+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
All photos are taken at BLS itself right? Or do we need to get them taken ourselves?
I took the photos at home.

Then I used Free Passport Photo website to crop to the right size.
Since they do not remove the background for free, I used Free Background Remover from Adobe to remove the background.

I then used the BLS email address* to send the photos and print them at BLS.

However, if you are going in to BLS, then you don't have to do any of the above. The charge is the same. I did it so that not all members of my family had to go personally to BLS.

*bls.brampton40@gmail.com for Brampton, I don't know about other locations

Last edited:

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
I intend to do everything in person. Do I need to take photo in that case? I dont get why a digital copy is needed, do we need to upload a photo at any point?
You need a digital photo and a physical photo (and they need to be the same) for the OCI application
The Surrender application does not need a digital photo.

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
I recently applied for Canadian passport and preparing to apply for the surrender certificate. Is online appointment on the BLS website the only option ? At the current timelines I will have to wait till May to get an appointment in Montreal BLS. Any suggestions please
Do it online.
I am in Toronto and it took me ~7 weeks to get the Surrender certificate back.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
BLS Toronto did not require it for me. But, just a letter stating where you work. It is typically available on the hR portal. But I think you can write it yourself too.
Would a paystub work? Or I can write a letter that I work at XYZ at ABC position and also provide the details of the employer like address, phone email etc.? Thanks in advance for your help.

to_munda

Feb 13, 2022
You need a digital photo and a physical photo (and they need to be the same) for the OCI application
The Surrender application does not need a digital photo.
Just curious: Why do you need to take a digital AND a printed photo to BLS in person?
To me, I thought, because you already upload the digital photo on their online portal,
when you submit your online application, you just need to take a printed one with you, isn't it?

Reactions: Abhinandhan7

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
BLS wont let you book another appointment within a week, they trace using your passport number. However try using your canadian passport number but I would suggest cancel the first one because it frees up slots for others.
Thanks. I actually canceled my earlier slot and was able to book a new one. My question was more of a hypothetical, specifically, does BLS entertain out of jurisidiction applicants? e.g. can an applicant from Vancouver be accepted by BLS Toronto?

ironsheikthelegend

Star Member
Dec 21, 2021
Would a paystub work? Or I can write a letter that I work at XYZ at ABC position and also provide the details of the employer like address, phone email etc.? Thanks in advance for your help.
Paystub along with the letter you worded above should be fine and can be uploaded at the OCI online application. The HR provided me a similar document (minus the paystub) that I uploaded on the OCI application but like I said BLS did not need it when I submitted my application as a walk in.

mylone

Jul 12, 2012
Just curious: Why do you need to take a digital AND a printed photo to BLS in person?
To me, I thought, because you already upload the digital photo on their online portal,
when you submit your online application, you just need to take a printed one with you, isn't it?
you need a digital photo to upload with the application later you print the application form with the photo. Additional to this you attach a physical copy of the same photo.

ironsheikthelegend

Star Member
Dec 21, 2021
Thanks. I actually canceled my earlier slot and was able to book a new one. My question was more of a hypothetical, specifically, does BLS entertain out of jurisidiction applicants? e.g. can an applicant from Vancouver be accepted by BLS Toronto?
I doubt it. They will need an address proof. You will have to provide them with an ID that contains your Toronto address or some utility bill. They sent one guy (while I was submitting my application) back who was at BLS toronto but was originally a resident of Ottawa. He did not have any document proving his address in Toronto (rental lease, driver license, utility bill etc).

Reactions: dineshrehab

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLS never seems to disappoint with contradictory information.

So you know how when you call the call centre they say for tracking number and application related issues dont call instead send an inquiry with the web form and they will respond within 24 hours? Well I sent them one and this was the the response I received after 3 days, What the actual F.

Thank you for contacting BLS International Services. This is an automated response confirming the closure of Ticket No. 147539. For your reference, the details of the ticket are listed below.

Ticket ID: 147539
Issue:
Type:
Reason:
Closure comments:
Dear Applicant,

Greetings from BLS International Services

Kindly contact us on our call center number :+ 2899070027 for assistance.

For more details please visit blsindia-canada.com/

Regards
BLS International Service

• Haha
Reactions: indigonation5

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Paystub along with the letter you worded above should be fine and can be uploaded at the OCI online application. The HR provided me a similar document (minus the paystub) that I uploaded on the OCI application but like I said BLS did not need it when I submitted my application as a walk in.
I am thinking of writing a letter myself stating that I work in XYZ company at ABC position and sign it myself. And I am going to provide my paystub along with the letter. I have not uploaded anything except my Indian Passport.