+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

SoftwareEngg

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
It’s ridiculous that October applications are not yet granted citizenship and 2018 applicants are invited for oath I know people from September 2018 who are citizens only 6 months. The funny thing is most of us October applicants had more extra eligible days which never matered we are victims of liberal government I suppose lol
True.. most frustrating part is that I am here in Canada since 2009.... never gone back to my home country except few visits in the States...

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
True.. most frustrating part is that I am here in Canada since 2009.... never gone back to my home country except few visits in the States...
It doesn’t matter, they will keep telling you everybody’s situation is ‘unique’ and you can’t compare with others .... to me it’s just each case officer is uniquely lazy or incompetent and doesn’t want to do their job

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
18 months and waiting. RQd. interview a long time ago. losing hope there will be any update anytime soon :( ATIP didnt help. MP keeps saying they will check but I noticed after multiple times of calling that they only checked with IRCC the first time I contacted them. They actually left the remaining calls and follow ups without any action.

being Iranian and being RQd= you are at the mercy of the officer. I think we can at least joke about it: this is how I see Canada's IRCC these days: getting an entry visa (20 years ago): kind of easy. You can even do it online nowadays. Getting a PR: about 10 years ago: kind of hard but doable. Now getting citizenship: Canada will not easily let you "exchange" your beautiful Iranian passport for a Canadian one. They will do whatever they can first to tell you that you are not good enough for them although you have met all the requirements. This is the reality if you apply as an Iranian from Montreal (or probably any other office).

I must add that from what I see from other people (no matter what their nationality is), is that IRCC has been very slow lately. There are many people without test invites. It sounds as if there is some sort of structural deficiency happening. Whatever it is, due to the sheer number of applicants, non of us can complain too much after the change in law caused this huge surge in applications. If anything, only when 24 full months have passed we can judge about how IRCC has actually done its job. I believe 24 months should be good enough of a time for the large number of applications which are waiting in different stages. What is strange is that IRCC is unwilling to change the 12 months standard processing time on its website.

Last edited:

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
18 months and waiting. RQd. interview a long time ago. losing hope there will be any update anytime soon :( ATIP didnt help. MP keeps saying they will check but I noticed after multiple times of calling that they only checked with IRCC the first time I contacted them. They actually left the remaining calls and follow ups without any action.

being Iranian and being RQd= you are at the mercy of the officer. I think we can at least joke about it: this is how I see Canada's IRCC these days: getting an entry visa (20 years ago): kind of easy. You can even do it online nowadays. Getting a PR: about 10 years ago: kind of hard but doable. Now getting citizenship: Canada will not easily let you "exchange" your beautiful Iranian passport for a Canadian one. They will do whatever they can first to tell you that you are not good enough for them although you have met all the requirements. This is the reality if you apply as an Iranian from Montreal (or probably any other office).

I must add that from what I see from other people (no matter what their nationality is), is that IRCC has been very slow lately. There are many people without test invites. It sounds as if there is some sort of structural deficiency happening. Whatever it is, due to the sheer number of applicants, non of us can complain too much after the change in law caused this huge surge in applications. If anything, only when 24 full months have passed we can judge about how IRCC has actually done its job. I believe 24 months should be good enough of a time for the large number of applications which are waiting in different stages. What is strange is that IRCC is unwilling to change the 12 months standard processing time on its website.
It is annoying that this thread is still active. It is not only Iranians from what I judge, being from the middle East gets you flagged right away. Then it's up to the agent and his/her scale of competence.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It is annoying that this thread is still active. It is not only Iranians from what I judge, being from the middle East gets you flagged right away. Then it's up to the agent and his/her scale of competence.
Well I am from nowhere near Mideast and still not done after 17 months.... I wonder if I can get my money back if just call IRCC and say I don’t want it anymore since it doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen anyway

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
Well I am from nowhere near Mideast and still not done after 17 months.... I wonder if I can get my money back if just call IRCC and say I don’t want it anymore since it doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen anyway
Maybe you look middle easterner :)

Afarp

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
the same here I am from Africa , may be they are doing more sceening on muslims ? I may be wrong lol may be that is the case , it been for me 18 months with out test

ersar

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017

I don’t think nationality has to do much with citizenship application. It depends on where you initiated the application. I was waiting for 13 month in ontario and nothing happened when I moved to Alberta it took only a few month for everything to be finalized Montreal and Ontario are the worst

