+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

man1983

Oct 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have TWO questions and I truly need your help clarifying them and I'm sorry if I'm repeating the questions here:

I'm in the process of submitting my citizenship application. The eligibility period I'm submitting is Oct 2012 - Oct 2017. I have almost 4 years of residence in Canada so I'm definitely eligible!

1- In question 10 b, they are asking in the past 4 years if the applicant was in another country for more than 183 days. Do they mean past 4 years from the date of the application? Or do they mean 4 Calendar years? The answer is very important for me as if they mean only the past 4 years from October 2017 that means it should go back to Oct 2013 and in this case I won't need to submit a police certificate from UAE where I worked there from the beginning of 2013 till Aug 29th.

2- I have renewed my PR card about 1 month ago. I did this through using a consultant. The process was a long one and my consultant advised me to include lots of documentations just to convince the processor of my application (they sent a communication asking for colored copies of my passports + translation and the consultant submitted even my bank statement for 4 years along with rental bills, telephone bills, employment contract copies, etc). Should I do the same with my Citizenship application by submitting more than what is required documents? Is there something wrong with submitting more supporting documents than the required ones? I just want to avoid any possible delay in the process especially with the already very long processing time.

I truly thank you all for your helpful feedback.

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question: 9(c): During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada: NO or YES

I have a little confusion in this question. If I visited my home country for 3 weeks, should I tick YES to above question ?

Also, I visited USA for 2 days and lived in a hotel. Do I need to mention the hotel address I lived in Question 10(a) ?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question: 9(c): During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada: NO or YES

I have a little confusion in this question. If I visited my home country for 3 weeks, should I tick YES to above question ?

Also, I visited USA for 2 days and lived in a hotel. Do I need to mention the hotel address I lived in Question 10(a) ?
No to both.... your vacation was just that. A vacation. You mention that in the calculator.
And no you don't have to give address for hotel. Again just enter stay in USA in calculator.

arax30th

Nov 26, 2012
What's wrong with it? It says Montreal, is that wrong??
No I mean cell B4 in the Averaged Comparison sheet, it has the numbers only up to row 96 :D that aside, it takes a lot of effort to maintain the sheet, good job! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: meayman

rrajendra

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
1- In question 10 b, they are asking in the past 4 years if the applicant was in another country for more than 183 days. Do they mean past 4 years from the date of the application? Or do they mean 4 Calendar years? The answer is very important for me as if they mean only the past 4 years from October 2017 that means it should go back to Oct 2013 and in this case I won't need to submit a police certificate from UAE where I worked there from the beginning of 2013 till Aug 29th.
they mean past 4 years from the date of the application

2- I have renewed my PR card about 1 month ago. I did this through using a consultant. The process was a long one and my consultant advised me to include lots of documentations just to convince the processor of my application (they sent a communication asking for colored copies of my passports + translation and the consultant submitted even my bank statement for 4 years along with rental bills, telephone bills, employment contract copies, etc). Should I do the same with my Citizenship application by submitting more than what is required documents? Is there something wrong with submitting more supporting documents than the required ones? I just want to avoid any possible delay in the process especially with the already very long processing time..
No, submit only the documents listed in the checklist that is part of the application package

Reactions: jsm0085

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@meayman Could you please add me to the tracker as well! Thank you :)

App. Type: Single
Physical Presence Days: 1444
App. Sent: Oct 3
App. Delivered: Oct 17 (will be delivered)

Last edited:

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@man1983

Hello everyone,

I have TWO questions and I truly need your help clarifying them and I'm sorry if I'm repeating the questions here:

I'm in the process of submitting my citizenship application. The eligibility period I'm submitting is Oct 2012 - Oct 2017. I have almost 4 years of residence in Canada so I'm definitely eligible!

It's from the date of the application - which you'll confirm when completing the residency calculator. It's nothing to do with a calendar year.

2- I have renewed my PR card about 1 month ago. I did this through using a consultant. The process was a long one and my consultant advised me to include lots of documentations just to convince the processor of my application (they sent a communication asking for colored copies of my passports + translation and the consultant submitted even my bank statement for 4 years along with rental bills, telephone bills, employment contract copies, etc). Should I do the same with my Citizenship application by submitting more than what is required documents? Is there something wrong with submitting more supporting documents than the required ones? I just want to avoid any possible delay in the process especially with the already very long processing time.

No - this doesn't help. Provide what's been asked for and you'll make the officer's life easier. Provide a large amount of needless paperwork doesn't assist.

I truly thank you all for your helpful feedback.