015
Med's Request
7th Dec 2015
Med's Done....
02-11-2014, 02-06-2015
Interview........
**Recommend Interview Waiver**
Passport Req..
DM: 24 Mar 2016 PPR 4 April 2016
VISA ISSUED...
6 April 2016, PPT Back 8 April 2016
LANDED..........
21 April 2016
I got the letter from CIC after 6 working days. It was about the different names in different documents. I have already sent back the response.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Two updates about Citizenship Act:

I called Call center and asked whether the law will be retroactive, I tried my luck and got this answer : " no, it won't, all applications in process will continue, it is never going to be retroactive" ... ( Let's be cautious... do people at the call center know more than us ? maybe....)

Something else : next sunday, Minister Chris Alexander will be on " Tout le monde en parle" on Radio-Canada in french to talk about citizenship act and reforms. Tout le monde en Parle is the most popular tv show in french speaking canada! ...

And last point, I talked to the Citizenship and immigration critic of the NDP today, and she assured me that the NDP is going to do whatever it can to make sure that whatever reform will be presented tomorrow will be fair to past and future applicants, not discriminating and transparent.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe said:
Two updates about Citizenship Act:

I called Call center and asked whether the law will be retroactive, I tried my luck and got this answer : " no, it won't, all applications in process will continue, it is never going to be retroactive" ... ( Let's be cautious... do people at the call center know more than us ? maybe....)

Something else : next sunday, Minister Chris Alexander will be on " Tout le monde en parle" on Radio-Canada in french to talk about citizenship act and reforms. Tout le monde en Parle is the most popular tv show in french speaking canada! ...

And last point, I talked to the Citizenship and immigration critic of the NDP today, and she assured me that the NDP is going to do whatever it can to make sure that whatever reform will be presented tomorrow will be fair to past and future applicants, not discriminating and transparent.
Thanks for sharing this Ramsfe. You are on top of things. I would agree that CIC call staff would know at least more than we do because Executive will also give heads up and there are always those 'coffee chats'...

Will we be able to see the details of the bill tomorrow? or it wont be open for public?

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
Thanks for sharing this Ramsfe. You are on top of things. I would agree that CIC call staff would know at least more than we do because Executive will also give heads up and there are always those 'coffee chats'...

Will we be able to see the details of the bill tomorrow? or it wont be open for public?
Hey there Sept15!

As soon as a law gets tabled, it has to go public. The house of commons is a miniature of Canada as a whole, and whatever is said inside is public. Tomorrow, Chris Alexander is going to have a busy day, here is what Trunorth found today : http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/media-advisory-minister-alexander-unveil-204000753.html

So starting 10:30 we will start getting an idea of what the tories have in mind. They are giving this bill a lot of importance for some reason and I am eager to know what this reason is.

By the way, I got my AOR today...going to update the sheet :) ...yep, life goes on !

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe said:
Hey there Sept15!

As soon as a law gets tabled, it has to go public. The house of commons is a miniature of Canada as a whole, and whatever is said inside is public. Tomorrow, Chris Alexander is going to have a busy day, here is what Trunorth found today : http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/media-advisory-minister-alexander-unveil-204000753.html

So starting 10:30 we will start getting an idea of what the tories have in mind. They are giving this bill a lot of importance for some reason and I am eager to know what this reason is.

By the way, I got my AOR today...going to update the sheet :) ...yep, life goes on !
Thanks bud... I will keep an eye and an ear open!
and hoping to read something from here as well.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-citizenship-revamp-to-lengthen-permanent-residents-waiting-period/article16723176/

" Mr. Alexander is scheduled to unveil the bill in Toronto on Thursday, shortly after it is tabled in Parliament."

The official tabling of the act will start at 10:00Am at the house of commons, the act will be called "An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts"

They will surely amend the citizenship act, the criminal code, they can't touch the constitution because they need the appproval of all the provinces, they will also probably modify the immigration act....

This is going to be HUGE! International press will be talking about Canada tomorrow....

We will probably be able to watch the tabling on the HOC's webcast : http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/parlvu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?contententityid=11220&date=20140206&lang=fr

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, you all know by now what the new act entails!

Minister Chris Alexander was asked about the applications already in process and answered clearly " This law will only apply to new applications, nothing will happen to applications already at CIC"