Reactions: Majidqta

cn2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't make any sense that applicants from 2018 already got their citizenship and people from 2017 still here waiting for the test or oath or some other BS background check excuse. What I see here is that IRCC is discriminating again males from several regions without any logical reason. It doesn't make sense that they take many refugees without much background check and then they treat permanent residents of this country who have been working and paying taxes and have saved money and speak good English like a bag of garbage. Let me tell you something about these BS background checks that we are all waiting for here, IRCC puts on hold applications that they want to purposely delay and they change the status in the system to "background check" so when you call or when the MP calls, what they see is just background check. I work for the federal government and also worked closely with RCMP. A background check takes two weeks MAXIMUM, so almost all of your background checks finished long time ago, but IRCC puts the applications that they want on hold by changing the status to "background check" and they can do this any time and at any stage that they want. That’s why you see your application keeps waiting for background checks not because it’s needed but just because they want to delay your application. They are certainly discriminating again males from several regions which is disgusting and against human rights. If it's easier for a country to let in refugees much faster and easier than permanent residents who are normally educated or have skills, then that country is doomed in the future and I am very concern about this country's future. What made this country grate was the great immigrants who came here and built this country together. I know so many engineers and doctors and other professionals who were very qualified and they couldn't get in through the normal process so lawers told them it'd be easier for them to apply as refugees to get in and since they didn't want to lie they went to other coutries. This is a serious problem, if the government is that stupid to treat educated and qualified people like that, I can guarantee that this country will fail soon in the future and will become like many other corrupt countries in South America or other part of the world. If they continue this stupid way they will have serious problems soon and their economy and dollar value is showing that. I know it may not be a good idea, but I am so offended that I am applying for a few other countries to get out of here and live in a country that at least does not have a hypocritical government like this. Good luck to all.

Last edited:

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It doesn't make any sense that applicants from 2018 already got their citizenship and people from 2017 still here waiting for the test or oath or some other BS background check excuse. What I see here is that IRCC is discriminating again males from several regions without any logical reason. It doesn't make sense that they take many refugees without much background check and then they treat permanent residents of this country who have been working and paying taxes and have saved money and speak good English like a bag of garbage. Let me tell you something about these BS background checks that we are all waiting for here, IRCC puts on hold applications that they want to purposely delay and they change the status in the system to "background check" so when you call or when the MP calls, what they see is just background check. I work for the federal government and also worked closely with RCMP. A background check takes two weeks MAXIMUM, so almost all of your background checks finished long time ago, but IRCC puts the applications that they want on hold by changing the status to "background check" and they can do this any time and at any stage that they want. That’s why you see your application keeps waiting for background checks not because it’s needed but just because they want to delay your application. They are certainly discriminating again males from several regions which is disgusting and against human rights. If it's easier for a country to let in refugees much faster and easier than permanent residents who are normally educated or have skills, then that country is doomed in the future and I am very concern about this country's future. What made this country grate was the great immigrants who came here and built this country together. I know so many engineers and doctors and other professionals who were very qualified and they couldn't get in through the normal process so lawers told them it'd be easier for them to apply as refugees to get in and since they didn't want to lie they went to other coutries. This is a serious problem, if the government is that stupid to treat educated and qualified people like that, I can guarantee that this country will fail soon in the future and will become like many other corrupt countries in South America or other part of the world. If they continue this stupid way they will have serious problems soon and their economy and dollar value is showing that. I know it may not be a good idea, but I am so offended that I am applying for a few other countries to get out of here and live in a country that at least does not have a hypocritical government like this. Good luck to all.
Well, even though the background check doesn’t take long, you need to remember it will take them much longer to actually look at the result and put down that check mark on your file ... I did my FP the day after they requested , RCMP took 3 days to finish the result and send to them, and the IRCC call agent has confirmed they received it - but told me it hadn’t been looked at yet, that’s two weeks after they received it and logged it to the system - and to think this is just a simple yes/no pass/fail decision from RCMP, they wouldn’t even bother to just take a look

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
Thank you! Good luck to you as well.

fiso85

Aug 7, 2013
I am also one of the Oct 2017 applicants without any luck. But I don't think stuff that is being discussed here is entirely based on facts. My explanation for this delay is that this is a result of an inefficient system, not intentional delay.

A short story:
- I used to work in a very small engineering start-up. With little to no predefined process, no documentation or approval procedure, everything was done so quickly and things were moving fast.
- Then I started working in a much older origanization with hundreds of employees. Any process that used to take me 30 minutes in my previous job, now takes me over a day, sometimes a week! Not because people of lazy, because there are so many approval procedures and standards and etc that tie you down.

Now instead of this large origanization, think of the government. The procedures are so old and cumbersome that a simple document check might take many months to be completed. Is it because the officer is lazy? Of course not. It's because of an inappropriate procedure.

The difference between the large organization that I work for and the government is that people in executive team in my company constantly try to find these bottlenecks and make the procedures more efficient to make more money. But the problem is that in the government, there is little to no incentive for people at high level to make this process more efficient. Specially, when the number of affected people in grand scheme of things is very small.

With regards to background check, it appears that once you are entered this process, you are pretty much stuck for months. Sources from media and trustworthy news agencies report that some nationalities are more likely to have to go through this process. But I don't think once your entered this process, nationality plays an important role in the processing time.

So, please stop being pessimistic and keep your hopes up :)

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
What's even worse is that some applicants in 2019 are already being sent test invites, while others in 2017 are still waiting.