+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
For postal applications I believe you can take the photo yourself.

As @Hot2Cold recommended get a digital copy of the photo or scan the physical photo per the OCI resolution. I paid $3 for this service and got it done via a online provider called Passport-photo.online

UPS charges $17 for a digital photo.
I intend to do everything in person. Do I need to take photo in that case? I dont get why a digital copy is needed, do we need to upload a photo at any point?

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Naive question, is an appointment necessary to submit an application on a "walk-in" basis. Unfortunately, for Ottawa jurisdiction, I'm seeing that there are no available appointments all the way till May. That seems a bit ridiculous.
did u try other section? Visa , passport? Usually visa section appointments are available

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make sense of the Indian passport surrender process but I'm finding the website confusing.

Do we need to submit original of Canadian passport and the citizenship certificate along with a copy of each?

I'm assuming the Indian passport has to be sent in original so that they can cancel it. A copy of the 1st and last page is required.

And what is an observation in a passport? Do they mean they want a copy of all visa stamps in both Indian and Canadian passports as well?!
Observation is probably the first and last pages of Indian passport. In canadian passport there is a observation page i guess

Reactions: ms453

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
I'm trying to send my application by mail. I live in Toronto so I'll probably be sending to the Brampton office.

I would appreciate the inputs of people who have gone through the process recently.
Try walk in - saves lot of trouble.
Or use the consular camp next week.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I intend to do everything in person. Do I need to take photo in that case? I dont get why a digital copy is needed, do we need to upload a photo at any point?
I believe a digital copy is required to be uploaded for OCI, I have yet to go through this process.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make sense of the Indian passport surrender process but I'm finding the website confusing.

Do we need to submit original of Canadian passport and the citizenship certificate along with a copy of each?

I'm assuming the Indian passport has to be sent in original so that they can cancel it. A copy of the 1st and last page is required.

And what is an observation in a passport? Do they mean they want a copy of all visa stamps in both Indian and Canadian passports as well?!
I am undergoing this nightmarish process right now.

No need to submit original Canadian passport.
Make photocopies of the photo page and the observation page, there is a separate page for this on your Canadian Passport and any page with stamps.

I sent all pages of the copies of my Indian passport but in my returned application I noticed the pages without visa stamps had been removed so I guess they only care about pages with information on it.

monarchV

May 30, 2018
I recently applied for Canadian passport and preparing to apply for the surrender certificate. Is online appointment on the BLS website the only option ? At the current timelines I will have to wait till May to get an appointment in Montreal BLS. Any suggestions please

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
I am undergoing this nightmarish process right now.

No need to submit original Canadian passport.
Make photocopies of the photo page and the observation page, there is a separate page for this on your Canadian Passport and any page with stamps.

I sent all pages of the copies of my Indian passport but in my returned application I noticed the pages without visa stamps had been removed so I guess they only care about pages with information on it.
Got it thanks for letting me know. This whole process is crazy. To think we are the land that manufactures software engineers for half the planet and yet our own govt still can't get everything in order. Hail digital India!

Reactions: ajtoronto

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
did u try other section? Visa , passport? Usually visa section appointments are available
Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to get a better slot under the "visa" section.
Also, in case I need to rebook, would you happen to know if BLS will process an appointment at a different jurisdiction? BLS Brampton seems to always have a lot of slots but unfortunately my address does not fall under Toronto jurisdiction.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
For OCI what do we submit as Professional Details of the applicant? Do I write a letter stating my employment details? Or job offer letter?

Torontosingh

Apr 28, 2021
I recently applied for Canadian passport and preparing to apply for the surrender certificate. Is online appointment on the BLS website the only option ? At the current timelines I will have to wait till May to get an appointment in Montreal BLS. Any suggestions please
Two options -either by appointment or Send application via mail.
Try for booking an appointment early morning between 8am to 9am

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to get a better slot under the "visa" section.
Also, in case I need to rebook, would you happen to know if BLS will process an appointment at a different jurisdiction? BLS Brampton seems to always have a lot of slots but unfortunately my address does not fall under Toronto jurisdiction.
BLS wont let you book another appointment within a week, they trace using your passport number. However try using your canadian passport number but I would suggest cancel the first one because it frees up slots for others.

Reactions: funloving