+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI - requirements

Gill1234.shergill

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Hello Guys,
I need some information for applying OCI for India.

1) Which document I need to submit just a photo copy and which one original.
Canadian Passport- Copy or original
Citizenship certification- Copy or original
Parents passport – Copy or original
Birth certificate- Copy or original
Landing document – Copy or original

2) Also, after filling part A/B online got option to submit document there is no option to upload citizenship certification and landing document?

I have uploaded Indian/Canadian passport, birth certificate (relationship certificate) is that enough?

3) Document attached should self attested? Is it means must sign on documents just by myself not notary attested right?

Thanks!

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
You should follow this thread for answer to this question : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/page-99#post-7691092
Also the document requirements depends on who is applying and what type (for child born in canada on parent's Indian passport, spouse applying on Spouse's Indian origin etc).
Assuming you have an Indian passport and applying as a family

(1) Canadian Passport- Copy
Citizenship certification- Copy and original
Parents Indian passport – Copy and original
Birth certificate- Copy and original (of child if Canadian born, but parents wont need this). If the child is born in India you just need their passport.
Landing document – Copy and original
Parent's landing document - Copy and original
(2)
Uploading documents Check list for Toronto scroll all the way to the bottom of the document. It clearly explains what needs to be uploaded depending on applicant type : https://blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/toronto-OCI-checklist-rev-11-1-jan-19.pdf
(3) Yes self is good. But for marriage certificate - it depends - check the check list above.

Gill1234.shergill

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Thanks for quick reply :)...

I am applying OCI just for myself, (as a adult application)...

1) In that case, am i required to submit parents's original passport copy ?(photo copy self attested by parents ?)
2) I have Indian passport that has been expired am i required to submit original passport along with application ?.. I have not surrender Indian passport yet, can I just submit original passport so they can keep it or there is another application for surrendering Indian passport before applying for OCI card.?

2) The self attested in it required back of the document or front mains pages ??

Last edited:

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
1. Adult applicants do not need parents passport
2. Just last held passport. There is another application for surrendering. Did you do any research on BLS website ?
3. Pages with content - sign them .

TBO

Aug 14, 2019
Hey guys,

I am currently applying for surrender and OCI via post to BLS brampton. I was wondering about the Purolator fee.
1. DO I pay first for pickup from my house ?
2. Then include two bank drafts of $35 ?

Thank you!!

Canada1200

Jun 19, 2019
@TBO No draft required nor accepted for purolator fee.
I paid purolator fee by my card via BLS customer care. 4163072237

Canada1200

Jun 19, 2019
Hey guys,

I am currently applying for surrender and OCI via post to BLS brampton. I was wondering about the Purolator fee.
1. DO I pay first for pickup from my house ?
2. Then include two bank drafts of $35 ?

Thank you!!
HI @Canada1200,
Did you pay $35 once only ?
I submitted application at BLS myself. I paid $30 for original docs return, $30 for Surrendered passport return and $30 for OCI courier.
Call the BLS customer care. Ask them what u need to pay and how much.
Good luck

TBO

Aug 14, 2019
I submitted application at BLS myself. I paid $30 for original docs return, $30 for Surrendered passport return and $30 for OCI courier.
Call the BLS customer care. Ask them what u need to pay and how much.
Good luck
Thank you for you replies!!

TBO

Aug 14, 2019
Hi guys,

Can i submit surrender and oci applications for my family members (Parents + brother) in person at BLS brampton or do they all have to be there ?

Thanks!

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hi guys,

Can i submit surrender and oci applications for my family members (Parents + brother) in person at BLS brampton or do they all have to be there ?

Thanks!
Hi,
Were you able to submit OCI application for all your family members? Did you have to take separate appointments for each one of them.
Appreciate your response.

TBO

Aug 14, 2019
Hi,
Were you able to submit OCI application for all your family members? Did you have to take separate appointments for each one of them.
Appreciate your response.
Hi,
I submitted all my family members' applications together in person, and I believe that you can put all in one package for mailing too.

Cheers!!

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hi,
I submitted all my family members' applications together in person, and I believe that you can put all in one package for mailing too.

Cheers!!
Thank you. I live close by to BLS Toronto. So, will be going in person as well.

ibypatel4454

Dec 3, 2019
Hello guys,

I am applying for OCI card.an adult application.(unmarried).and i didnot surrender yet my Indian passport.
so what could be the procedure for that and what is the documents requirements for OCI nd surrender of Passport?
May i need to give origional or photocopie of passport and landing record of my parent?
Generally it takes how long the procedure time of OCI and surrender of passport?
Hoping for best answer.
Thank you.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hello guys,

I am applying for OCI card.an adult application.(unmarried).and i didnot surrender yet my Indian passport.
so what could be the procedure for that and what is the documents requirements for OCI nd surrender of Passport?
May i need to give origional or photocopie of passport and landing record of my parent?
Generally it takes how long the procedure time of OCI and surrender of passport?
Hoping for best answer.
Thank you.
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php